shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond quality!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kwmckinley

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about purchasing a 1.09 carat diamond with the specs below. I tried to run it in the cut advisor, but have no clue what I'm doing. Could someone please help me? Also, will a small culet affect the beauty of this diamond? Also, the GIA cert gave a Table grade of 56%, but the Sarin report gave a table grade of 54.6%. Why would there be such a big difference? What exactly is a Sarin report?

Weight: 1.09
Shape: Round
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Ideal
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 54.6%
Crown: 34.8 degrees 15.7%
Pavilion: 40.5 degrees 54.6%
Measurements: 6.61X6.64X4.10
Color: D
Girdle: Thin
Culet: small 1.2%
Polish: Very Good
Symetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Price: $6,500

Thanks for the help!

Kris

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
www.Sarin.com measures the angles of a diamonds facets and constructs a profile that includes a 'join the dots' estimation of table size. Table accuracy on the GIA report will have been rounded to the nearest whole %. The instrument that measured the stone may not have been as accurate, but this error is not uncommon and also the least critical of the set of data.

It should be a very nice stone.
Are you going to have it shipped direct to an appraiser for verification?
The total of the #'s (aside from the typo on the pavilion depth %) does not quite add up to the total depth when I model the stone on DiamCalc.
I would want the stone confirmed just to be sure and safe.

kwmckinley

Rough_Rock
These are the specs off of the GIA Cert with the exception of the Crown and Pavilion measurements, which are from the Sarin report. The Sarin report that was emailed to me is not too clear, so I may be off by a decimal point or so. I'm just concerned because the table and culet varied between GIA and Sarin. I will be buying it online, so I plan on having it shipped to me so I can take it to an appraiser myself. The company says they ship the diamond with the GIA Cert, Sarin report, and letter of verification by an indipendent appraiser. I also have the option of returning it if anything isn't quite right. Does anything look/sound "fishy" to you?

Weight: 1.09
Shape: Round
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Ideal
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56%
Crown: 34.8 degrees 15.7% (from Sarin)
Pavilion: 40.5 degrees 42.7% (from Sarin)
Measurements: 6.61-6.64X4.10
Color: D
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Price: $6,500

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not mess around with shipping to you first. Just have the vendor ship direct to the appraiser :)

The small concern I have is the girdle should be thicker to add up to the total depth.

kwmckinley

Rough_Rock
How do I go about having it shipped directly to an appraiser? Should the company I am buying it from online be willing to ship it directly to an appraiser? Then, does the appraser send it directly to me? Are you an independent appraiser?

Which numbers would be throwing off the measurements. Is there anyway to verify the numbers add up before having it shipped to an appraiser?

Thanks,

Kris

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of factors which would affect the total of the sum of the parts not equalling the total depth figure.

Just to list a few..........

Variance in girdle thickness.
Off center culet
Lopsided culet
Girdle not straight
Facet groups ( each type of facet ) having variance with each other
thus affecting the average, which is the number you're looking at. You need the individual angles and lower girdles lengths of each facet, not just the crown main, table and pavilion mains.

My reports disclose the angles of all the facets. Other appraisers may do this too. You need to appraise the appraiser. Check out the list of appraisers on this site.

Talk to your seller, he may be one who is willing to send a stone to an appraiser without you laying out the money to purchase it in advance.

There are plenty of sellers who WILL do this, as long as you have picked a responsible and reliable independent professional.

Hope this helps.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
To answer your question about the difference in table size.

GIA rounds up to the next "whole" percentage. This is also based on the greatest measurement. Be aware that the table measurements are always exactly the same. But the variances are usually very very small.

The Sarin also has tolerances - but you need to realize how small this machine is able to measure.

The difference between the 56.4 and 57% figure represent the percentage of the average diameter of the stone. In that this stone is approximate 6 mm. The difference is 0.6% of 6 mms. VERY small area about 1/10 of a millmeter.

Hope this helps

Sorry to have not answered your question previously.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results