carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond/setting choice

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1. The CAD's always look bulky compared to the finished product.

2. Move the stone down so the culet nearly touches this bottom of the shank. See revised sketch on the right to get a rough illustration.

3. Making adjustments to the vertical alignment of the stone noted in #2 above has a few other effects. For instance, the max width/spread/diameter of the stone is at the girdle. Depending where the stone intersects with the halo, the opening diameter of the halo needs to increase/decrease accordingly. I tried to show that with my enlarged diamond and red arrows.

4. A secondary effect is at play with #2 & #3 above. There is only so much vertical alignment you can do with the stone before the culet hits the shank. I am not certain the vertical distance from the top of the shank to the top of the halo (yellow dimension) but I do know the total height of your stone is 3.35mm per the lab report. So you may need to raise or lower the vertical height of halo to get the stone set as low as possible.

5. Looking at the top down view, I drew a purple circle around the stone. Some people like a tiny "air gap" in that space. Others prefer a larger gap. Yet some prefer no gap and instead likes the effect of the halo sitting slightly under the stone. Doing the latter raises the stone height.

6. Are you happy with the green dimensions indicating the width of the halo extending beyond the stone? Making it smaller would reduce the carat weight of the melee by some margin (depending exactly how much smaller you actually go). On the flip side, if you want a larger width, you would need to increase the melee size. I'm not saying anything is wrong with it, as it's a preference thing. For my tastes, it looks a smidge bulky.

7. With DK, the prongs (pink) were never detailed out in the CAD because they essentially cast "stubs" and then shave them down per the customer request. I choose very delicate and sharp claws as I liked that look best. Whatever your preference, you need to share with WF so they are clear what you want and there aren't disappointments.

Inked1623273394868_LI.jpg

Buffalo6

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. Once again, very, very helpful. With respect to the air gap, I’m a little confused as to why going for no gap would raise the stone height. I would think creating no gap would involve lowering the stone until it fits snug at the widest portion able to fit in the halo. Almost like you drop the diamond in and it stops once it hits that widest point.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much. Once again, very, very helpful. With respect to the air gap, I’m a little confused as to why going for no gap would raise the stone height. I would think creating no gap would involve lowering the stone until it fits snug at the widest portion able to fit in the halo. Almost like you drop the diamond in and it stops once it hits that widest point.

The diamond still has to fit the mounting prongs, which will be in between the diamond and the halo. Switching to a bezel mount may mean that the halo can be brought in closer, but that may not be so easy, either.

Buffalo6

Rough_Rock
Updated pics below. Halo has been smoothed to make more rounded. Diamond has been lowered. Should show no air gap from overhead but slight from the side. Profile has also been lowered as much as possible while still permitting a wedding band to sit flush (they provided pics to show how this would look, also below). Didn’t adjust the portion of the diameter occupied by the halo. I think it’s possible I’d prefer it slightly less but hard for me to tell, and since I’ve paid in full, didnt think it was worth either negotiating decreasing in price for less melee diamond carat weight or keeping same price for less carat weight.

Going to sleep on it tonight but I think I’m going to proceed with these renderings. Again appreciate all the help from everyone and of course would fully welcome any comments addressing anything I may be forgetting.

1623693195656.jpeg
1623693216502.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That looks amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results