Which design should I choose?

• Trapezoid sides

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • (Much less expensive) baguettes

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I’m having my 2.8ct Zambian moderate oil emerald set.

The stone cost me £5k. So it “deserves” a decent throne to sit on, but I really didn’t want to spend a bomb on setting and wanted something I could wear every day - low to the finger, not too blingy so I steered away from a halo.

I went to the jewellers and am now struggling to decide between these two options.

The baguette sides are much more wearable but the traps literally look like they were separated from the emerald at birth - the proportions are so gorgeous.

Someone talk me into being sensible and going for the $2,000 setting instead of the $6,000 setting. The baguettes do look lovely too. 5E7C624B-0DFC-4731-8EB6-7178B9600C72.jpeg E8137074-4123-4F07-B723-4D33FD954739.jpeg

I am wondering if you’d like it better if the baguettes were horizontally placed, not vertically? Possibly also in a cathedral style. Sort of like this:
3C84EBFC-AF08-485A-8CB0-D178EBD1BFC2.jpeg

ACFD0106-15D0-42DA-BB9F-D803B068130E.jpeg

You could experiment with both tapered and not tapered, but the horizontal stones will make the emerald look bigger I think! I tried to put a picture of both tapered and not tapered.

I would personally not spend (edit: 6k!!! I definitely misread that the first time round o_O) on a setting for a 5k stone, because to me that money is better served in a different piece of jewelry, but you’ll have to weigh your own priorities of course :)

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not turn the bags sideways. That’s what elevates that design from boring to exciting. the traps are cool and would be great but if you want me to say it’s to expensive. Ok. But I love it lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDB5BEA6-74B7-4393-8F79-D4719F57C2BE.jpeg
In looking for the diamond setting to say I love it do that- I also saw this halo which if you feel like the bags don’t do quite enough- you could go that route.
0A5D6757-CCB0-4FB5-9D77-BDF49C62235F.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I do already have a garnet set like that that I never wear because I’m not keen on the height of the setting. Hence looking for something with a little more width.
61E7A2BD-171E-4D32-A29B-3071CCFA7AA6.jpeg

Have you considered using MMD or moissy traps btw, if you really want the look at a more affordable price? Might work out to be significantly cheaper, though of course not for everyone.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Have to say I’m usually a halo girl, and that halo ring you posted is gorgeous, but I already have a bigger emerald in a very bling halo for “fancy schmantzy” occasions. This was supposed to be the wear to work, suitable for daytime little sibling. I’m clearly not good at minimalism!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Another option, inspired by @JPie’s?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have to say I’m usually a halo girl, and that halo ring you posted is gorgeous, but I already have a bigger emerald in a very bling halo for “fancy schmantzy” occasions. This was supposed to be the wear to work, suitable for daytime little sibling. I’m clearly not good at minimalism!

I’m not here to talk you out of those traps I love those

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the traps actually longer than your emerald, not including the clipped corner? It is a beauty of a look though!
if going for bags, I’d change up their size from what you show now and mimic @mochiko42‘s layout.
877FD209-A62B-41BA-AA58-DCB243AEFDB8.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh that geometric design is lovely!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I got a great deal on the emerald - bought it wholesale price - one of the benefits of living in Abu Dhabi - so I don’t mind spending a little more on the setting. I’m waiting for the grading certs on the traps to see what I’m getting for the cost. I’d expect to pay north of $4k for a matched pair of traps weighing 1.15 tcw in the colourless VS range. For some reason step cut traps seem to be the priciest side stones around.

collier

Shiny_Rock
I love the traps, but either way is a strong and simple clean look. Just for fun, want to share your big blingy emerald here so we can see the difference?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I got a great deal on the emerald - bought it wholesale price - one of the benefits of living in Abu Dhabi - so I don’t mind spending a little more on the setting. I’m waiting for the grading certs on the traps to see what I’m getting for the cost. I’d expect to pay north of $4k for a matched pair of traps weighing 1.15 tcw in the colourless VS range. For some reason step cut traps seem to be the priciest side stones around.

Your emerald is gorgeous and this is a very exciting ring project!!

Just FYI, I think you could get the traps for less if you are willing to buy them yourself and look internationally.

I bought these epaulette diamonds for $1100, J Si1. They are 6.9x3.6mm, shown here with the yellow zircon they are going to be set with.

1610901344810.png

Here is an example of Parksfinegroup pricing of traps and similar step cut side stones:

1610901422295.png

1610901479618.png

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I know, you’re right. One of the reasons you don’t buy diamonds at a B and M shop - always overpriced and limited selection.

I think I’m actually going to go for a couple of my jewellers more affordable baguettes and possibly deconstruct that garnet ring and use the diamonds from that to save cost. I never wear it. Might even trade in the gold. It’s 18k so would defray some of the cost.

If I didn’t have so many projects in the box to set I might just go for it but I know I could do so much more with that cash.

I love those epaulettes. I’m going to look for a pair of half moons to go with a violet oval sapphire. Will have a look at Parks.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I second Ivy and rose. They had a beautiful set of half moons, but it sure if they are sold. Lots of pairs there in general.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an Apatite being set East-West with Moissy baguette sides for a minimalist look, here is the CAD that I approved, in Rhodium-plated Silver with a Rose Gold bezel for the stone itself:

Capture.JPG

I don't have it yet to post hand shot, sorry; hopefully it will be with me soon!

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
Trapezoids or baguettes, I don't think is as important as the proportions. In the two options you posted, the trapezoids make the emerald look small, and I prefer personally to have the colored stone be the standout.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Trapezoids or baguettes, I don't think is as important as the proportions. In the two options you posted, the trapezoids make the emerald look small, and I prefer personally to have the colored stone be the standout.

That is a very fair point. It’s a lovely stone and I don’t want to swamp it.

Got another trip to the jewellers today to play with baguettes. Will add pics of the final design.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the traps!! I’d look for a more affordable pair, including lab, white sapphires, imitation. You could go lower cost and replace with diamonds down the line perhaps. Personally the design with traps is more enduring and pleasing to my eye.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I decided to cannibalise the tapered baguettes from my garnet ring and add them to the baguettes in pic 1.

Despite the fact I really loved the traps.

Given the economic environment I’m not optimistic about February’s bonus potential and school fees aren’t getting any cheaper.

Practical and cost conscious - very unlike me. But I have so many other projects to complete and I don’t want to eat too much into my sapphire bracelet fund.

I will however be amazed if I don’t upgrade to a pair of traps or Cadillacs within a year - might have to sell a child.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I will however be amazed if I don’t upgrade to a pair of traps or Cadillacs within a year - might have to sell a child.
[/QUOTE]

If this is the case then do it right the first time, even if it takes longer. That's is my vote.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I’d go with smaller traps, the ones on the original post are a bit overwhelming relative to the emerald. Smaller ones would be more budget friendly too.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results