shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with depth, table, etc guidelines please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I am driving myself insane with the flood of conflicting data I am finding on various online sources. I am trying to find out what (for a Princess cut, F color range and VS2/SI1 clarity ranges) ranges I should stay in for Depth and Table. Also, I am confused with regard to "measurement" for Princess. I have data that says to take the length and divide that over the width... Well, with Princess cut, I have three numbers on certs to look at and I am not sure how to calculate effectively. For instance, how would I calculate a measurement of 8.18 x 7.81 x 5.81? Sorry if I am sounding stupid.

wavey.gif
Thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
To get the depth:

height / smallest diameter

E.G. --> DD 6.90 - 7.12 Ht 4.70
--> 4.70 / 6.90 = 68.1%

Have fun!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also a great resource on princesses and fancy cut stones is www.gemappraisers.com

Go to their 'cut grade charts' section and pulldown 'princess'. Look at the specs listed in the 1A and 1B columns, those represent most likely a VERY fine princess cut make. 2A and 2B are still very good as well. But most princesses you'll see floating around are most likely more in the 3-4 columns since there aren't too many well cut fancies out there (e.g. too large table or very thick girdle).

I have heard that SuperbCert's princess cut stones are fantastic, you may want to check them out.

Good luck!
1.gif

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback... That is helpful info from both of you. Wondering if either of you or anyone else can tell me what range I want to stay in for Depth and for Table? I have Depth data suggesting on the best range of the scale to be at 58% to 64% on the lowest end to stay between Good, Excellent and Ideal.

For Table, my data suggests 53% to 64% for the lowest and highest ranges of what one should look for. But I have seen conflicting data elsewhere and have no idea what the right answer is... I do understand that there isn't a perfect or right answer per se, but wondering what people's thoughts are in general on how I should consider it?

I guess helping me understand exactly what Depth and Table refer to beyond all the definitions I have already read through. How do these relate to the 4 C's and the zillion other factor's to look at?

Again, thanks.
confused.gif
4.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As noted, check out the gemappraisers link as they have charts to tell you what you should stay within for table, depth etc for desirable specs.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
Ah ha. Much appreciated. Went to both sites and it is much clearer now. Thank you, thank you.
6.gif

Another ambiguous question then... Curious on people's thoughts... Beside's the 4 C's, what are the next 1 or 2 most important factor's I should consider/weigh the most heavily in determining how good the diamond is and how good a deal it is?

If this question really cannot be answered, then sorry for wasting for everyone's time. But thank's all around!

tongue.gif
9.gif
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results