shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond up to $10k

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock
Hey!

I'm looking for a diamond for an engagement ring up to $10,000. I will be flexible for something really special :)

Specifications:
- Cut: Ideal
- Color: D-G (preferably colorless)
- Clarity: VS2+
- Carat: 0.9+ (I think my budget will struggle to get me a nice 1ct+ meeting other criteria, but my girlfriend has small hands, so...)

I really like this one below. What do people think?

I know I'd be paying there for more clarity than is needed. I'd love to hear other suggestions.

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock
Upper end of what I could stretch to:

That crystal sticks out in the picture. Do you think this would ever be noticed? Surface graining is a non-issue?

Apparently this stone only missed A CUT ABOVE because of imperfect hearts.

Lots of blue between the arrows though on the ASET. Is this a sign of bad (or, less good) proportions?

Any haziness from likely from those clouds?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope, BarthorpeD!
I think you're on the right track with looking at F VS2 for colorless and high clarity for the carat mark...that combo is usually a great jumping-off point.

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope, BarthorpeD!
I think you're on the right track with looking at F VS2 for colorless and high clarity for the carat mark...that combo is usually a great jumping-off point.

Great!

Posted in no particular order of preference, right?

I read about clouds making diamonds milky. Is there anyway of knowing from the photos & videos or is it a case of order and see? I'm thinking about the 1.016 G VS2 and 1.107 F VS2 as examples.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Great!

Posted in no particular order of preference, right?

I read about clouds making diamonds milky. Is there anyway of knowing from the photos & videos or is it a case of order and see? I'm thinking about the 1.016 G VS2 and 1.107 F VS2 as examples.

Correct...no order of preference.

Great thing about WF is their amazing customer service: once you narrow it down to three/four/five options, feel free to reach out to them and ask for a side-by-side comparison video and photo set. They will also check the clouds (and any other inclusions) that you are wanting to know about.
Lots of folks do this...plenty also post the comparison shots here to get further opinions (or to show off those immaculate WF diamonds that many of us love seeing haha).

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.024 that DejaWiz posted. And these, which look quite clean.

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock
I like the 1.024 that DejaWiz posted. And these, which look quite clean.

Thank you !

I like that 1.084 G SI1. Given this is an ACA stone, and my understanding is they check for clarity issues, would you have any issue with clouds being the grade setter for an SI1? I do note the reply from @DejaWiz previously on getting WF to check.

I stumbled upon this too:

Capture.PNG

Any preference?

They have very similar cut proportions (maybe with the exception of the girdle) it seems. The James Allen is slightly larger (not the main factor), but more included?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How far can you stretch your budget?

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock
How far can you stretch your budget?

I love all of these. Probably out of budget though if I'm honest with myself.

My budget started lower ($7500 originally). So I've already shifted. I should avoid going out of control. It would be great to find something below budget - the big question is where to compromise.

Thanks

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I love all of these. Probably out of budget though if I'm honest with myself.

My budget started lower ($7500 originally). So I've already shifted. I should avoid going out of control. It would be great to find something below budget - the big question is where to compromise.

Thanks

Understandable...you still have a healthy budget and there are plenty of great ACAs to choose from!

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock

BGD is currently running a promotional discount on their diamonds. With that discount it brings the cost of this diamond under $10k.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you !

I like that 1.084 G SI1. Given this is an ACA stone, and my understanding is they check for clarity issues, would you have any issue with clouds being the grade setter for an SI1? I do note the reply from @DejaWiz previously on getting WF to check.

After looking at the photo and videos again, I don't see any transparency issues, but definitely ask WF to double-check if you're seriously considering it.

Any preference?

They have very similar cut proportions (maybe with the exception of the girdle) it seems. The James Allen is slightly larger (not the main factor), but more included?

The James Allen stone is beautifully cut, but it does look more included under the table than the 1.084. I also find Whiteflash's upgrade policy much more generous. In that larger size range, with similar inclusions, I would prefer this one.

BarthorpeD

Rough_Rock

BGD is currently running a promotional discount on their diamonds. With that discount it brings the cost of this diamond under $10k.

Perhaps (almost certainly) I've made a rushed decision, but I've purchased this one! :)

Despite what looks like a large crystal, I don't know...it just didn't bother me so much. I just had a good feeling about it.

Thank you all again! Very sickening seeing this much money disappear, but all very exciting!

I want to buy a setting locally to make sure we have some relationship with a jeweller for adjustments, cleaning etc. Time to start that search I suppose!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps (almost certainly) I've made a rushed decision, but I've purchased this one! :)

Despite what looks like a large crystal, I don't know...it just didn't bother me so much. I just had a good feeling about it.

Thank you all again! Very sickening seeing this much money disappear, but all very exciting!

I want to buy a setting locally to make sure we have some relationship with a jeweller for adjustments, cleaning etc. Time to start that search I suppose!

Congrats! You made a fantastic choice!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful diamond! I think you'll be blown away by the sparkle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results