shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Emeralds

DMK8888

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm looking to buy a 2.5-2.75 carat emerald cut. This is my second marriage and for my first, I bought Renee Newman's diamond ring buying guide which seemed to help me more when I picked out a round cut.

My current search parameters on all the big sites are: 2.4 - 2.9 carat, H or better, VVS2 or better and under $30k with a GIA cert. The best I can, I'm trying to keep to excellent polish and symmetry and none or faint fluorescence.

I also went to a few stores in NYC to look at emeralds under a 10x loop but am still sort of confused and unsure when I see the dark lines in the diamond, especially when viewing diamonds online and it continues to make me hesitant to pull the trigger. Below is an example of a diamond that checks the boxes but on specific angles in the 360 view, it has those dark spots / lines.

I wanted to ask the professionals here their thoughts on this diamond and maybe a few pointers or explanations on what it is that I should look out for in an emerald to better understand what I'm looking at.

Additionally, are the parameters above reasonable or might I be able to expand them a bit (maybe include I and VS1) to buy a bit larger within the price range as long as there aren't any inclusions on the table? I plan on setting the diamond in a platinum ring so was worried an I color might appear too yellow? I did see a couple I color diamonds in person at stores in NYC and they didn't appear too yellow to me but this is still worrying me for some reason...I fear I'm color blind and not seeing what others will see! haha

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and feedback.

Hey there, welcome to PS! Congrats on your marriage. Emeralds (and all fancy cuts) are tricky and need to be judged in person or via video. There really aren't any magic numbers to help, unfortunately.

That said, I think H/I color is great as long as it doesn't bother you. Most people don't see those colors as "yellow" at all. I think VVS clarity is probably overkill. I'd say VS2+, maybe VS1+ to be safe if you are eagle eyed.

The "dark lines" you're seeing are the facets going "off" as the stone rotates. What you want in theory is to have some facets "off" and others "on" instead of all "off" at once. This is an example of a stone where the middle facets all turn off together, which isn't great.

Happy to take a look for you!

Thank you for these and the information above - it's really helpful and no, it certainly doesn't need to be under 3ct for the right ring! I really appreciate you finding these for me; at a minimum, they give me good reference for what I should be looking out for in a diamond, along with your explanation about the facets being "on" and "off". I hadn't heard of it explained that way and it really helped, so thank you!

I love the 3.11. It is IGI which is OK with me but OP, you had said GIA. IMHO how it looks matters more, with a few exceptions.

Thank you everyone, the 3.11ct that @lovedogs suggested is the winner - looks like a beautiful ring!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP