shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with colored stone/ring ID please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I found this ring at an antique shop, and it had such a neat stone and setting I couldn''t pass it up... The lady called it an alexandrite, but I''m skeptical. It changes color a bit - it''s purple in sunlight but sometimes gets a bluish tinge in fluorescent lighting. Wondering what you all think. I''m pretty sure it''s a color change synthetic of some kind - it''s very large and has no inclusions, but the cut is very nice, IMO, very sparkly and no significant window.

Also wondering if anyone has any info about the source of the ring - it''s set in silver.
She said it was her mothers, and that it was purchased probably about 40-50 yrs ago in Mexico. The ring is stamped sterling 925 taxco imz and has a sort of a shield with the number 3 in it. She claimed that Taxco was well known for their sterling artisans, but I''m curious if anyone knows more...

Either way, it''s a great ''fun'' ring - it''s enormous!!
I will attach some pics.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
with flash indoors - looks blue

DSCN2001.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
w/o flash indoors - purple

DSCN2002.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
side view of the swirly setting - so fun!

DSCN2003.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
some of the sparklieness!

DSCN2004.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
the stamp

DSCN2007.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
on my hand! (ring size is about 5)

DSCN2000.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your hunch may be right: color change synthetic sapphire is sold around the world -- especially Mexico -- as alexandrite. But you don''t mention any color change in incandescent light, which should be reddish. The stone could also could be amethyst. Large, clean amethysts are fairly common and the shift to blue in fluorescent light suggests that possibility to me. Check the color under a regular light bulb and report back.

Taxco in Guerrero is the best known silver-working locale in Mexico and .925 is the designation for Sterling Silver (92.5% pure silver). The Taxco silversmiths are very talented and the design for this ring is "fun" as you say. I''ve never seen "prongs" made so creatively!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hm... I haven''t noticed any reddish tint under regular bulbs... only the blue. but I''ll have to go home and check again.
The lady also said it might be an amethyst - is it possible it''s a natural stone?! It''s huge!

Thanks for the insight on Taxco - nice to know she was right about that! (You never know, ya know?!) But yes, I thought the prongs were so unique... it gives a great sort of swirly look! Since the stone is so large, I had some thoughts about changing it to a pendant or pin of some kind, but I am hesitant to change the setting in any way...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 6:24:56 PM
Author: flopkins
The lady also said it might be an amethyst - is it possible it''s a natural stone?! It''s huge!

Yes, it''s possible, if it''s amethyst and the ring''s as old as the lady says. On a cruise to Mexico a few years ago I noticed nearly all the amethyst offered by shops in cities we visited was synthetic (as were the turquoise, malachite/chrysocolla and lots of other stones. But in the 1950s synthetic amethyst hadn''t been developed.

I took another look at your images and the 4th one down shows quite a bit of red compared with your second image. Different lighting?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That''s a very pretty ring, whatever it is.

Enormous ring set with "alexandrite"=color-change synthetic sapphire were popular in the 1960s, when your ring is supposed to be from. I have one myself. But your setting is much prettier. Mine changes color pretty dramatically. It''s almost greenish lavender in daylight and reddish purple in incandescent light.

Is your stone scratched up at all? That might be a clue. Sapphire (corundum) is quite a bit harder than amethyst.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i quite like the setting! very creative use of prongs and ''bezel'' effect!

peace, movie zombie

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My guess would be synthetic "alexandrite like" color change sapphire. It was sold a lot in Mexico during that time period.

You can distinguish amethyst from sapphire by using "visual optics" (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/visual-optics-special-weapons-tactics-for-guerilla-gemology.10635/).

Hold the table of the stone close to your eye, looking through it at a very small (tilted) penlight source in a dark room.

Sapphire has a higher refractive index and will probably show only one ring of spectral images towards the outer edge of the stone. Amethyst will show two or three rings of spectral images much closer in.

Sapphire spectral images will also appear sharp and clear, while amethyst spectral images will appear a little fuzzy.

The Taxco workmanship appears typically unique and well done.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
First off, thanks all for your replies!

Date: 11/18/2005 7:46:07 PM
Author: Richard M.

I took another look at your images and the 4th one down shows quite a bit of red compared with your second image. Different lighting?

Yes,I took a closer look at it under an incandescent light, and it shows about as much reddish as that 4th pic, but it's a bit hard to see in real life.

Seems as if it's the color change synthetic sapphire to me... judging from what glitterata and R Sherwood said too about the popularity of the stone at the time.

Any idea how much the ring might be worth as a vintage piece? (unfortunately, I don't know the weight of the stone... ) Does the taxco origin give any added value? wondering if it's worth an appraisal, I'm curious to know more!
9.gif

ETA: glitterata - I also took a closer look at the table, and it looks in remarkably good shape, I could only see one or two tiny chips on it - more indication that it's a sapphire?!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flopkins, I couldn't begin to tell you what the stone is but I really like it! It's such a fun and unusual piece. Congrats on a great find!

PS. Personally, I wouldn't change it at all. It's too fun as a ring. I think it would be more "normal" as a pin or pendant.

ETA: Congratulations on passing your 1 yr anniversary with PS!!!!!
36.gif

Lightbender

Rough_Rock
That''s a pretty piece, and it MAY be a real collector''s item.
Alexandrite-like synthetic corundum is not that color....not even close. It WAS available in the 1950''s and is still available now.
However, judging from the pix you posted (dangerous way to make an ID), my guess would be the color-change synthetic spinel that was popular then but has not been manufactured for many years. Those are interesting collector stones, for sure.
Any jeweler with a refractometer can make a quick checxk for you.
Congratulations!!

Lightbender

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 4:56:39 PM
Author: Lightbender

Alexandrite-like synthetic corundum is not that color....not even close.

Lightbender

Hi Lightbender. I'm puzzled by this statement, as I have seen plenty of alexandrite-like synthetic corundum similar in color to the pictures posted.

My experience with color change synthetic spinel on the other hand has been of a dark green to reddish violet color change, often in a very dark (almost blackish) tone.

Flopkins, when you find out what it is be sure and let us know. Our curiosity is whetted.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I have no academic opinion on it... but I just LOVE it!! WOW... if you ever get bored with it.. I guess that I could relieve you of that heavy burden!
28.gif

It is wonderful! I love how big it is and whatever it may be... it certainly is unique and beautiful!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
catmom- thanks for the compliments and congrats! I didn't realize I've been here for a year!
6.gif

Mine- thanks!

Richard Sherwood - I tried the spectral image thing - and I still can't tell! I definitely see the specta on the edges... but I'm not sure how far in they're supposed to be, I see about 2-3 rows... They do look a tad fuzzy to me though, like I can see sort of a rainbow effect on the edges of the images...

Now I definitely don't know what type of stone it is!
33.gif

ETA: Do you think I could bring it in to any jeweler and they would be able to tell me w/a refractometer?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2005 2:24:28 PM
Author: flopkins
ETA: Do you think I could bring it in to any jeweler and they would be able to tell me w/a refractometer?

Any gemologist or appraiser with a refractometer could tell you. Not all jewelers have the instrument though.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
wow!! thanks pyramid! Fire&Ice has some gorgeous pieces!!!

Anyhoo, for anyone still on the edge of their seat about this, I took it to my local jeweler I frequent and the owner identified it as a synthetic alexandrite! So my first guess was pretty close. She didn''t check it w/a refractometer though, she was busy w/another, more lucrative client (I go in there all the time just to browse)... and I didn''t want to bother her too much.
9.gif

It''s such a fun piece though - when my parents came over for Thanksgiving my mom saw it and wore it for the weekend, I might give it to her for Christmas!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results