shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond please! - UK

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of sourcing a stone for an engagement ring - I've found a perfect setting, however the diamond information available to consumers over here is shocking to say the least. I would be buying on-line from a UK retailer and then travelling over 3 hours to view the stone in person after they receive it - I'm a bit wary of buying from outside of the UK as I can imagine returns are a bit of a nightmare?

My total budget it £5000 - £6500 at a push - the setting I've found for around £750 - leaves almost £5750 for a stone.

I have found two that I think are pretty good, but I would just like some advice from someone more experienced. The main concern I have at the moment is the I colour - will this be immediately visible or is it acceptable? The setting will be a 6 prong if that will affect light.

The stone details are as follows:

£5467
1.20ct
I
VS1
Cut - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Depth 61.2 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None
Fluorescence None
HCA - 1.3 TIC
1_6.png

£5275
1.25ct
I
VS2
Cut - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Depth 62.0 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None
Fluorescence Strong Blue
HCA - 1.6 TIC

2_1.png

Can anyone give me a decent indication of if these are good to view, or at least a starting point?

Huge thanks in advance!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion, I would go with #1, they both look good numerically. however # 1 has a better HCA and is a VS1 and the inclusions are not so much as #2. Also #2 has strong blue floursescence and that could make it look hazey/milky, you would need to ask them about this.

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply - I've asked the retailer for some more pictures of both.

What are your thoughts on colour? Should I be looking more towards a H?

Shadski

Rough_Rock
I managed to get some images of the first diamond, please can I get your thoughts on the idealscope & images. And if the price is right - I would need to purchase this then go and view it when it arrives - If for any reason I am unhappy I can request a refund - so any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!

£5467
1.20ct
I
VS1
Cut - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Depth 61.2 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None
Fluorescence None
HCA - 1.3 TIC

1_6.png
11.png
12_1.png

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Anyone able to help me out with the scope images pleeeease!? Terrified of losing this stone if it's a good one!

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Anyone able to help with the ideal scope images? My hold on the stone runs out tomorrow and I would like to pull the trigger on it with confidence.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shadski|1442520869|3928957 said:
Anyone able to help with the ideal scope images? My hold on the stone runs out tomorrow and I would like to pull the trigger on it with confidence.
These are hearts and arrows images that show good optical symmetry, within the range of what is broadly marketed as H&A. If you are looking for top precision this is not it, but much better than average.

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Texas it's much appreciated. Does the price sound about right!? Approx 8200usd.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shadski|1442526070|3928990 said:
Thanks for the reply Texas it's much appreciated. Does the price sound about right!? Approx 8200usd.
As a trade member I cannot recommend or criticize another vendor's diamond. You can run comparables in the search database and get a feel for where the price of this diamond lands.

craiguk

Rough_Rock
You'd need to account for vat to make it a fair comparison to us prices

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Shadski,

Please double check what the images you received are titled. As TxLeaguer pointed out, you have displayed a Hearts and Arrows view of this diamond, but you referred to an Ideal-Scope.

The Ideal-Scope is backlit and will show leakage where there are deficiencies in optical performance, an Arrows view will show optical symmetry but will not display light leakage.

Shadski

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies -

Craig - that price includes vat on both the us and gbp values.

Hawk - ahhhh, I thought the two were one and the same. So these images would not show any leakage at all? Would you expect much given the symmetry displayed?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello,

I cannot discuss specifics or offer opinions about this particular diamond as I am a member of the trade - and making a prediction of light leakage based on the H&A symmetry would not be reliable.

The important take-away is that an Arrows viewer relies on light from above and the sides, while an Ideal-Scope uses a back-lit environment which will display leakage.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the desire to see with your own eyes what you are buying when when it is so expensive, but as you are laying the cash out up-front having not seen it in real life yet (and I am not sure who the vendor is or what their return policies are - very probably nowhere near as good as the 'no questions asked money back guarantee' from the recommended PS vendors) it seems to me like you are taking more risks than buying from the USA but with none of the benefits (which are better customer service and a prominent forum presence here so good reason to operate best business practices, along with probably the best cuts available, especially when compared to the complete lack of consideration for cut-assessment tools over here in the UK).

I appreciate you are now past the hold expiration date - did you go ahead with it? Despite my above concerns, I think it looks like it has a lot of potential so I'm interested to see how it looks to you when you first see it.

Keep us updated :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results