shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with custom settings please!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
I posted this is Rocky Talk...but I thought it might be appropriate for here too. I''m new so please excuse me if this is breaking the rules!!
*******************************************************************************************************************
Hello all. First of all I want to say that after being a lurker for quite some time, this forum has helped me and my soon to be finacee settle on a ring puchase!! (After almost 6 years, I was ecstatic!!) SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! My question to all of you is how do you feel about custom settings? After much thought and searching both online and in town shops we settled on a jeweler here in town that has a great reputation and will do the job for a great price. With that said I am VERY picky about what I''m looking for.

For the center I settled on:
1.56 Emerald cut (I can''t live without one!!)
VVS2
F color

I don''t have the exact dimentions but it falls within a 1B from what I have read. (It is the most beautiful thing I''ve ever seen!!)

Has anyone had experience with custom settins that they can give me advice on what to watch out for?? I have the design already in mind. 2 side .35 EC set in channel princess, with a matching princess channel wedding band. But....with such an intricate process what should I watch for?? My concern is that I''m so ecstatic to have a ring on my finger in about 6 weeks that I will miss something. We have already placed a deposit so the process is well underway.... ADVICE please??

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Just be very, very, VERY clear about what you expect. With handmade rings, there are often variations. If there''s something that you KNOW you won''t be happy with - make sure you let them know up front! Try to be as involved in the process as possible.
1.gif

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dani I appreciate the advice! So far I''ve been in there 5 times just to pick out stones and they have been very cool, great customer service...so I''m hoping that''s a good sign.

31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Definitely a good sign!
1.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:58:42 PM
Author: geckodani
Just be very, very, VERY clear about what you expect. With handmade rings, there are often variations. If there''s something that you KNOW you won''t be happy with - make sure you let them know up front! Try to be as involved in the process as possible.
1.gif
Ditto to what geckodani said above. I am probably a bad person to ask, as I had a custom ring done this year, and I had a long document with loads of pictures of what I liked & didn''t like, and couldn''t have been more clear, and still there were all sorts of problems. (Among other things, I got it made w/ a hinged-shank, but I forgot to specify that I wanted to the hinged-shank to function properly for longer than 4 weeks...) So I am sort of jaded on custom. If I had to do it all again, I would just get something that''s ready made, even if imperfect. However, there are lots of satisfied folks here with custom jobs. Just be as perfectly clear as you can. Plus, if I were to ever do custom again, I would only go with a vendor who guarantees a remake etc... Make sure you know what their customer satisfaction policy is ahead of time.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
IluvEmeralds, it sounds like you were looking for specifics, so I was trying to think of some. You might want to specify the color of your sidestones, the size (my eye is so picky, I can see size differences that jewelers claim "you can''t see") of sidestones (e.g. how much deviation you will allow between them), that everything must be symmetric, etc.. You see, what I''ve found is, things that I would have assumed would be a given (e.g. that sidestones all look the same color visually, that all side stones will line up even with the center of the center stone - that things aren''t crooked) don''t necessarily happen. Hopefully it was just my "jewelry curse" and these things won''t happen to you.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:55:43 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl
IluvEmeralds, it sounds like you were looking for specifics, so I was trying to think of some. You might want to specify the color of your sidestones, the size (my eye is so picky, I can see size differences that jewelers claim ''you can''t see'') of sidestones (e.g. how much deviation you will allow between them), that everything must be symmetric, etc.. You see, what I''ve found is, things that I would have assumed would be a given (e.g. that sidestones all look the same color visually, that all side stones will line up even with the center of the center stone - that things aren''t crooked) don''t necessarily happen. Hopefully it was just my ''jewelry curse'' and these things won''t happen to you.
Hi Old Fashioned Girl,

I''m sorry to hear that your custom job didnt turn out perfectly as you had hoped. That can certainly make you jaded and I don''t blame you. I appreciate the advice you gave, since I''m just starting out with the process now. I met with them 5 times for easily over 6 hours before I agreed to do the custom work with them, and they assured me I will see each piece of the job from start to finish. I have an appointment to see my stones this Friday, so I''m hoping they took my specifics to heart. Like you I was VERY clear about size and match of color and clarity for side stones and the band. HOPEFULLY it will turn out okay. We''ll see...I''ll keep you posted.

