shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with gold color for prongs for 18kt RG amethyst ring

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I'm having my amethyst set into an 18kt rose gold ring. I have the first drawings, but need help with deciding if I should keep the prongs/basket rose gold or do them in white gold instead. I most likely will not do the scrolls in front of the basket (but will keep the scroll cathedral shank), so please ignore that aspect.

I'm doing single claw prongs. So, any thoughts on RG vs. WG for the prongs/basket (shown in red in the pictures)?

Thanks!

_36137.jpg

31035.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with gold color for prongs for 18kt RG amethyst rin

Gorgeous stone and ring design! I would indeed keep the prongs on the shank and make a different choice for the profile/head.

I would actually suggest yellow gold in the same colour as your wedding ring.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Acinom|1453471742|3979638 said:
Gorgeous stone and ring design! I would indeed keep the prongs on the shank and make a different choice for the profile/head.

I would actually suggest yellow gold in the same colour as your wedding ring.

Thanks! The ring is a RHR so no competition with my wedding ring, which is actually a pave Victor Canera band (the one I'm wearing is my knockabout band, and isn't worn on a regular basis).

I'm not 100% sure about RG- still open to changing it. You think yellow gold is a better choice with the stone?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Based on the photo, yellow gold looks stunning with your skintone and in combination with the Ammy.
Do you have any rose gold pieces? If yes, could you make a pic on your hand and with the stone?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

The stone has been sent off, but I took some (horrible) pictures before.

_36139.jpg

rg.jpg

_36140.jpg

_36141.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

This picture has, from top to bottom:

14kt RG
22kt YG
18kt YG

I'm of Korean descent, but not a pale, fair-skinned Korean...I've got some color to me :D

img_10509.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You cannot go wrong with rose gold but I loooove the 22k yellow gold.
However... whatever your heart tells you will be the right choice.

I have chosen rose gold myself and have not regretted it. But I love your pics with high kt yellow gold. The Ammy seems to get extra oomph.

_1591.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The gallery looks almost completely enclosed and this is a stone that would appreciate a more open profile.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not a fan of white metal with a darker ammy. I love YG with a deep purple color. If you want to bring out more pinks/violets in the stone then go RG. I love, love your stone and IMHO I would go YG for the entire setting which I love BTW.

niter

Rough_Rock

Amethyst can be a tricky stone (in a good way) as it can be complimented by each metal color. It really depends on the mood/tone of your piece and skin color. I think that rose gold suits your skin tone and the stone's colors very well. It would be a safe route and very gorgeous in a timeless way. You could not go wrong with rose gold and it is what I am leaning towards for my amethyst as it suits the "mood" of what I have in mind. However, I did notice that your stone is very deep and vibrant and the yellow gold complements that well. Purple and and yellow are complementary colors and in your photos this is very evident. If you are doing a two toned ring or different color shank vs. prongs/gallery, I would consider using the yellow gold for a modern pop!

Can you take photos with all your choices together? I was very surprised with how my amethyst looks against white gold and it helped to see all three gold choices together against the stone at the same time.

screen_shot_2016-01-22_at_12.png

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Acinom|1453476070|3979677 said:
You cannot go wrong with rose gold but I loooove the 22k yellow gold.
However... whatever your heart tells you will be the right choice.

I have chosen rose gold myself and have not regretted it. But I love your pics with high kt yellow gold. The Ammy seems to get extra oomph.

I love 22kt gold too...just can't afford it for this project. It's definitely delicious and I think it looks good on my skin!

Love your ring, btw. I have a similar one that I purchased on a Turkey trip.

img_10510.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

niter|1453484052|3979751 said:
Amethyst can be a tricky stone (in a good way) as it can be complimented by each metal color. It really depends on the mood/tone of your piece and skin color. I think that rose gold suits your skin tone and the stone's colors very well. It would be a safe route and very gorgeous in a timeless way. You could not go wrong with rose gold and it is what I am leaning towards for my amethyst as it suits the "mood" of what I have in mind. However, I did notice that your stone is very deep and vibrant and the yellow gold complements that well. Purple and and yellow are complementary colors and in your photos this is very evident. If you are doing a two toned ring or different color shank vs. prongs/gallery, I would consider using the yellow gold for a modern pop!

Can you take photos with all your choices together? I was very surprised with how my amethyst looks against white gold and it helped to see all three gold choices together against the stone at the same time.

screen_shot_2016-01-22_at_12.png

Your amethyst is GORGEOUS!!! What a stone! That was also a great idea to capture all three colors at once. I didn't think to do that, so the best I can do is show the three golds on my finger at once.

Here's another bad shot of my stone and the color of the 18kt RG the vendor will use.

three_0.jpg

_36147.jpg

_36148.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1453476237|3979681 said:
The gallery looks almost completely enclosed and this is a stone that would appreciate a more open profile.

The stone would darken too much with the gallery as-is?

I do want to get rid of the scrolls on the gallery- if I did that, would that open up things to better complement the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, that is my concern. Removing the scrolls will open up the gallery almost completely. However, it will also make the profile a bit plain. What will you replace it with?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results