shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Crown and Pavilion Proportions for Engagement Ring

lyksharon

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I am in search of a round brilliant diamond for an engagement ring, and I would really appreciate if you had any advice on the following GIA certified proportions:

Table: 57%
Crown angle: 32.5 degrees
Crown height: 13.5%
Pavilion angle: 41.4 degrees
Pavilion depth: 44.0%
Girdle thickness: 3.5%
Total depth: 61.1%
Cutlet: none

My main concern is that the crown angle is too shallow (and pavilion depth is too deep), which I have read would decrease the diamond's fire or brilliance - so I now have the following questions:

- Would this pavilion depth create the dark "nailhead" effect by any chance?
- This crown and pavilion angle combination would not result in a "hearts and arrows" effect, but how big of an impact would this have on the diamond's overall fire or brilliance?
- Would the shallow crown angle and steep pavilion angle compensate each other, so this combination would not cause much of a concern?

We are unable to see the diamond in person right now as this is just an option from an overseas diamond cutter / wholesaler, but it seems to be the best value for money, so I would like to get your initial thoughts on whether the proportions are good or at least acceptable. Thank you very much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with Crown and Pavilion Proportions for Engagement

I would personally eliminate that one.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto DS.

lyksharon

Rough_Rock

Thank you both very much for the advice! I will continue my search!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Even when you find a diamond within the parameters listed, it is always advisable to seek a light-performance image (ASET or Ideal-Scope) of the diamond. If you will post those images here, you will get some terrific advice on the potential purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results