shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond choice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drdnow

Rough_Rock
I have been reading this forum and have gained some great information. I was hoping some of you may be able to help me make a decision.
I am about to make the big plunge and have been researching a lot. My girlfriend is tiny- ring size is 3.75, so far we have decided on a semi bezel pave setting where the diamond sets up ( so not really bezel setting). I have three great prices- one on a 1 ct E Sl 1 ideal cut at $4650, another on a 1.25 I color, VS 2 ideal cut at an amazing $4500 ( with med flour) and a third at 1.28 ct H SL 1 ideal cut at around $5000. I am leaning toward the I cut because of the size but am concerned about color- it is also the cheapest which helps me. Since she is small and the setting makes the diamond look bigger anyway do you think I should stick with the good color smaller diamond? I would greatly appreciate your opinions, Thank you.

( I have a close friend who is getting me these diamonds for this price)

avlis

Shiny_Rock
Hello!, and welcome.

Color is one of those things that everyone has a different opinion on, and a different level of color tolerance. Personally, if it really is an I color I would probably pick that one based on the information provided. that is to say I wouldnt pick any of those based on the information provided.

As you know because you have been reading this site, there are things beside clarity and color that will greatly effect how a diamond looks. so here are a couple questions.

Who is determining what the color is?
Who says its and Ideal cut?
do you know the table and depth %''s?
do you know the crown and pavillion angles?

this information will help people give more informed opinions on your choices.

but as i said before, based on the information provided, assume all else is equal and good, i would take the 1.25 I stone.

drdnow

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. the diamons are AGS graded-

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi and welcome,

we definitely need more info on the stones to tell you which is best. CUT is the most important thing and a well cut stone will hide color.

try and get the crown and pavillon angles and depth and table % like avlis said. an idealscope image would be great too.

I always worry about close friends and diamonds. they might be a deal they might not, so please get all this info on the front end
2.gif

drdnow

Rough_Rock
All I have access to right now is the 1.25 I VS2-
total depth- 62.3%
Width- 55%
Crown H- 16%
Pav. Dep- 44%
polish- vg
sym- ex.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the stones are AGS you should have crown and pav. angles.

Edit: only you've got some info but need to try and get the rest for us to be able to run it though the HCA to see how they will perform..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results