shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with designing ring

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thinking of putting my 1.2 natural diamond in a setting like this as a side stone. I would get the other 1.2 round side stone as lab and also an oval center as a lab. The setting would be rose gold. Thoughts on how big the oval should be to achieve this look, as well as comments on the overall ring are welcome! IMG_4101.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, assuming all being equal and nothing funky about depths and cut etc, those sides are definitely no larger than 25% of the ctw of the center stone. Meaning you'd need something in the 5ct range to achieve this look.

That would be a HIGE ring, tho, with big side-to-side spread. What size are your fingers? And what are the specs of your original diamond? Because a 5ct lab with top specs will cost a bunch of money, and, if it were me, I'd rather get another 1.2ct earth mined diamond, rather than mixing and matching earth and lab, and do a moi et toi ring.

Just a thought.

ETA Btw, given that the spread would be so large, you wouldn't see band/shank either side of the stones, so you wouldn't get that tapered look. So in those proportions, it wouldn't be possible to match the look of the ring you posted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.2 is a pretty big side stone. Have you considered going all lab with smaller side stones? Set your 1.2 in an RHR or a pendant
if you don't already have one. Or, keep it as is for when you want something that isn't quite as big as the new ring you are
considering.

Edit...not a biggie but subjects like designing a new ring should go in the RockyTalky forum or the Lab grown forum. This forum,
Show me the Bling, is for showing off items we already own or asking to see something particular that someone might already
own. Like I said, no biggie though.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
One idea is to get some cubic zirconia or other inexpensive clear fakies from etsy or similar and play around with them to get an idea of how the shapes and sizes you’re considering will look. I did that recently when designing a ring and was very happy with the results.

Also, I’d consider the metal color around the diamonds, if you haven’t already. I prefer white metal prongs around clear stones even when the rest of the ring is rose gold or yellow gold. White metal kinda disappears on the diamonds whereas the other gold color prongs stand out.

Also re the prongs, those rounded end ones in your inspo ring look a little dated to me so I’d go with pointy prongs.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, I wouldn’t plan the whole ring around a sidestone you already have unless you especially like it in your design. The rest of the ring will be a bit pricey so I’d be sure to get what you really prefer, even if that would not use the stone you already have.

I’ve seen a fair number of pieces that imo weren’t very attractive when someone prioritized using up what they had on hand, trying to "not waste" or whatever. Not that I think your ring idea is unattractive because I don't lol but just a thought.

A few more thoughts (and apologies if you already know all this):

Will this design look good on your finger? For ex. I have big hands and long fingers so the ring with sidestones would just kinda get lost on my hand. I'd need either more presence. Like a pretty large halo around the oval to make the ring larger and more... vertical, instead of the sidestones. Or I'd put the oval diamond east to west so the ring had a more band-like appearance. Or, strangely, just the oval solitaire north to south. Which doesn't really make sense so I guess it's subjective.

Also, if this is to be an engagement ring, consider having space left underneath for a wedding band to fit smoothly against this ring if you like the look of the two rings fitting together with no gaps.

And what about the band? Do you like the rounded band or would you rather have it more "squared," like the band below. ETA: After looking again, the ring you posted might actually be more "squared" but the shape of it is something to consider, either way.

il_794xN.1974013586_9c9z.jpg

Then there's the gallery to consider (the underside). So much to think about! :)

Last edited:

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all of your helpful comments. It seems like I should not use this ring as a side stone. I wanted to include it for sentimentality but I just don’t think it will work in this setting. I have small hands so it would be very overwhelming.

Also noted that this is the wrong forum to post - sorry!

I like the Etsy ideas - thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results