shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with graduated 7 stone proportions

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Just started working on a graduated 7 stone band. Math is my weakest point. I have some preliminary measurements that I wanted to run by the experts. I’ve already purchased the 5.25 so everything else has to be built around that stone.

3mm
3.8mm
4.6mm
5.25mm
4.6mm
3.8mm
3mm

Are these good? Crazy? Thanks!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's just over 28 mm without any metal from the setting. What is your ring size? How far down between your fingers do you want it to go? More info would be helpful.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
That's just over 28 mm without any metal from the setting. What is your ring size? How far down between your fingers do you want it to go? More info would be helpful.

Thanks. My ring size is 7. I don’t mind stones between the fingers. I’ve ordered a 1 ct 7 stone to wear and to help me understand proportions. I may use some stones from it as well. Perhaps I ought to go smaller with the 6 flankers…

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the proportions will be great, but agree that the smallest stones will be between your fingers, which maybe fine depending on the setting. I have a 5 stone with similar size stones, size 6.5 finger if that helps.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's any help, my e-ring is a 5 stone on a size 5.75 finger. My stone diameters in mm are 4.61, 5.3, 5.73, 5.32 and 4.65.

Attachments

• 20210618_133637.jpg
    20210618_133637.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 47

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
In case it is helpful, I have a graduated 5-stone bezel band, ring size 7.25

3.26mm
4.33mm
5.62mm
4.33mm
3.26mm

IMG_7077-30.jpg IMG_7078-30.jpg

Thank you, it is helpful. I appreciate you. Beautiful ring!

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
These are 5 stones, and perhaps you've seen this, but it might help a bit with visualizing proportions
graduated.jpg

I’m going to try and mirror these proportions! I have a .45 ct 5.04mm stone coming, and will flank it with two around .25-28 and the last two will be .14 because I already have them on hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to try and mirror these proportions! I have a .45 ct 5.04mm stone coming, and will flank it with two around .25-28 and the last two will be .14 because I already have them on hand.

Okay, don't kill me, I think you are on the right track changing to 5 stones, but with a size 7, you need bigger stones than .25 and .14 for the sides. You can't go by those cushions' weight if you are doing round stones. A size 6 can fit five low set .40 stones. So five 4.7mm stones is 23.5 mm, so I think a size 7 should be able to go to 23-25mm.

So if you really want this to be graduated, you'd need to go back closer to your very first set of numbers but leave off the two end stones. Look at Alene's ring above. I looked up her thread and her stones were .27-.45-.60-.47-.28 cts on a size 6.5 with bezels.

If you go with a .5 carat center, 5.1mm, sides at .35 at 4.5 mm, and then .25 at 4 mm, you'd be at 22mm. You could actually do .5, .4, .3 and have better finger coverage. Or go closer to Alene's around .60 center with sides .40 and .25. That would show the graduation a little more.

Where did you order the center diamond? It's usually best to order all the stones at one time in order to match them, if you are looking at new diamonds. You definitely would want the cut to match.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 i think she already has the .14s so wants to use those.

Yes, I know, but she will not have good finger coverage using those. They are too small for the ends of a 5 stone on a size 7 finger unless she gets 3 larger stones for the center (see marymm's ring above). The other option would be to do a band of all .14s....7 stones or how many will work to span the top of her finger.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I don’t think you’ve mentioned how you plan on setting them. Are you doing prongs or bezels?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, don't kill me, I think you are on the right track changing to 5 stones, but with a size 7, you need bigger stones than .25 and .14 for the sides. You can't go by those cushions' weight if you are doing round stones. A size 6 can fit five low set .40 stones. So five 4.7mm stones is 23.5 mm, so I think a size 7 should be able to go to 23-25mm.

So if you really want this to be graduated, you'd need to go back closer to your very first set of numbers but leave off the two end stones. Look at Alene's ring above. I looked up her thread and her stones were .27-.45-.60-.47-.28 cts on a size 6.5 with bezels.

If you go with a .5 carat center, 5.1mm, sides at .35 at 4.5 mm, and then .25 at 4 mm, you'd be at 22mm. You could actually do .5, .4, .3 and have better finger coverage. Or go closer to Alene's around .60 center with sides .40 and .25. That would show the graduation a little more.

Where did you order the center diamond? It's usually best to order all the stones at one time in order to match them, if you are looking at new diamonds. You definitely would want the cut to match.

Thank you :)

I have a .45 ct on the way that’s a bit spready at 5.04 x 5.08. This will be the center if I like it. It’s an MMD F VS2 Ideal cut IGI cert. 1.0 HCA. I believe I will go with mined diamonds (GIA where possible) for the flankers, simply because I’m struggling to find MMD melee. So I’ll be pulling one in at time in F and G colors and running them though the HCA and my eyeballs
I will buy one stone (returnable) at a time to play with proportions as well as color matching.
3,4,5,4,3 mm will have me at 19 mm, adding about 4 mm for prongs and that’ll be sufficient coverage, I think. We shall see. Trying to get my engineer BIL to work something up in autocad for me.

My size 7 finger is due to chonk knuckles. Below the knuckle is more like a 5.5 or 6

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
OP I don’t think you’ve mentioned how you plan on setting them. Are you doing prongs or bezels?

U prong or trellis. I need an open gallery so I can get in there and clean them.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I know, but she will not have good finger coverage using those. They are too small for the ends of a 5 stone on a size 7 finger unless she gets 3 larger stones for the center (see marymm's ring above). The other option would be to do a band of all .14s....7 stones or how many will work to span the top of her finger.

I have a 1ct 7 stone with all 14 pointers coming. Hopefully tomorrow! I’ll share it in SMTB. But my forever ring is going to be the graduated one. Thank you for your advice :) I’m taking all of the comments to heart and I’m going to take my time.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I see your 1 ct 7 stone arrived. Are you happy with the finger coverage? It looks great to me. Those stones must be just about .14 or.15 each so I'm wondering if you think it helps you with the size of the stones for the ring we are discussing in this thread?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
OP I see your 1 ct 7 stone arrived. Are you happy with the finger coverage? It looks great to me. Those stones must be just about .14 or.15 each so I'm wondering if you think it helps you with the size of the stones for the ring we are discussing in this thread?

Yes! It does help me to calculate exactly how many mms I need for finger coverage. And I’m hoping it’ll help with selecting some proportions, too. When my ‘center stone’ arrives I’ll post it up here as well. I will purchase the first set of flankers relatively soon, too. Thank you.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Your initial graduation is a bit too much I think

I think so too. I keep waffling. Currently I’ve decided I want a very subtle graduation. I’m just going to have to experiment one stone at a time based around the .45 center (if it will ever arrive)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think so too. I keep waffling. Currently I’ve decided I want a very subtle graduation. I’m just going to have to experiment one stone at a time based around the .45 center (if it will ever arrive)

i hope the 45 pointer is not 5.25mm
Buy some CZ's and experiment

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
i hope the 45 pointer is not 5.25mm
Buy some CZ's and experiment

It’s not quite that spready. It’s 5.04. I sent the first stone back, the 5.25. Wasn’t impressed with it.

That’s a really good idea, thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results