shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with engagement ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Confused guy

Rough_Rock
I am going to ask my girlfriend of 4 years to marry me in a month, and I dread the process of picking out this ring. I know the basic, the 4 or 5 C''s, but it seems like there is still a lot more to know, even between the type of stone..any ideas or suggestions on where to start the search? My price range is no more then 12k.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Well, since you have decided on a diamond, have you decided on what size and shape? That would be the first thing to help narrow down your search.

*M*

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 10:02:48 AM
Author:Confused guy
I am going to ask my girlfriend of 4 years to marry me in a month, and I dread the process of picking out this ring. I know the basic, the 4 or 5 C's, but it seems like there is still a lot more to know, even between the type of stone..any ideas or suggestions on where to start the search? My price range is no more then 12k.
I was in the same place a few months ago with almost the same budget (and a girl I'd been dating for ~4 years!)

It is an exciting time but it is also daunting. The hardest part is over though, you've found pricescope! The best thing you can do is read the education section several times over, watch the videos, and read the educational material on Good Old Gold's website, www.goodoldgold.com Don't be fooled by the cheezy webpage, it has a huge amount of good, accurate, no B.S. info there.

If the ring is going to be a surprise, ask one of your girlfriend's long-time friends to help out. At some point or another, girls try on rings or tell each other what they like. Round is probably the safest bet, but princess cuts are trendy right now. If she's got a larger hand size, consider a marquis or pear.

The second step is finding out what type of setting she wants -- a three stone cluster? a solitaire? something with channel set diamonds? Alot of guys also purchase the center stone, present it in a temporary setting, then once engaged, go setting shopping together!

For 12k you have a very nice budget.... you could get a beautiful custom setting with a very nice 1.3 carat ideal cut round diamond of nice color and clarity.

Alot of people here push online vendors, but once you become educated, you should feel comfortable going to brick and mortar stores in your area to see what they have available. The benefit of going to B&M stores is that you get to see the diamond before you buy.... although if you get a GIA "Excellent" cut, or AGS 0 / 000 you probably won't be dissapointed even buying it sight unseen.

I hope that helps! Do yourself a huge favor and read up on this purchase as much as you can, its a lot of money you're throwing around there and it will make the purchase more special.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
has she dropped any hints?

this is important: does she like white gold/platinum or yellow gold?

I am in the "no surprise" proposal camp. I strongly encourage to propose without a ring (or with a picture of a ring) and then shop together. this way no problems, no disappointments.

I like pear shape Pears Pears Pears!
3.gif

oh, and read the tutorial at "nice ice" too.

Confused guy

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the info., I will definetlty read the educational section. I live in Chicaog area, so I will most likely buy from Jewelers Row.

Kev 800 - Her hands arent to big, she is belimic, so that shouldn''t be an issue.
31.gif
j/k. I have heard talk about the solitare in the past when her friends got engaged, so I think that will be the way to go. I read al lot on this site today, I feel like a just graduated from Diamond University. I will keep you all posted on what I find. Thanks again
28.gif
25.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you haven't discussed it already, and unless you're set on a completely 100% surprise proposal, next time you're out shopping together let her wander to the jewelry stores and just keep your mouth shut while she talks. She'll tell you what she likes and if you pay attention you can make sure you get the perfect ring for her.

Best of luck!!! You have a great budget, so I am sure you'll find something spectacular.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
1) Check out Dimend Scaasi in Chgo

2) Also, see notes below my signature.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 2:47:57 PM
Author: Confused guy

Kev 800 - Her hands arent to big, she is belimic, so that shouldn''t be an issue.
31.gif
j/k.
I apologize for thread-jacking, and I don''t mean to seem unhelpful since you are a new poster.

But, I just wanted to ask for a little sensitivity. I''m not exactly sure what you meant by the above sentence, but bulimia is not something to joke or kid about. It''s a disease that many people on here may have had personal experience with either through friends or even themselves. Please do not make light of it. Thank you for understanding.

Having said that, best of luck learning about diamonds and finding the perfect ring!

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 4:00:41 PM
Author: havernell

31.gif
j/k.

I apologize for thread-jacking, and I don''t mean to seem unhelpful since you are a new poster.

But, I just wanted to ask for a little sensitivity. I''m not exactly sure what you meant by the above sentence, but bulimia is not something to joke or kid about. It''s a disease that many people on here may have had personal experience with either through friends or even themselves. Please do not make light of it. Thank you for understanding.

Having said that, best of luck learning about diamonds and finding the perfect ring!

Strange way to talk about your girlfriend of 4 years as well.

niku414

Rough_Rock
I agree with ladykemma and neatfreak as far as the setting goes -- I was one of those gals that thought "any ring that my bf picks is fine" afterall it is a symbol of our relationship. One of my friend suggested that we should go together to pick out settings... and BOY was she right. The orginal setting that I thought was perfect didn''t look very good on my finger
7.gif
and I was glad that I was able to pick out a setting that I really liked :) My bf was glad too becaues he didn''t have to waste any money in having to change my settings later on :)

Congrats and Good Luck :)

bfready

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 7:16:00 PM
Author: Unearthed

Date: 3/3/2007 4:00:41 PM
Author: havernell

31.gif
j/k.

Strange way to talk about your girlfriend of 4 years as well.
Thanks for posting this guys. Someone very close to me suffered from bulimia through high school and parts of college. It is certainly a disease that consumes the victim and affects so many people around them. Luckily my friend has recovered and is living a very successful and happy life. But it''s something that victims, friends, and families certainly do not like to see joked about.

That having been said, I second the wishes of good luck and hope you find your perfect ring.

Confused guy

Rough_Rock
That comment was a joke, plain and simple. My girlfriend of 4 years would find that commical, so not to worry. I can''t beleive this would make people upset, 3 of them at that. You 3 need tougher skin, thats the problem with people today, you take everything to heart. Thanks for the advice on the ring, but Im out of this site, to many fruits.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 8:53:44 PM
That comment was a joke, plain and simple. My girlfriend of 4 years would find that commical, so not to worry. I can''t beleive this would make people upset, 3 of them at that. You 3 need tougher skin, thats the problem with people today, you take everything to heart. Thanks for the advice on the ring, but Im out of this site, to many fruits.
Moving on back to your posting,

I also live in Chicago and I went down to Jeweler''s Row to several jewelers. If you''re going to buy on Jeweler''s Row, you might want to consider "New York Jewelers" as they have a terrific reputation, and also a large selection of diamonds.

The problem with jewelers row (and the reason why I didn''t buy there) is that you pay the local taxes, 9.75% ouch! Plus, I kept asking for only ideal cut diamonds and they would bring me non idea cuts into the viewing room.

I almost wish I could go with you!

You should consider buying an idealscope too before you go down there and bring it with you, or ask if they have one.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
One more thing --

Alot of Jewelers on Jewelers'' Row have the same identical settings, these rings where they drop this basket that holds the diamond into the top portion of the ring and solder it in and polish it over. Many of them have sharp edges that catch on clothing and generally just don''t look good over time.

I decided to go to www.mwmjewelry.com and have him make a custom made enagement ring cast out of one piece. Many of the people on these Pricescope forums think Mark Morrell makes some of the most beautiful, well made solitaire settings. You should check it out! Be aware though that getting a custom made piece will take a bit longer....

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Kev,

Something tells me your last two posts are wasted effort...

14.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha.... perhaps! But I just wanted to help him if I could since the users here were so outgoing in assisting me!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Strange sense of humor...

"Thanks for the advice on the ring, but Im out of this site..."

Your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results