shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond search, tight timeline (Toronto)

bose

Rough_Rock
i'm searching for an engagement ring. the timeline is tight, as the wedding will be in 3 months! very roughly, i'm looking for a round diamond in the range of 1-1.5 carat, eye-clean, and at least a G colour.

i have done a lot of research online so far (pricescope and other quality sites) and have been to some ring stores and one wholesale dealer in toronto (private referral). i also have a couple more appointments by private referral, as well as hope to connect with thediamondshopper (Aaron Kelman) who i saw recommended here.

that one dealer took a lot of time with me, about 2 hours, and he let me see several GIA diamonds under the loupe. he doesn't have too many GIA certified ones though, and unfortunately i later found out that the HCA scores of the nicest stones i looked at are 4+... (he had H&A but no idealscope.)

i have also researched online shopping. i especially have a good impression of jamesallen because of the magnified 3d images you get. however, i'm concerned that you cannot put diamonds on hold. so how does it help requesting idealscope or other images, or asking for input in this forum, if i cannot be sure to get the stone a few days later?

do you have any advice on what is a good strategy for me, given that i want to have a ring in the next few weeks?

what later steps do i have to start planning now or soon? for example, i haven't really looked into appraisal/insurance yet.

thanks a lot in advance!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully some of the diamond experts will chime in, but a bit more information would be helpful. What is your budget (all-in)? Are you close to any major cities and would you be willing to travel? What is your gal's style (shoes, purses, clothing)? Is she in a hand's on profession? Has she given you any guidance or inspiration photos? How about a Pinterest account?

With such a short timeline, I see a few options: {1) you buy a diamond and set it in the cheapest setting you can as s stand-in (online with PS helpers is awesome), tell her right away after she says "yes" that you want her to help pick the setting, {2) you buy a pre-loved ring that can be delivered in time (you can get is sized later if that is necessary), {3) you can buy at a brick-and-mortar, but you will pay much more than online. Oh...(4) you use a cheap CZ to propose, but unless she is totally practical and not sentimental...that may be a bad option.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have also researched online shopping. i especially have a good impression of jamesallen because of the magnified 3d images you get. however, i'm concerned that you cannot put diamonds on hold. so how does it help requesting idealscope or other images, or asking for input in this forum, if i cannot be sure to get the stone a few days later?

James Allen does put them on hold. I believe when you request the aset/idealscope it goes on hold.

bose

Rough_Rock
thank you for your comments!

as i wrote, i'm in toronto. i already proposed with a temporary ring, and now we are going shopping together. my budget is about 15k canadian (including ring, setting, tax) or about 11.5k US.

today we saw a few more GIA diamonds in toronto. again the HCA scores didn't come out great (the best was a 2.0, the others more than 4.0)... the dealer said she has a idealscope but claimed it's unfair to use it (she said she isn't allowed to use it when she goes buying diamonds) and we should just choose based on what we see without it...

as for James Allen, you are right (i double checked with customer service): provided i can request images (and that's not possible for all inventory) they will put it on hold! that's great.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bose|1469155445|4058211 said:
today we saw a few more GIA diamonds in toronto. again the HCA scores didn't come out great (the best was a 2.0, the others more than 4.0)... the dealer said she has a idealscope but claimed it's unfair to use it (she said she isn't allowed to use it when she goes buying diamonds) and we should just choose based on what we see without it...

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: LOL what is the point of having the IS, if you don't use it when buying diamonds?

Anyways, JA is great especially with their free return shipping policy to Canadian customers as well.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
If the dealer won't let you use an idealscope then she is definitely hiding something. RUN!

bose

Rough_Rock
yes, i'll be cautious (she indicated she might let me use it...).

what about my last question?

what later steps do i have to start planning now or soon? for example, i haven't really looked into appraisal/insurance yet.

would i do an appraisal as soon as possible after the loose diamond comes in and before i get it set? is insurance a no-brainer, and is it difficult to find/do you need to shop around?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with JA, your order will come with an appraisal which is electronically linked to your order #.Jewelers Mutual (popular and reputable insurance company) has a partnership with JA, and has access to this information. Once you make the purchase, you can simply follow the link provided JA for JM's insurance, enter your order number and it will give you a quote based on the appraisal value. It takes less than 10min to complete.
Expect about 1.5% premium based on the appraisal value, which is inflated 30~40% for over-protection.

Or once you receive your stone, you can have it independently appraised and shop around for the best rate.

Yes, having the ring insured is a no-brainer. First, I did not have insurance. But after I saw my fiancee getting excited and wear it EVERYWHERE, and dropped the ring twice before me ( :errrr: :errrr: ) I changed my mind. Ours is insured now.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sadly, you aren't going to find the level of evaluation of diamonds locally like you can in the U.S. I'm in TO as well.

I would give Adam up at Bill Leboeuf a call, he's in Barrie & can look on virtual lists to see what's available. Or you can buy your stone in the US/ring in the US. Do you get to Buffalo? It will be easier to do that if you have the time & are able to cross the border.

Also consider Stuller settings. I just got a quote for a bunch of settings from Adam & I'm very pleasantly surprised at how reasonable they are, even with melee upgrade to G, VS-2. I doubt I would ever buy a ready made setting from the U.S again. LOL His setting fees are very reasonable as well. ;))

http://www.stuller.com/browse/3c-collection/engagement

If you want, you can reach me through here... I can send you some info on the rings styles so you can compare with the U.S vendors.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/bracelets/paisley-bracelet-14k-white-gold

Judy
:))

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
ccuheartnurse|1469287623|4058609 said:
Sadly, you aren't going to find the level of evaluation of diamonds locally like you can in the U.S. I'm in TO as well.

I'm in TO as well and wouldn't buy from any local stores or who you may "think" is a wholesale dealer.

I would stick to the online dealers here, and would ask for opinions from members. If you're searching for a round brilliant I wouldn't buy one with an ASET or ideal scope.

Also Martin from http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/ is in Richmond Hill. He can pull diamonds for you too. His site is terrible and he's easier to reach via phone, so give him a call if you're going to go to anyone local.

Here is a testimonial from another PS'er that used him - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/usa-certed-diamonds-review-hard-to-beat-awesome.202944/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/usa-certed-diamonds-review-hard-to-beat-awesome.202944/[/URL]

Good luck!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I highly recommend Aaron Kelman for what's worth, 3 months would be plenty.

bose

Rough_Rock
thank you for all your replies! i'm now planning on buying the stone online and then get it set by a local dealer (who i got referred to privately). i did try to contact Aaron Kelman, but he said he's too busy right now.

as for insurance: thank you for all your comments, flyingpig!

glad to know about the JA link to JM. does this work in canada too?

oh, and i think i read somewhere you can get the ring insured for the actual amount you paid for it too...

do any of you fellow torontonians/canadians have advice on where to go for insurance?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results