What did you end up doing with your custom setting? Did you change it, or go with the final result?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:50:17 PM
Author: IluvEmeralds

Hi Old Fashioned Girl,

I'm sorry to hear that your custom job didnt turn out perfectly as you had hoped. That can certainly make you jaded and I don't blame you. I appreciate the advice you gave, since I'm just starting out with the process now. I met with them 5 times for easily over 6 hours before I agreed to do the custom work with them, and they assured me I will see each piece of the job from start to finish. I have an appointment to see my stones this Friday, so I'm hoping they took my specifics to heart. Like you I was VERY clear about size and match of color and clarity for side stones and the band. HOPEFULLY it will turn out okay. We'll see...I'll keep you posted.

What did you end up doing with your custom setting? Did you change it, or go with the final result?

Well, I had no choice, as the vendor would not give a refund or a remake, in spite of the fact that I specifically wanted a hinged-shank, which here. I am glad & very relieved that the reworked ring looks pretty. But it certainly wasn't my original plan to have it end up this way, and had I known it would just be a solid-shank RHR reset of my DH's aunt's diamond, AND all the hassle and stress & incredible waste of time & money spent (w/ certain design elements never really being how I originally intended anyway), I would so have just bought an off-the-shelf setting. I put my engagement diamond back in its solitaire setting.

Good luck with your ring. From this ("I met with them 5 times for easily over 6 hours before I agreed to do the custom work with them, and they assured me I will see each piece of the job from start to finish. ") it sounds like the vendor is working well with you. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

dotb

Rough_Rock
Iluvemeralds, do you have any pictures of the ring you are having made? I would love to see them.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
IluvEmeralds - it sounds like you have been very specific with your jeweler - hopefully you will have no problems.

In my case my custom ring went awry as well. The way they cast and polished the ring, the prongs ended up wonky - and I mean I noticed it inside of a few minutes. The split shank was longer on one side than the other too. *sigh* I got the split shank fixed, the prongs are still wonky, and the whole thing is so top heavy it drives me crazy. I''m busy saving up to get my diamond put back in a solitaire (the original one has already been turned into something else).

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 8:05:08 AM
Author: old-fashioned girl

Date: 8/18/2008 9:50:17 PM

Hi Old Fashioned Girl,

I''m sorry to hear that your custom job didnt turn out perfectly as you had hoped. That can certainly make you jaded and I don''t blame you. I appreciate the advice you gave, since I''m just starting out with the process now. I met with them 5 times for easily over 6 hours before I agreed to do the custom work with them, and they assured me I will see each piece of the job from start to finish. I have an appointment to see my stones this Friday, so I''m hoping they took my specifics to heart. Like you I was VERY clear about size and match of color and clarity for side stones and the band. HOPEFULLY it will turn out okay. We''ll see...I''ll keep you posted.

Well, I had no choice, as the vendor would not give a refund or a remake, in spite of the fact that I specifically wanted a hinged-shank, which here. I am glad & very relieved that the reworked ring looks pretty. But it certainly wasn''t my original plan to have it end up this way, and had I known it would just be a solid-shank RHR reset of my DH''s aunt''s diamond, AND all the hassle and stress & incredible waste of time & money spent (w/ certain design elements never really being how I originally intended anyway), I would so have just bought an off-the-shelf setting. I put my engagement diamond back in its solitaire setting.

Good luck with your ring. From this (''I met with them 5 times for easily over 6 hours before I agreed to do the custom work with them, and they assured me I will see each piece of the job from start to finish. '') it sounds like the vendor is working well with you. I''m sure it will be beautiful!

Wow...I am so sorry you had to go through so much to make you ring. How incredibly stressful!! I would be FREAKING OUT!! Thank goodness your aunt had a diamond for you. I saw the pictures and the ring looks beautiful now. Seems like it all worked out. I''ll let you know how it goes. I''m supposed to be meeting with them Friday...but with this tropical storm that''s coming...who knows!! I''ll keep you posted. Thanks again for the great advice!!

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 9:30:29 AM
IluvEmeralds - it sounds like you have been very specific with your jeweler - hopefully you will have no problems.

