shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Engagement Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
I know this gets asked a lot on this forum, but I am too in need of help. The specs that I have been looking at are as follow for diamonds

Cut: Ideal to Signature
Color: F to H
Clairty VVS2 - VS2
Carat: 0.75-0.85
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Budget (for diamond): $2500-3000

I''ve been mostly looking at BN and JA but did come across this site tonight and have checked out some stuff on WF as well. But I dont know enough about WF.

Also curious to know what the significance of H&A in terms how the diamond will look? I know how they got the terms H&A but... so what? ;-)

I''ve been eyeing this diamond at JA, what are your thoughts? I''m having a hard time seeing the clouds and feather on the idealscope that are described by the GIA report. The HCA on it is a 1. Any advice on this diamond (see link below)

JA 0.75 diamond

I''m pretty close to buying it...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising, do you have an Idealscope image of the stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 3:56:39 AM
Author: rock_noob
Click on the link it should take you there.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/?module=diamond&item=1270146

But then again I could be mistaken... Its just a photo of the diamond and doesnt have all the crazy H&A, which is probably what you are looking for.
Hi rock noob

The diamond has great potential, it isn''t a h&a diamond though, if thats what you want you would need to look at JA''s True Hearts brand or other brand from the other vendors.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope, Idealscope has nothing to do with H&A, you can request an idealscope image for the stone from JA for free, it will verified if there is any leakage present in the stone.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
I''m not necessarily looking for H&A. I would just like one as close it as possible since I know the prices on the H&A hearts are significantly more expensive. I just sent in a request to JA for the idealscope and will let you guys know if I get it.

I wanted a more brilliant diamond and was going more for the cut, clarity, and then color... Should I be adjusting my specs so I can maximize the value of the diamond I''m trying to find? How does the size of the diamond look to you guys?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 12:25:58 PM
I'm not necessarily looking for H&A. I would just like one as close it as possible since I know the prices on the H&A hearts are significantly more expensive. I just sent in a request to JA for the idealscope and will let you guys know if I get it.

I wanted a more brilliant diamond and was going more for the cut, clarity, and then color... Should I be adjusting my specs so I can maximize the value of the diamond I'm trying to find? How does the size of the diamond look to you guys?
As long as the diamond has excellent proportions then you will get beauty and sparkle, h&a patterning is down to the optical symmetry caused by tight cutting precision. As long as the cut is great and the diamond eyeclean you can consider SI clarity grades and even I or J colour grades to get a larger diamond but this is a personal preference.

.75 is a great size too.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
I wanted around 1 carat but I just honestly dont have the finances to do it RIGHT now, unfortunately. This diamond is going to go on probably a size 6 solataire ring. Do you think it would look okay (meaning not too wimpy?) Also any advice on 2mm vs 2.2 vs 2.5mm rings? ;-)

I wish I knew more about diamonds... I've been reading for the last month and the more I look into the more I'm confused... Well I know some of the basics but there is just way too much information. It's like knowing enough to hurt yourself but not enough to help yourself.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 12:36:41 PM
I wanted around 1 carat but I just honestly dont have the finances to do it RIGHT now, unfortunately. This diamond is going to go on probably a size 6 solataire ring. Do you think it would look okay (meaning not too wimpy?) Also any advice on 2mm vs 2.2 vs 2.5mm rings? ;-)

I wish I knew more about diamonds... I''ve been reading for the last month and the more I look into the more I''m confused... Well I know some of the basics but there is just way too much information. It''s like knowing enough to hurt yourself but not enough to help yourself.
I think that size will be beautiful and will suit that size finger too, nothing to worry about! If you would like to get a larger stone as time and finances permit, go with a vendor who has a generous upgrade policy so you can eventually upgrade. As for settings personally I like a 2mm band to make the diamond pop but this comes down to personal preference.

And don''t worry, we will take good care of you and help you every step of the way!

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all of the advices that I''ve been getting in this thread. Extremely helpful! Lorelei, am I looking at the right specs or do you think I go a bit lower, like looking at "I" clarity diamond vs an H or a G so I can get a bigger diamond? I definitely dont want very much yellow, but the question is will the yellow be apparent when its in the setting, which is what matters to me.

I''ll try to scour some more websites today and see if I can find any other diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 12:58:22 PM
I appreciate all of the advices that I''ve been getting in this thread. Extremely helpful! Lorelei, am I looking at the right specs or do you think I go a bit lower, like looking at ''I'' clarity diamond vs an H or a G so I can get a bigger diamond? I definitely dont want very much yellow, but the question is will the yellow be apparent when its in the setting, which is what matters to me.

