shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with first black tie event

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's long-wearing, highly-pigmented, matte/velour lipstick.
It claims to be moisturizing, but in general, long-wearing types tend to be drying.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It really does look fabulous on you and the lighting in the ball will probably be dark, so most people will just notice color (and not that it looks dry).
It will help to exfoliate your lips before you apply it that night (just use some sugar or ground coffee) and then make sure your lips stay hydrated from now until then. Apply your lipstick and blot. Reapply as needed. It's not really that complicated and judging by the pictures, you've got it figured out. If the dryness really bothers you, you might want to buy something else or just bring a gloss/balm and your lipstick with and reapply as needed throughout the night.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1479397925|4099779 said:
Yes, that's long-wearing, highly-pigmented, matte/velour lipstick.
It claims to be moisturizing, but in general, long-wearing types tend to be drying.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It really does look fabulous on you and the lighting in the ball will probably be dark, so most people will just notice color (and not that it looks dry).
It will help to exfoliate your lips (just use some sugar or ground coffee) and then make sure your lips stay hydrated from now until then. Apply your lipstick and blot. Reapply as needed. It's not really that complicated and judging by the pictures, you've got it figured out.

I like it a lot, I might just be too neurotic for dark matte colors or have unrealistic expectations of what lipstick "should" look like based on what I see on TV lol.

I'll try the exfoliating/lip balm/blot and repeat thing though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best lipstick I've bought.

Lasting and EASY TO APPLY (these long lasting ones can be hard to apply) is the Sephora Brand lipsticks. 12 bucks too and they will teach you how to apply it, and you can try on any of 500 colors to find the right one.

Seriously go to Sephora, when it is not a busy day.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479446427|4100041 said:

Lasting and EASY TO APPLY (these long lasting ones can be hard to apply) is the Sephora Brand lipsticks. 12 bucks too and they will teach you how to apply it, and you can try on any of 500 colors to find the right one.

Oh! I got one of those in the set as well in a great classic red! I think it's too bold to wear to work regularly but I'll definitely be trying it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479446427|4100041 said:

Oh! I got one of those in the set as well in a great classic red! I think it's too bold to wear to work regularly but I'll definitely be trying it!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On the purse front, if you can't find or borrow a clutch, how about a rental?

The last black tie event we attended, we rented a dress from Rent The Runway (which worked out super - the sent two sizes to avoid emergency), but they also do accessories. Most of it is jewelry, which you seem to have covered (+1 for the red spinel), but they have some clutches.

From a quick look, how about something like this:
https://www.renttherunway.com/shop/designers/sondra_roberts/criss_cross_minaudiere

I hope the event ends up being a blast!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat. I'll keep that in mind!
Yeah I have trouble with renting dresses because I'm short and curvy and often need to get my dresses altered for a flattering fit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, the dark lipstick looks good on you.

I am oriental too, and stockpiled Max Factor's Lipfinity in 108 Frivolous, a very deep/dark pink red, as I do not wish to run out, ever.

For day time and more casual occasions, I go for Lancome's Juicy Tube in Raspberry, and a cheapo lip balm in stick form from drug store.

Just bought myself a tub of original matt powder foundation from Bare Minerals, to go on freshly moisturised skin without the need to use a separate powder on top. Hopefully this does not feel as cakey and heavy on my face compared with the L'oreal powder foundation I got from drug store some years ago.

As for eyes, I go for black, blues and greys if I were to doll up, with liquid black eyeliners winged at the end, and a bit of silver just under the brows for highlight.

DK :))

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That lipstick is amazing on you, it looks so good I'm looking for it the next time I'm at the makeup counter. :love:

Your spinel ring: TDF. The $#it, frankly. Your 5-stone on one hand, the spinel on the other. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Your boots will be fine and you'll be the envy of every woman there with sore feet :lol: :lol: :lol: Guys will see them and think you're beautiful and edgy, not bad!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1479683634|4100877 said:
That lipstick is amazing on you, it looks so good I'm looking for it the next time I'm at the makeup counter. :love:

Your spinel ring: TDF. The $#it, frankly. Your 5-stone on one hand, the spinel on the other. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Your boots will be fine and you'll be the envy of every woman there with sore feet :lol: :lol: :lol: Guys will see them and think you're beautiful and edgy, not bad!!

Thanks!
I wasn't sure if the 5 stone was TOO blingy. I dont know if it'll stand out as too gaudy if the other women have more demure jewelry. But what the hell. It's a black tie event. If this isn't the time to wear the big bling I dunno when is.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to bling, wear what you like I'd say. Afterall when would one wear nice blings if not at a black or white tie event?!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1479763690|4101193 said:
When it comes to bling, wear what you like I'd say. Afterall when would one wear nice blings if not at a black or white tie event?!

True! I just get self conscious of looking like a "show off".

Oh. I've been practicing with lipstick and I've discovered that 1. I love this color! I got so many compliments on it! And 2. Liner makes a huge difference!

_6300.jpeg

_6301.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lipstick does look great and you have amazing skin.

Wear the boots. As long as you keep safe and comfortable, who the xxx cares? Bling it on. Like you said, if not at black tie, when? Chanel bag, yeah, wear that too. It's freakin' Chanel. And I am totally a crossbody girl. It's easy, keeps my hands free, and again...IT'S CHANEL. If I had that bag (clearly I don't), I would wear that crossbody or any which way I felt like and again, wouldn't give a rat's a$$ what other people thought. This is me, if I were you (in my head):

I'm young, gorgeous and cute. I look great in this dress. My lipstick is fabulous. I'm wearing gorgeous bling and a fabulous Chanel bag. I'm in super comfy boots. If you judge me or don't like me, do me a HUGE favor. DON'T TALK TO ME. I'm done.

Have a great time at the event. Tell us all about it!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to come back to share the photos!
Hehe we had many bears crashing the party..

Thanks for all the help!

Also, there was a woman there wearing a knee length dress and I felt so bad for her since she was the only one! Reminded me of a comment in this thread. I wonder if she gave her date a talking to afterwards about not telling her the dress code properly lol.

_6340.jpeg

_6341.jpeg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look fantastic! And your date *obviously* thinks so too :bigsmile: Look at that smile! Oh - and he looks really cute !!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1481708011|4107107 said:
You look fantastic! And your date *obviously* thinks so too :bigsmile: Look at that smile! Oh - and he looks really cute !!

Aw thanks guys! You know how I is looking at photos of yourself. You always see the negatives. Like how I have weird lower arm flab or how my head is so big lol.

He is super cute. He's actually a fitness instructor for the military. It's great because it guilts me into being more disciplined about my own health.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the photos!

You look amazing! I love your gorgeous dress! :love:

I hope you had a fun evening with your handsome date and enjoyed getting dressed up.

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Hi MakingTheGrade,

You look fantastic in your gown! =)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look a-fricken-mazing! Looks like a fun time!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look amazing! Thank you for coming back to share. I hope you had a wonderful time!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FAB! You look gorgeous and your date looks so handsome! I'm glad you had a great time. You can throw down with any of 'em!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results