In my case my custom ring went awry as well. The way they cast and polished the ring, the prongs ended up wonky - and I mean I noticed it inside of a few minutes. The split shank was longer on one side than the other too. *sigh* I got the split shank fixed, the prongs are still wonky, and the whole thing is so top heavy it drives me crazy. I''m busy saving up to get my diamond put back in a solitaire (the original one has already been turned into something else).

Awww...that would definetly be something I would notice too Dani. I don''t blame you? Did you have them do computer models of the ring? These are EXACTLY the kinds of things I''m worried about. I''m working it up on a computer and doing the wax mold, and I''m going to have them measure each step for me to make sure it''s perfect all the way around...but I''m still scared. But, knowing what to expect or look for is helping me to know what questions to ask.

I''m still in the stones phase, we haven''t gotten to computer models or pics....but I''m trying to be prepared. Do you have pics of your ring now Dani?

DOTB- No pics yet, since as I said we are still in the phase of picking out stones. It looks a bit like my avitar, but with a wider band, set with princess cut stones, going 1/2 down my finger. As soon as I have pics I promise to share. I''m hoping my vision in my head can match up to reality!!
2.gif
[;-)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 3:41:16 PM

Awww...that would definetly be something I would notice too Dani. I don''t blame you? Did you have them do computer models of the ring? These are EXACTLY the kinds of things I''m worried about. I''m working it up on a computer and doing the wax mold, and I''m going to have them measure each step for me to make sure it''s perfect all the way around...but I''m still scared. But, knowing what to expect or look for is helping me to know what questions to ask.

I''m still in the stones phase, we haven''t gotten to computer models or pics....but I''m trying to be prepared. Do you have pics of your ring now Dani?

DOTB- No pics yet, since as I said we are still in the phase of picking out stones. It looks a bit like my avitar, but with a wider band, set with princess cut stones, going 1/2 down my finger. As soon as I have pics I promise to share. I''m hoping my vision in my head can match up to reality!!
2.gif
[;-)
I had them do a wax, and approved it, and when I got it I was ecstatic. Here''s the original thread when I was trying to convince myself that it didn''t bother me. Link

Here''s a pic of the odd split shank they fixed (this is a before). You can kind of see the wonky prongs too. I pointed to them in red photoshop. The split shank gap has been fixed, but when I asked about the prongs I got brushed off. Twice.

Issues....JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Tring again...

Issues.JPG

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Hey Dani,

Your pictures from the thread you sent me are beautiful!! Your DH did an awesome job on picking our your stone, it is very sparkly!! Honestly when I saw that thread I thought it was absolutely perfect, I didn''t notice a thing. It was only when I looked at your photoshop pics that I saw what you were talking about. Did your jeweler refuse to fix the off center prongs? Did you have a contract with your jeweler before you did your set? I''m trying to decide if I want to have something in writing with mine. What do you think? We agreed to do computer models (to get the measurements exactly perfect), and then the computer makes a wax model...(I think from a laser...not sure how that''s done)...I won''t find out until later this week. But, I''m wondering if a contract is a good thing. What are your thoughts?

Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with custom settings??

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments on the ring.
1.gif
I really do like it, it's just top heavy and the prongs may drive me mad. And my diamond is just as freaking GORGEOUS as ever, LOL!

I did NOT have a contract with my jeweler. I DID approve the wax, but I know for a fact (and from pictures) that the prongs were even in the wax... the unevenness came when they cast and polished it.

It sounds like you and your jeweler have a great relationship, and that should make all the difference. You may want to get something in writing about return policies/ jeweler willingness to tweak your ring until it is perfect. I mentioned the prongs twice to my jeweler, and was brushed off each time.... Still debating whether to take it up with them, or to find another jeweler and see what they can do.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
The diamond is gorgeous for sure!! :) I would say that if it still bothers you now that you should I either see if you can take it up with the jeweler who made the set, or find someone else who can fix it for you. I know for myself I would never be able to just drop it. But I''m anal that way and would always notice the little things. I guess that''s why I''ve been to my jeweler 6 times already and we''re still working on stones!! Who knows! Best of luck!

Thanks again for the advice...I''ll cross my fingers that it all works out. I promise to post pics once it''s all done. They told me 6-8 weeks, so I''m hoping to have it by mid-October or the beginning of November. I can hardly wait!! :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I shall keep everything crossed for you!!!

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 3:41:00 PM
I shall keep everything crossed for you!!!

