shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Cushion Cut Diamond

danpak87

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm new to the forum but have researching as much as possible though past postings/discussions. I am currently looking to purchase the following diamond from James Allen:

I have some concerns with it being an IGI certification and not GIA, but here is the IGI cert:

cert.jpeg

I've spoken to a number of different diamond inspectors from JA but they all started to sound the same with their recommendations.

What are your thoughts on this diamond? I know it's difficult to inspect especially with a cushion cut without seeing it in person but I need to decide by tonight if I should pull the plug as I currently have it on hold. Any of your thoughts would be extremely appreciated! Diamond searching has been so stressful.

Thank you!

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
I understand your stress ! I’m no expert but this diamond seems to have a lot a dead areas and too much areas of contrast in the middle. Have you requested an ASET image? I would keep looking and look for Gia certified stone. IGI stones make me weary personally.

Estrella185

Rough_Rock

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say it is average for an elongated cushion. The more elongated, the more leakage there is. This is just how it works.

Here is a slightly elongated cushion with good light return. You should be able to see difference

danpak87

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply and recommendations!

When you say leakage what do you mean exactly?

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
Diamond light leakage is areas in the diamond, usually the table where there is poor light return so the stone ends up looking “dead” in those areas. Less sparkle basically. The new stone you chose seems to have leakage aswell. @flyingpig has more expertise in this area and I hope others chime in aswell. The diamond suggested by @flyingpig is really pretty do you see the sharpness of the facets and how the diamond just looks more, for a lack of a better word...organized. Cushions are very hard to shop for ... I’ve gone through 2 on my third hoping I’m getting it right lol. Cushions with a “crushed ice” look or elongated have more light leakage. Do you have a specific budget and spec you’re looking for ?

danpak87

Rough_Rock
@Estrella185 My budget is difficult and may not be realistic but I'm looking for something at most $15k but bigger than 2.2CT (unfortunately by gf was adamanet on ct size).

I know with this budget v ct size, I'll need to sacrifice somewhere...

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
it’s doable but yes you will have to compromise somewhere. I think color would have to be somewhere in the I+ range to stay within budget. Although cushions don’t have official cut grades I would not skimp on cut, usually when a stone is labeled lower than “very good” it’s cut too deep and will appear smaller even if the carat weight suggests it should be bigger

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply and recommendations!

When you say leakage what do you mean exactly?

So thanks to my lagggggy machine I couldnt capture the stone facing straight up. The leakage is around the edge of the table.
The facets are not distinct or well-defined in this area. You can see some at the angle I was able to catch. There will almost
always be some at this big of an angle but the original stone you posted has it facing straight up. You just want to minimize
the leakage (or mushy areas) as much as possible. You want distinct, well-defined facets that are going to return light well.

The red area would be leakage but it would be all around the edge of the table if it was facing straight on (and not quite as big as I
have outlined).
Capture.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results