shape
carat
color
clarity

help with GIA diamond!!

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
hi, I found a GIA graded diamond for $16,000. The HCA score is 1.7 and following are the spec, please tell me if this is a good price. Thanks!!

carat: 1.52
color: G
clarity: SI1
cut: Excellent
Polish and symmetry: excellent
fluorescence: none
measurements: 7.47x7.5x4.56
table: 55%
depth: 61%
crown: 34.5
pavilion: 41

I also found a IGI 1.5 for $9000. This diamond is G color, SI1 clarity, excellent cut, no fluorescence. I don't have the other information at this moment, but HCA score for this one is 5.7. I know IGI is not as reputable as GIA but the diamond is a lot cheaper. So please help and tell me which is a better deal.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
jessie1213|1315102209|3009386 said:
hi, I found a GIA graded diamond for $16,000. The HCA score is 1.7 and following are the spec, please tell me if this is a good price. Thanks!!

carat: 1.52
color: G
clarity: SI1
cut: Excellent
Polish and symmetry: excellent
fluorescence: none
measurements: 7.47x7.5x4.56
table: 55%
depth: 61%
crown: 34.5
pavilion: 41

I also found a IGI 1.5 for $9000. This diamond is G color, SI1 clarity, excellent cut, no fluorescence. I don't have the other information at this moment, but HCA score for this one is 5.7. I know IGI is not as reputable as GIA but the diamond is a lot cheaper. So please help and tell me which is a better deal.

Resist the temptation to compare prices of diamonds graded by GIA/AGS vs. a non-GIA/AGS.

Basically, a lab that is less than reputable is that way because they consistently overestimate cut, clarity, and color. Thus, you're comparing apples with some other fruit pretending to be an apple that's not actually an apple. I won't even say it's an orange. If it were definitively an orange, that would imply that the non-GIA/AGS lab actually graded the diamond using strict guidelines to conclude it's an orange. You may get an orange. Or you may get a lemon.

Inaccurate grading and pricing of an inaccurately-graded diamond is laced with deception. And the vendor's tactic is to always make money off of said diamond. Stick with accurately-graded diamonds. Prices of those are far more predictable.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Cedar Rapids is correct...stones with grading reports from other labs often seem like a 'deal' but the reality is that you get what you pay for. Perhaps look at diamond color in person to see what your preferences are? You could save money by dropping down to H or I color. Make sure to look at GIA/AGS only and excellent cut stones (Hearts on Fire or Jared's Peerless are good places to start).

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
thank you guys for the replies!! If I stick with GIA/AGS graded diamonds, would the GIA one I found for $16000 a good buy?

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
I made an appt to go look at the GIA diamond next week, but would like to know if it would be a good deal before going in. Also, if I find the same exact diamond from an online jeweler for $2500 cheaper, would you guys recommend just getting it online? Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the price seems reasonable...I did a search on PS and on Blue Nile and similar diamonds are around 14,000 - 17,000. Is this diamond local? Make sure to look at it in different lighting (not just the jewelry store spot lighting) and see if it is eye-clean enough for you. Some SI1 diamonds can have visible inclusions so you would want to check for that!

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
yep, the diamond is from a local jeweler. I'm going in to see it next week. Is b2c jewels a reputable online jeweler? Do you recommend buying from them if they sell the exact same diamond for $2500 cheaper?? Thanks!

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
jessie1213|1315108563|3009420 said:
Also, if I find the same exact diamond from an online jeweler for $2500 cheaper, would you guys recommend just getting it online?

The same exact diamond? Well, the obvious benefit of buying online is the savings in money. Nevertheless, buying at a local store can be satisfying. You support a local business, develop a relationship with someone who will clean and inspect your ring for the life of the piece (usually), and you get to see the diamond for yourself before buying. If the store has a good return, buy-back, upgrade policy -- you and your diamond are all set. Pun intended.

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
CedarRapids|1315109531|3009430 said:
Also, if I find the same exact diamond from an online jeweler for $2500 cheaper, would you guys recommend just getting it online?

The same exact diamond? Well, the obvious benefit of buying online is the savings in money. Nevertheless, buying at a local store can be satisfying. You support a local business, develop a relationship with someone who will clean and inspect your ring for the life of the piece (usually), and you get to see the diamond for yourself before buying. If the store has a good return, buy-back, upgrade policy -- you and your diamond are all set. Pun intended.

yep, i did a search on www.diamondse/info and found the exact diamond available from b2cjewel. I'm not sure how reputable the site is though.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
jessie1213|1315110059|3009436 said:
CedarRapids|1315109531|3009430 said:

yep, i did a search on www.diamondse/info and found the exact diamond available from b2cjewel. I'm not sure how reputable the site is though.

Since they appear in the search results of this site, they have been vetted by PriceScope. That says a lot right there.

I have no personal experience with them. Some companies have better return, upgrade, buy-back policies. You might want to research that and compare it with your local store.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Maybe start a separate thread asking about that jeweler. I wouldn't worry about a PS vendor though. I'd go with them and save the $$$

cheapiej

Rough_Rock
i've noticed that b2c seems to have pretty good prices for the same diamond available to other ps vendors.

i have found their response time and follow-up more than acceptable.

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
thank you for all your inputs!! i really appreciate it!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would totally toss out the IGI stone- not necessarily because it is IGI but because of the 5.7 HCA. Cut is super important to me.

That being said- for the other stone you found- I would buy it online for the 2.5K cheaper price!

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
have you found out anymore about b2cjewel as an online supplier? Do they have a good reputation?
Cheers

nelly81

Rough_Rock
I should have mentioned in my post above - do they provide images of the stone, idealscopes etc? is their return policy reliable?
How do they define eye clean?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
nelly81|1315454569|3012351 said:
I should have mentioned in my post above - do they provide images of the stone, idealscopes etc? is their return policy reliable?
How do they define eye clean?

I don't think b2c provides images and idealscope images (but you could always ask). I would also check with them about their return policy and whether or not they can have a stone in-hand to determine if it is eye-clean.

different vendors offer different levels of service which could affect their prices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results