shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with cushion cut gia chart

Munger64

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I am hoping for some help from the experts. I have been looking at diamonds. The particular stone I am looking at is modified brilliant cushion. It is an H stone with SI2 clarity grade. I found it to be totally eye-clean and very bright - but I am curious your thoughts on this chart. Given that it is a lot of crystals right in the middle and it is an SI2 stone - what would you expect this stone to look like. From the chart alone does it raise red flags?

_36647.jpg

_36647.jpg

Munger64

Rough_Rock
Forgot to mention, this is a 2.6 ct stone. The one person I asked this question to mentioned that the answer will partially depend on size.

Also I understand it is hard to tell without a picture. But that is sort of the point. I am curious about reactions to just the chart.

Thanks so much

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chart is hard to make a judgment from because if the crystals are black, it sounds like a death sentence. But if they are white or clear, they will have much less impact.

I would trust your eyes - if you cant see them and the stone was still bright and sparkly, then it sounds like an excellent deal.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
If you've got good eyesight and are happy the stone is eyeclean, why not. (I would however be curious to see a picture.)

It's obviously vastly easier with rounds, but if you can get two very similarly cut stones with very similar specs, and put an IF next to an SI2, then you might, perhaps, notice some effects the inclusions might have on light performance. Or perhaps the inclusions would suddenly be obvious. But in reality, who would do that? :rodent:

I would also make sure that you've had the inclusions pointed out to you. Sometimes you can't see anything... till you can see it. And then you can't not see it.

Anyway, in case you are curious about facet diagrams and want to go deeper into light performance, here are two nice links

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

ETA: what is the grade making inclusion? List them in the order they're written on the GIA cert. It'll say something like:

'Clarity Characteristics...... Crystal, Needle, Pinpoint'

Also... check whether you have feathers broaching the girdle. This is something you may wish to research as there are differing opinions on such feathers and durability in an SI2 stone. There seems to be one on the left that continues onto the underside, and another trisecting three pavillion facets.

(I hope I am not scaring you off the stone - if you've compared it to a number of others and love it, go for it, but best to go in with all the facts at your disposal).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results