I''ll try to scour some more websites today and see if I can find any other diamonds.
Glad you are finding us helpful! I think you are doing fine, for an engagement ring I would not go lower than SI2 clarity, colour - GIA or AGS graded I or J colour won''t look yellow at all especially if the cut is great. What I would suggest is, if there is a Jareds closeby go and view their AGS0 Peerless brand in I and J colour, that way you will get a much better idea of how white these colour grades can look, or if you have a Hearts on Fire dealer you could look there.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Yea i''m probably going to go some local jewelry stores today to check out some diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 1:03:17 PM
Yea i''m probably going to go some local jewelry stores today to check out some diamonds.
Thats good, try to view diamonds of known cut quality where possible, if you could find some AGS0 that would be perfect.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 1:12:27 PM
What do you think of this one?

0.81 carat I VS2 H&A

Its a lovely diamond, there is a small area that can be seen on the ASET in green at around 9 o'clock, not sure what has happened there whether that area had a different cutting technique used in that spot, ask Jon from GOG if you are interested in this one.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Glad I''m showing you pictures! I obviously did not see anything wrong! ;-) Thanks. I''ll be looking!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 1:18:52 PM
Glad I'm showing you pictures! I obviously did not see anything wrong! ;-) Thanks. I'll be looking!
You are most welcome! The diamond is a beauty, I just have the query on that one area, I think I know what it is and why and it is actually fine but just check with Jon if you are interested concerning that area.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Forgot to ask earlier, but how do you know its not a H&A? And is there any way to find those that come close? Or is merely just based on whether they are designated as H&A?

Date: 12/9/2009 4:10:40 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 12/9/2009 3:56:39 AM

Click on the link it should take you there.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/?module=diamond&item=1270146

But then again I could be mistaken... Its just a photo of the diamond and doesnt have all the crazy H&A, which is probably what you are looking for.

Hi rock noob

The diamond has great potential, it isn''t a h&a diamond though, if thats what you want you would need to look at JA''s True Hearts brand or other brand from the other vendors.

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Jim and his associates at JA are extremely helpful! Answering all of my questions. Currently pending the idealscope and will report back to this thread once I get it.

Spent this afternoon looking at some local jewelry stores. One was very helpful and actually went through the AGS/GIA cuts, clarity, etc with me. Some were trying to sell me some "deals" for I and SI2 diamonds. One store I felt like I was being sold a used car. He was trying to sell me "E-F" color diamonds with SI2 clarity, but they all had poor light reflection and large inclusions. In summary, I learned that 0.75 - 0.85 carats will be just fine, and "I" color is definitely still very clear! ;-) It just depends on the quality of the cut!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 3:17:17 PM
Forgot to ask earlier, but how do you know its not a H&A? And is there any way to find those that come close? Or is merely just based on whether they are designated as H&A?

For a H&A, they will need to post the hearts image. Without that, there is no way to tell.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For your reference, here is a .80ct diamond on a size 6 hand! The e-ring band is 2.3mm and the wedding band is 2mm. This is a J color ideal cut diamond from WF.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 9:29:23 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
For your reference, here is a .80ct diamond on a size 6 hand! The e-ring band is 2.3mm and the wedding band is 2mm. This is a J color ideal cut diamond from WF.
Would help if I attached the pic
2.gif

80ptssize6hand.jpg

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 12:36:41 PM
I wish I knew more about diamonds... I''ve been reading for the last month and the more I look into the more I''m confused... Well I know some of the basics but there is just way too much information. It''s like knowing enough to hurt yourself but not enough to help yourself.
LOL yea I know what you mean. Having gone through the process I think if you don''t get to this point you are not trying hard enough
2.gif

Sounds to me like you are on the right track
9.gif

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Thanks outatouch0! Makes me feel a little bit better.

Dreamer you got any close up shots of the ring on your finger?

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Dreamer any other close-up pics? I''m still debating between the 2mm vs 2.2 or 2.5mm ring Thanks!
28.gif

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
I''m only good at math and sciences and if that means I have to discriminate between 2.00mm and 2.01mm I will! LOL!

I can''t afford a huge diamond right now so I want to try to get it in a setting that will make it appear slightly larger than its weight. Thank you for the thread and replies!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 1:00:41 AM
I''m only good at math and sciences and if that means I have to discriminate between 2.00mm and 2.01mm I will! LOL!

I can''t afford a huge diamond right now so I want to try to get it in a setting that will make it appear slightly larger than its weight. Thank you for the thread and replies!!!
Again, 2mm versus 2.5 will not make much of a visual difference when worn. Which company are you buying from? Maybe I can suggest a setting...

rock_noob

Rough_Rock
Dreamer, this is quite the MONEY SHOT!

dreamerpic12.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results