shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with DK CADs Please

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help and feedback with replacing my engagement ring. Now that I have chosen a sapphire, I need help with the CADs drawn up for me by DK. I liked the first CAD and received the plastic model but it looked squarish/cushion shaped instead of an oval shape, and it didn't fit my stone. He drew up second CADs with measurement suggestions now that I have the precise measurements of the stone. I can't really tell if there's much of a difference so I just wanted to know if there is anything I should change before I approve the CADs and send the stone.

These two rings were my inspiration:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVAckLl_9F/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHMCy2l34H/

The plastic model:
fullsizeoutput_197c.jpeg

First and second CADs:
47601-QUAD-2.jpg 47601-QUAD.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a novice CAD reader so take what I say with a grain of salt. BUT the prongs don't look evenly spaced to me both in the wax and on the CADs. Hopefully this is a result of them not having your stone yet to measure but it's puzzling to me as to how they can do CADs without it. :think:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to bring it up.
But there's a thread on here about a certain trillion spinel that I think this happened to. Same jeweler. I think the ring CAD wasn't made to the unique scanned specs of the stone. Just made to generic measurements.
Granted your lovely oval looks to be precision cut and the trillion was not. But- there is so much variances of curves in oval outlines beyond the w x l x d.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Is it just me or are the stone measurements the same in both CADs? If the first one didn't fit your stone is the new one going to be OK?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CAD’s look pretty similar to me, with the exception of the center stone size being changed. The CAD on the bottom (new cad, I believe) appears to have been rounded out just a smidge which is what you’re going for but it doesn’t look like the diamond melee was adjusted along with it. It looks like there’s more metal visible around the diamonds now.

Btw, I’d love to see this new sapphire. :D

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I’m going to mail in my stone so that he can have a better idea of my stone and how to make the oval fit around it. I realize that it’s kinda a shot in the dark without precise measurements. Hopefully I’ll be able to update with the finalized CAD.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple notes. The stone size was the same in both CAD. The size of the melee looks bigger on the second version. Your stone (if the numbers are right) is not as elongate as the inspiration. So, I'd ask DK to make the melee on the sides smaller than on the tips. That will slim down the width and make it more elongate. The prongs being at the "corners" will make this more cushiony looking by making the stone squarish. I'd look at changing it to 8, total prongs.
upload_2018-11-10_11-34-59.png

Or, use a more vintage prong arrangement by adding curved tabby prongs. These will help maintain the curved look.

458331-74b731e814389c176de727d9bf12b24c.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results