shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Emerald cut diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevin11

Rough_Rock
Hi. I would like to get some opinions on a ring my girlfriend is looking at. It's a platinum ring with 2 baguettes and 2 rounds (.45 carat) on the sides, with an emerald cut diamond in the center with the following specs:

Carat - 0.73
Color - D
Clarity - VSII

We weren't informed enough at the time to ask about the cut - table, depth, L/W, etc... We'll find that out when we go back.

I just wanted to get an idea if the price seems reasonable. Maybe there's not enough information here to determine that. They wanted $3500 for everything (I belive the diamond was $2500 and the setting $1000).

Is there anything else in terms of the quality of the diamond that we should be asking the jeweler about? We're kind of new to this and we want to make sure we're getting a good deal.

Thanks,
Kevin

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Kevin, it's tough to tell without more complete information. If the diamond is well cut, the price sounds great. Sounds great on the semi-mounting as well.

The specs to ask for from the jeweler are:
Fluorescence
MM Measurements
Length to Width Ratio
Total Depth
Crown Height
Pavilion Depth
Girdle Thickness
Culet Description
Polish
Symmetry
Side Stones Quality

A diagram of the characteristics of the emerald cut would be nice to have as well. All this information is supplied on a diamond grading report, either from a major laboratory or an independent appraiser. Sometimes stores issue their own reports, which could be fine, but I would recommend having it confirmed from an independent source.

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
All this information is supplied on a diamond grading report
-----------

Actually, I should probably amend this statement. Not all laboratories and appraisers supply this complete a description of the cut. GIA, for example, leaves out the crown height and pavilion depth.

Ask specifically for all these specs to be described. If the report they have is "incomplete", ask for the specs in question to be supplied, or for them to allow you to have it supplied through a visit to an independent appraiser.

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results