Thanks Dani! I''m going there tomorrow...so I''ll try to get some good pics and you can let me know what you think so far. :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Any news yet?

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 3:35:19 PM
Any news yet?

Hey Dani,

NO I''m so upset!!
emcry.gif
Because of the tropical storm where I live here in N. FL the jeweler decided to stay closed today so I couldn''t go visit my stones and play some more!! We''re going to try and get together tomorrow, we''re hoping the storm will pass by then. I''m already planning on taking my camera, so I will keep you posted!!

Thanks for thinking of me!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Don''t let someone else''s negative experience with custom make you nervous.
Negative experiences can be had in many places, not just in jewellery shops.

Maintain high expectations, and don''t be satisfied with anything less than your definition of perfect.
Challenge the jeweller to produce a fine piece of work, and they will either perform admirably, or you will refuse to accept a compromise.
It''s really quite simple. Don''t be anxiously waiting for delivery and accept what they give you because you can''t wait any longer. Be critical, and award good work with kudos. If the work doesn''t meet your expectations, chances are it can''t be remedied by the same jeweller. Keep your money and move on.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:31:40 PM
Author: TheDoctor
Don''t let someone else''s negative experience with custom make you nervous.
Negative experiences can be had in many places, not just in jewellery shops.

Maintain high expectations, and don''t be satisfied with anything less than your definition of perfect.
Challenge the jeweller to produce a fine piece of work, and they will either perform admirably, or you will refuse to accept a compromise.
It''s really quite simple. Don''t be anxiously waiting for delivery and accept what they give you because you can''t wait any longer. Be critical, and award good work with kudos. If the work doesn''t meet your expectations, chances are it can''t be remedied by the same jeweller. Keep your money and move on.
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your words of reassurance! You have helped make me feel much BETTER. My poor FI thinks I''m nuts that I''ve already sent back 2 sets of stones already because they didn''t match perfectly with my center EC. I just know what I want I guess. I''ve had the picture in my mind for so long.....that a few more weeks isn''t going to kill me. So far my jeweler has been very accomodating and willing to work with me and take notes. So I''m happy thus far. I just know that I''m sticking to my guns....

Thanks again...I can''t tell you how much better I feel.

dc888

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I just saw this post, and I''m going through a similar situation with my jeweler. I didn''t realize the custom process was that thorough. My experience, was very brief, and I had limited/no opportunity to micromanage the fabrication process. That said, I hope things work out for you, because I can sympathize with your situation...the stress and anxiety. What "thedoctor" told you is so encouraging :razz:

"thedoctor"...you''re in Canada? Geez you''re so close. I could have gotten my work done here...and been able to see the actual process. Maybe next time.

I think I will move my thread from Rockytalky to this location. I''m amazed with everyone''s detailed insights, and support. Hopefully, I''ll get some great feedback/support as well.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 11:01:48 AM
Author: dc888
Hi there,

I just saw this post, and I''m going through a similar situation with my jeweler. I didn''t realize the custom process was that thorough. My experience, was very brief, and I had limited/no opportunity to micromanage the fabrication process. That said, I hope things work out for you, because I can sympathize with your situation...the stress and anxiety. What ''thedoctor'' told you is so encouraging :razz:

''thedoctor''...you''re in Canada? Geez you''re so close. I could have gotten my work done here...and been able to see the actual process. Maybe next time.

I think I will move my thread from Rockytalky to this location. I''m amazed with everyone''s detailed insights, and support. Hopefully, I''ll get some great feedback/support as well.
Hi DC-

Well it''s nice to know someone else is going through the same thing. I thought it was just me!! I spent over an hour with my jeweler yesterday afternoon approving diamonds and the prong settings. I finally got my center and sides right, now I''m just waiting on my princess cuts for my band. (the third time around!!) Oh well...at least I know it will be exactly what I''m looking for. :)

Is your set done already? Do you have pics? I''ll jump to your other thread to read more. Yes, eveyrone here has been AWESOME.. (THANK YOU EVERYONE!!). I tried to post my pics of my diamonds from yesterday (for Dani) but it didn''t work. The quality is really bad anyways (of the pics, not the diamonds)...I go back next week so I''ll try to get some more.

Good luck to you as well. Keep us updated on the process!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results