shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with designing a ring

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm starting a new thread on this because the old one is probably too long for people to wade through. I got some great ideas from it though so thanks to those who posted there.

The center stone is 10mm.

I want a summery "ocean" ring. Also, I can't draw.

The stone:
blue green.jpeg

The design:
ring ocean.jpg

I ordered a bunch of CZs in various sizes to try out around the center stone and am waiting for those to finalize the design.

My idea is to have it all in 14k yellow gold (except maybe tiny prongs around the diamonds but they'll still be inset in the yellow gold).

The center stone will be bezelled.

The diamonds will all be the same size and the halo will be round like the center stone.

The four trapezoid things on the halo are supposed to be even, not wonky like in my drawing. I want a little scallop shell embossed in each one.

The band will be either embossed with a fish/mermaid scale design or be a twisted rope design. But if I go with the rope, I'll want to be sure it looks right with the rest of the design. Right now, I'm thinking the halo will be pretty smooth, with the diamonds inset and no milgrain.

I want the gallery as open as possible to let light in because I am worried about the stone going dark when set. Along the same lines, I want the band to connect at the bottom of the head rather than the top, so the band can't block out light on the sides. Then I'd just have 4-6 vertical-ish thinnish pieces securing the head to the band, as I tried to show in the lower drawing. (I wish I knew the names of jewelry parts better). But I worry that it won't be secure enough that way so I don't know.

All thoughts much appreciated!

Last edited:
That's a great idea to order CZ to try and envision which size diamonds will look best! The color of the stone is crazy gorgeous, and vibrant x10, so I wouldn't worry about it going dark in any mounting. I love this marine aesthetic you've got going on with the scallop shells and mermaid scales. It's brilliant!! I'm looking forward to seeing this piece come to life. Who's creating it for you?

Thanks. After I figure out the size of the diamonds, I plan to ask David Klass to make the ring. He's made a few other things for me and I've been very pleased. :)

Now I'm really excited to see the finished piece!
more%20pix%20pls.gif

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. So am I!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm wondering if I should proceed with the lab sapphire above or get a paraiba YAG instead. I think the YAG would be brighter but softer. Thoughts, anyone? Which one would you use?

Last edited:
That gem's color (and cut) is so perfect, that I'm not sure much can be improved by switching to YAG. Lab sapphire is also slightly harder and, thus, more durable. Personally, I'd stick with what you have. :)

I think if you come across a lab stone with a color that totally knocks your socks off, then I'd say go for it! But then again, I'm usually in the camp of "good enough" and "bird in the hand" and all that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results