shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with engagement ring

Setii

Rough_Rock
So, as many of the people that come here for the first time, asking for help, I've also decided it's time for me to kneel down and pop the question.

I've done some market research and read a lot of the literature here and I've tried to choose something that would make her proud within the limited budget (very limited, compared to most here) that I'm under.

First of all, I live in Europe but all that I've seen leads me to the conclusion that buying in the US will be cheaper (compared to Antwerp, Amsterdam, Paris and whatnot) and should end up being approximately the same price, if including customs taxes (which in my countery is literally the lottery - you may be charged or not, they select packages at random). This to say that if any of you can lead me to a deal in Europe (where FOR SURE I won't have to pay those taxes) that I haven't found, please do. :angel:

My budget for the diamond + setting is ~2.5-3k $US.

I'm not willing to skimp on quality so obviously I have to skimp on size up to a point. What I'm thinking is a round 0.5-0.6 ct, VS1+, along the lines of these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.55-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550646

AGS0, VS1, 0.55ct, HnA, correct proportions (according the post that gypsy has posted on every other advice-looking post eheh :lol:)

The problem with jamesallen.com is the setting - it seems they all have bigger prongs than other jewelers? Can anyone that has bought from them tell me if that's really a big deal as it seems in some of their pictures?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-51ct-g-vs1-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

Also AGS0, VS1, HnA but a little bit smaller and more expensive.

I had more options lined but apparently some of them have been sold. I'll keep looking, of course, but I'll thank all the help you can provide.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are lovely choices! I am not sure if you can specify delicate claw prongs with James Allen or not. What kind of setting are you thinking? I'd go with a simple and inexpensive one and put most of the money in the diamond unless she is wanting another style.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Setii|1453088672|3977370 said:
So, as many of the people that come here for the first time, asking for help, I've also decided it's time for me to kneel down and pop the question.

I've done some market research and read a lot of the literature here and I've tried to choose something that would make her proud within the limited budget (very limited, compared to most here) that I'm under.

First of all, I live in Europe but all that I've seen leads me to the conclusion that buying in the US will be cheaper (compared to Antwerp, Amsterdam, Paris and whatnot) and should end up being approximately the same price, if including customs taxes (which in my countery is literally the lottery - you may be charged or not, they select packages at random). This to say that if any of you can lead me to a deal in Europe (where FOR SURE I won't have to pay those taxes) that I haven't found, please do. :angel:

My budget for the diamond + setting is ~2.5-3k $US.

I'm not willing to skimp on quality so obviously I have to skimp on size up to a point. What I'm thinking is a round 0.5-0.6 ct, VS1+, along the lines of these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.55-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550646

AGS0, VS1, 0.55ct, HnA, correct proportions (according the post that gypsy has posted on every other advice-looking post eheh :lol:)

The problem with jamesallen.com is the setting - it seems they all have bigger prongs than other jewelers? Can anyone that has bought from them tell me if that's really a big deal as it seems in some of their pictures?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-51ct-g-vs1-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

Also AGS0, VS1, HnA but a little bit smaller and more expensive.

I had more options lined but apparently some of them have been sold. I'll keep looking, of course, but I'll thank all the help you can provide.

Hi Setti - - unless there is a specific reason to go VS1+, I wouldn't look at a VS2 as necessarily skimping on quality - - I think you'll find that many folks here on PS would actually encourage you look at this clarity grade - you could then look at tweaking one of the other 3Cs.
Hope this helps

Setii

Rough_Rock
Well, i'm afraid to get a "barely" vs2 and not be completely sure it is eye clean since i'm not physically at the store, just that.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Setii|1453145726|3977601 said:
Well, i'm afraid to get a "barely" vs2 and not be completely sure it is eye clean since i'm not physically at the store, just that.

If you're shopping on the internet then pics should be available. But these magnified pics can also be misleading. There have been a couple of diamonds that could be questionable but people have bought them and confirmed they are eye clean.

Also are you looking for a true ideal H&A cut? You can still get a well cut near ideal that will have nearly indistinguishable performance and it should allow you to go bigger in size. I'd reserve super ideals for larger size where the faceting is more apparent but again that's just my preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results