shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with gift for mom

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I decided to buy a gift for my mom. She's a 50-something cute bubbly blonde. She wears yellow gold rings and mixes metals. Some people look great in all jewelry and my mother is one! She can wear every coloured stone and metal - but she prefers no citrine or yellow diamonds.

I gave her the ring from my avatar and she said she wears it 'only for special'. I'll be taking it back to the US for a few months to repair - stone's not 100% secure and I don't trust Australian jewelers (thinking of using Green Lake).

I'd really appreciate the opinions of other jewelry-loving moms on what is easiest to wear. She loves vintage and is ok with pre-loved. Should I look to get one 'investment' piece? I don't think matchy sets are really in fashion but I'm not opposed.

- Diamond pendant
- Bracelet / bangle
- Dangle-hook earrings

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Budget $2 - $4K flexible

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your mom missing? Is there anything that she doesnt have a really nice piece for? I think a beautiful pendant would be a lovely
gift. I'd make it something more than just a solitaire. Something haloed but with a design.

Like this (I think one of our PSers came up with this design).
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-pendants/bella-diamond-pendant-1377.htm

I think something vintage like this would be pretty but I don't particularly like this one...but you get the gist.
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-pendants/simon-g-tp201-duchess-diamond-pendant-3595.htm

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking you'd like to give her something that complements the ring she considers to be for only special occasions -- or a piece of jewelry she will wear more often?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to receive any of those gifts! But - bracelets are a very personal thing, both in terms of style and fit. I'd be careful with that one unless she already has bangle bracelets that she loves and wears. (And if that's a yes, consider contacting Grace at Jewels by Grace. She's been doing wonderful things with both her simple bangles that showcase one or two bezel-set stones, and bangles made from re-purposed brooches.)

I love shepherd's hook-style earrings, and would love something like these (the dangles, not the studs!) by DBL. There's an ear shot waaaay down the page: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...120ct-tw-studs-gorgeous-color-cut-and-clarity

And as for a diamond pendant - well, I don't think you could go wrong with a nice simple diamond pendant.

So I guess I'm no help! :lol:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow great find those Shepherd Hook style are ideal - though I feel the DBL aren't the best for the price.

I don't think mom is the type to measure her jewelry collection having 'missing' pieces - she wears what she likes - mostly rings and costume items. She can make an $8 necklace from Akira look like a million bucks!

I've pretty much decided to go with your suggestions and narrowed it down:

- Shepherd Hook or Leverback earrings
- 3-stone pendant or DBTY with only 3 stones (for a mom of 3)

Any suggestions for preloved options or the best pricescope.com vendor? I thought the while flash leverbacks were nice but maybe a little less substantial - these pieces would ideally be worn daily when she's not at work (nurse manager).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results