shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with gemstones

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I didn't know that it was a color shifter, but I tend to like color shifting stones unless they get too dark. I'm still convinced that this zircon looks better in hand than the other ones you had initially considered.
I agree with this one looking better. I had told the gemologist that I didn’t think I’d be interested in those stones but she really wanted me to see them in person. I did, and they really didn’t interest me.

Do you think it looks too dark?

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Do you think it looks too dark?
I'm afraid you'll have to be the judge on that one. Depending on where you live, the lighting conditions will probably be different from where I am. In California, where there is plenty of natural light even indoors, a stone will not look as dark as somewhere where you don't get a lot of light.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I'm afraid you'll have to be the judge on that one. Depending on where you live, the lighting conditions will probably be different from where I am. In California, where there is plenty of natural light even indoors, a stone will not look as dark as somewhere where you don't get a lot of light.
Yes, that’s true. It was somewhat overcast here when I took the photos. I was just wondering if it was performing unusually for a blue zircon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue zircon come in various shades of darkness (tones), some are bright sky blue and almost neon, and some are darker. If you search “Jeff White blue zircon” on this forum, you’ll see varying shades. He has many blue zircon customers here.

Here’s a thread with lots of blue zircon

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-zircon-thread.222759/

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Blue zircon come in various shades of darkness (tones), some are bright sky blue and almost neon, and some are darker. If you search “Jeff White blue zircon” on this forum, you’ll see varying shades. He has many blue zircon customers here.

Here’s a thread with lots of blue zircon

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-zircon-thread.222759/
Thanks TL. I am familiar with Jeff White. I’ve also been looking at that thread. The beautiful rings are what made me finally decide to give zircon a chance. I am a little worried about the durability. It won’t be an every day ring, and I’m pretty careful with my jewelry. I guess I just haven’t seen a lot of them in real life to compare. I took more pics and it looked peacock-blue this time. I’m starting to think it’s pretty cool.

Reactions: T L

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge zircon fan, and I think that stone is gorgeous!!! I wear my zircon rings all the time. Over time zircon can get some facet abrasions, but they can be polished . Just don't wear it for housework, etc.
Have you seen the stone under super bright lights? That's when a zircon really comes to life. They are so beautiful! I wore mine out to eat the other day, crazy fireworks off of it under the bright lights. (Yes, I'm the crazy lady taking pictures of her ring at a restaurant). 20190422_211757.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="CHRISTY-DANIELLE”]. (Yes, I'm the crazy lady taking pictures of her ring at a restaurant). 20190422_211757.jpg [/QUOTE]

... or Home Depot
the grocery store
At the mall
Disneyworld
On a walk

I can relate.

Oh dearo_O

Who needs Disco balls when there’s zircon!

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I'm a huge zircon fan, and I think that stone is gorgeous!!! I wear my zircon rings all the time. Over time zircon can get some facet abrasions, but they can be polished . Just don't wear it for housework, etc.
Have you seen the stone under super bright lights? That's when a zircon really comes to life. They are so beautiful! I wore mine out to eat the other day, crazy fireworks off of it under the bright lights. (Yes, I'm the crazy lady taking pictures of her ring at a restaurant). 20190422_211757.jpg

Your ring is stunning! I usually take pictures of my food at restaurants. :D The funny thing is, I was at Walmart earlier and I was thinking that I really should have brought the zircon with me. I am always mesmerized by my diamond ring under Walmart lighting. I was thinking…this is where I should come to photograph gemstones. :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, mostly in the car!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, @thirdrock :wavey:

I share @T L 's concern that the zircon may be too deep for the setting. It's roughly 30% deeper than is typical of a round diamond with a face-up diameter of 9 mm. So my suggestion would be that you confer -- before the return window closes -- with the bench/benches whom you considering for the reset to find out if it's doable & what the cost would be.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I also hope the stone is not too deep for your setting.

HI, @thirdrock :wavey:

I share @T L 's concern that the zircon may be too deep for the setting. It's roughly 30% deeper than is typical of a round diamond with a face-up diameter of 9 mm. So my suggestion would be that you confer -- before the return window closes -- with the bench/benches whom you considering for the reset to find out if it's doable & what the cost would be.

Oh boy, you guys are probably right. The diamond that was in the setting previously was larger than 9mm, so I thought I had enough room. I had also looked before and there seemed to be extra space. Now that I look again, there really isn’t much room at all.

upload_2019-4-23_0-2-29.png
upload_2019-4-23_0-2-49.png

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I'm no bench jeweler,but I'm thinking the bulbous shape of the zircon is also problematic, not just the difference in depth :?:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :((

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round stones are the easiest ones to find, so unless you absolutely adore the gem, I would send it back and look for something else. Gary may even have another gem that works better for you in that setting. It’s going to be very expensive to set that stone, and it also concerns me that because of the depth, it will be sitting high up on the finger, and therefore much easier to bang into something.

If you have your heart set on a blue zircon, often they are diamond cut, much like a round brilliant, and the dimensions on such a cut would better suit your ring.

Example
IMG_6282.JPG

Last edited:

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice TL. I didn’t really have my heart set on a blue zircon. Maybe something more durable would be better for the ring. I guess I have to decide if I want to keep this one anyway and put it in another setting. Would it have to be custom made because of the shape?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice TL. I didn’t really have my heart set on a blue zircon. Maybe something more durable would be better for the ring. I guess I have to decide if I want to keep this one anyway and put it in another setting. Would it have to be custom made because of the shape?

To your last question, most likely. If you want a more durable gem, some examples are spinel, chrysoberyl (if you like yellowish gems), garnets, and of course sapphire (which can be costly and difficult to shop for). Tourmaline comes in a wide array of colors, but it’s not an everyday wear ring. There’s also the beryls, like aquamarine and morganite but sometimes they are irradiated and the color can fade.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been looking at sapphire, spinel and chrysoberyl. Those were all pretty hard to find in a 9mm round. I probably would prefer one of those 3 though. I recently opened my search up to garnet and zircon after I purchased a yellow sapphire ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline might be your best bet then. I often see it being cut in rounds and it’s so varied in color. I would just be careful of red/hot pink tourmaline because it’s sometimes irradiated, and the treatment isn’t detectable. You’re right about 9mm rounds being difficult to source though. If it were an 8mm stone, or smaller, it would be easier.

He cuts lots of round gems so you can get some ideas.

https://m.facebook.com/RiouxRocks/

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something pretty and inexpensive ask Jeff to custom cut you a topaz or a mid or lighter blue zircon in the exact size you need like this one but a bit smaller;

https://jefferydavies.com/categories/topaz/

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Tourmaline might be your best bet then. I often see it being cut in rounds and it’s so varied in color. I would just be careful of red/hot pink tourmaline because it’s sometimes irradiated, and the treatment isn’t detectable. You’re right about 9mm rounds being difficult to source though. If it were an 8mm stone, or smaller, it would be easier.

He cuts lots of round gems so you can get some ideas.

https://m.facebook.com/RiouxRocks/

If you want something pretty and inexpensive ask Jeff to custom cut you a topaz or a mid or lighter blue zircon in the exact size you need like this one but a bit smaller;

https://jefferydavies.com/categories/topaz/

Thanks guys. I’ve reached out to both of these sellers in the past. I’ll have check in with them again.

You can try it from diamondgold store.
Do you mean for a setting?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know who Diamond gold is, but trade members are supposed to identify their trade status, and I assume this person is in the trade because their handle is the name of the store. They’re also not allowed to self advertise, so that post has been reported to the moderators.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results