shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond pendant

binky5450

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone--I am new to PriceScope, although I admit to being a lurker for more than a year. This is absolutely the MOST helpful group I have every seen--plus you all make my jewelry addiction seem "normal"! I am usually able to find answers to my questions by searching the site, but this time it's a little more complicated. I am interested in a diamond pendant, and the leading contender is the Whiteflash Full Bezel style in platinum: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-pendants/full-bezel-diamond-pendant-1567.htm

My dilemma stems from the difference in the photos of this pendant from two different places on their website. The photos at the top of the website show the pendant with a smooth cylinder; however, if you scroll down to the photos at the bottom of recently purchased items, the pendant has a noticeable indentation all the way around. I have been emailing a Whiteflash representative, who tells me the pendant cannot be made in the smooth style, which of course I much prefer. She offered to check with some of their other vendors to see if a smooth version could be obtained for an additional price. I have never dealt with Whiteflash before, but they seem to come highly recommended on this forum. I must say, however, it seems more than a little odd that a high-end vendor would highlight a certain style on their website, and then tell you it is not available as shown! If I had ordered this over the web without noticing the difference in the pictures, I would have been extremely upset to receive something other than what was pictured. My question for the group is whether anyone out there owns this pendant and whether it has the indentation. Is it noticeable? Do you find the diamond gets adequate light through the full bezel? Is it easy to clean through the small hole at the back? Any concerns you might have about this purchase? Are you aware of other vendors who have a similar pendant setting? I've search quite a bit, but this seems fairly unusual, which is one of the reasons I like it. I am currently awaiting word back from Whiteflash as to whether they can find a version with the smooth cylinder, and if so how much "extra" this will cost. My previous large-ticket purchases have been through Brian Gavin, and I have never encountered anything like this. I would welcome any input you might have and thank you in advance for your assistance!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a similar pendant, there are 4 bead prongs holding the diamond in the bezel, and it has the groove in the middle and holes for the chain to pass through. Once on, you just see the diamond. If you want it to be a "barrel", contact David Klass and have him make one for you.

binky5450

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I received a response from White Flash that the smooth sided version of the full bezel pendant is only available for stones less than .3 ct. They are correcting their website to make this more clear. They sent a photo of an alternative full bezel setting from one of their suppliers that has smooth sides but was slightly tapered. Looks like the decision will be to accept their standard full bezel with the indentation or try the smooth version with a slight taper. Any thoughts about this? My concern about a taper is whether it would be more prone to flipping, but since both would be on a slide, hopefully this will not be a problem. I am searching PS as we speak for posts about tapered bezel pendants, but there do not seem to be many comments. I did notice many people say the clasp on slider pendants tends to work around to the front, which sounds annoying, but I guess this is unavoidable. If anyone has a tapered full bezel pendant, I would welcome photos and any comments about that style.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
What is the size of your stone? The setting needs to be stable so most of the time it lays flat on your chest. I would not go for a tapered setting. It may tilt from side to side. The clasp does work its way around but that is better than a stationary setting where the diamond walks up the neck.

binky5450

Rough_Rock
I have not yet purchased the stone, as I am hoping to purchase the stone and pendant setting from the same vendor. FYI, I am looking for something in the .75 ct. range. From the photo the taper is very slight, but anything that could potentially increase the likelihood of flipping or tilting would certainly be a concern. Hopefully at this ct. weight on a slide, flipping would not be an issue, but all of the comments on this forum certainly indicate it can be a problem. Due to the holiday schedule, I will not have any information on dimensions until next week. Thanks so much for your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results