shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Diamond Heirloom

Tina T

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have a diamond heirloom engagement ring I am interested in getting reset to a more modern simple solitaire band. Does anyone know a reputable jeweler that specializes in this around the Boston area? It’s a 1ct old euro cut diamond from the 1920s. Also, any thoughts on getting it recut? If so, how do I find someone who does this?

Thank you!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your goals for the recut? Ie, does it have chips you are looking to have cleaned up or are you wanting to make the OEC a modern round brilliant?

Tina T

Rough_Rock
The latter. I just had it appraised and the quality of the cut was poor (AGS8 ) which I think is why the diamond isn't as "sparkly" as others I've seen. Have you had a diamond recut before?

Thanks for your advice !

What are your goals for the recut? Ie, does it have chips you are looking to have cleaned up or are you wanting to make the OEC a modern round brilliant?

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The latter. I just had it appraised and the quality of the cut was poor (AGS8 ) which I think is why the diamond isn't as "sparkly" as others I've seen. Have you had a diamond recut before?

Thanks for your advice !
You can get evaluation from Brian Gavin , just google him and you will find his website . They located in Houston ,he is a trusted vendor so you can ship the stone to them to get evaluations and possible plan for making the stone look better . And as for reset , David Klass is amazing designer for making custom jewelry for amazing price . You can find him through FB, etsy ,find his work on instagram. Good luck!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven’t already look through some of the OEC threads here. A few PSers have inherited what they thought were “duds” that looked gorgeous once set in a way that showed them off.
Also think about if you want an OEC or MRB and ask the cutter about your options and expected carat loss. Tagging @diamondseeker2006 and @missy as they are very knowledgeable and might have additional recommendations for a recut. Of course, we would love to see pictures :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond has to be inspected by the cutter before they can tell you if a recut will be “worth the carat weight loss”.
Personally OEC are rare and hard to find and I’d rejoice in the difference that they are rather than trying to turn one into a RB. With the costs of recutting plus carat weight loss, you might be better off just going with a suitable RB from the start.

Tina T

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! I just found this forum and it's been an immense resource... although I'm trying to still learn the lingo here: what's RB? MRB?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All OEC lovers here will plead with you to never recut an OEC into a modern round. For one thing, you're likely to lose too much shape doing so. Secondly, it's an antique and far more rare than a modern round. If it needs some TLC, it could perhaps be improved a bit by contacting Jonathan from August Vintage. He has a line of beautifully cut stones including antique styles. See my avatar picture as I have one.

I did get a 1 ct stone from my mother that was an early round brilliant in an awful cut, so I did have it recut to improve the cut. But I wasn't changing the style of the stone. It ended up at .80 cts.

Can you take a close up picture of it for us? We can make better suggestions then. However, my inclination is to keep this one for a pendant or right hand ring (if it's a nice one) and just get a new well cut modern round for the new ring. I think you'd lose too much weight and be unhappy with a smaller stone for your engagement ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I just found this forum and it's been an immense resource... although I'm trying to still learn the lingo here: what's RB? MRB?

MRB: modern round brilliant

RB: round brilliant

Oh, and for future reference, always post diamond and setting questions in Rocky Talky. That's the primary thread for these kinds of discussions and FAR more people read that forum than this one. If you reply to me, be sure you either quote my post or write @diamondseeker2006 so I get a notification since I rarely come into this subforum. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a 1ct old euro cut diamond from the 1920s

The latter.

Oh please keep it as an OEC if that is what it is. And share pics with us so we can better give you advice. But finding an excellent cutter is key to figuring out for sure what is best to do. If it can be recut into a beautiful stone (without losing too much diameter) it probably would be worth it but do keep it as an OEC.
I agree with @diamondseeker2006 that Jonathan from @augustvintage on IG can give you advice about the recut.

And yes again agree with DS. Post in Rocky Talky for more replies.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results