shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing a diamond online

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
I've started my diamond searching journey and I found some options that I've been considering. Some of the online tools seem to have some contrasting information (eg. Cut estimator and the HCA score).

1. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.40-ct-D-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54281451?rfr=pricescope#
This comes up as H&A on the IGI report, does that can considered much compared to some of the other indicators? Unfortunately the 360 video view makes it hard to really see the diamond properly.

2. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.40-ct-E-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54060738?rfr=pricescope
This second one for example came up as ex for HCA on the price scope search but falls outside of what GIA would rate as excellent.
1693145437846.png

3. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.40-ct-D-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54095378?rfr=pricescope

4. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.38-ct-E-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54362165?rfr=pricescope

These all seemed like decent diamonds from what I can see but would like to see if my research is on the right track.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
2. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.40-ct-E-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54060738?rfr=pricescope
This second one for example came up as ex for HCA on the price scope search but falls outside of what GIA would rate as excellent.
1693145437846.png

3. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.40-ct-D-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54095378?rfr=pricescope

4. https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.38-ct-E-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D54362165?rfr=pricescope

These all seemed like decent diamonds from what I can see but would like to see if my research is on the right track.
Stone number 2 falls well within GIA Excellent cut parameters.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Is a seasoned professional. I'm not an expert, but if he says it falls with the excellent range, then it does. Also, remember, the HCA is a tool used to eliminate diamonds. It should not really be used to choose a diamond. That being said, my inexperienced eyes like # 2, but let some of the other professionals chime in.

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Is a seasoned professional. I'm not an expert, but if he says it falls with the excellent range, then it does. Also, remember, the HCA is a tool used to eliminate diamonds. It should not really be used to choose a diamond. That being said, my inexperienced eyes like # 2, but let some of the other professionals chime in.

For sure! I definitely assume everyone here has a lot more experience than I do . I'm just curious to dig out how he determined it.

The HCA comment is useful too. I feel like at my price range I don't see many ideal scope or aset images, so I'm trying to use some of these other tools to make an informed choice. But you're right, it's probably less than ideal using them to choose.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if it's bc #2 has crown and pavilion angles within the parameters of an ideal cut. The first stone has a crown angle of >35. I'm also wondering if #1 has a slight blue tinge. But there are many more with more experienced eyes than mine. Good luck!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not on a color-calibrated device at the moment, but I think #1 is the best of the four.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA favors diamonds that are too deep anyway (fox guarding the diamond cutters hen house?).
But those proportions fit nicely on the X border. GIA has (I am 90% sure) now accepting many more shallower proportion combinations - #karl
Stormrider - I think we both noticed.
However i am not commenting on any of these stones - just that one issue re the chart you posted.
The first letter is GIA grade - the number is the old AGS system grade
1693202376170.png

Worth noting that the 59% table size also makes a big jump to shallower 40.6 degree stones:
1693202661971.png

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry those charts help to explain things! In terms of GIA favouring too deep, does that mean your personal preference would be to lean towards the shallower (pavilion angles) end of the gradings?

Are these charts available anywhere for the other table sizes? I tried to do a search and could only find this reference

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the other replies too! I'm going to look deeper into stone 1 and 2.

I noticed stone 1 seems to have a pale point(?) In the centre section where the black points are. I wasn't sure if it was because of the image angle but unfortunately their support didn't have any extra photos to give me.

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
I was tempted for the first stone but sadly it got sold. Based on your advice for more shallower angles, I'm currently deciding #2 and this new stone. Are there any obvious concerns from these characteristics?

360 view

ShapeRound
Size1.40
ColorE
ClarityVVS2
CutID
PolishEX
SymmetryEX
FluorescenceNone
Measurements7.17 - 7.21 x 4.42
Ratio0.99
Depth4.42%
Table56%
Crown Angle34.2°
Crown Height15%
Pavilion Angle40.7°
Pavilion Depth43%
CuletPOINTED

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was tempted for the first stone but sadly it got sold. Based on your advice for more shallower angles, I'm currently deciding #2 and this new stone. Are there any obvious concerns from these characteristics?

360 view

ShapeRound
Size1.40
ColorE
ClarityVVS2
CutID
PolishEX
SymmetryEX
FluorescenceNone
Measurements7.17 - 7.21 x 4.42
Ratio0.99
Depth4.42%
Table56%
Crown Angle34.2°
Crown Height15%
Pavilion Angle40.7°
Pavilion Depth43%
CuletPOINTED

looks goo as far as I can see. No symmetry readings from that video.

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
Sorry for another tangent but I think I've stumbled into another rabbit hole now that I've discovered gcal gradings.

Looking at previous threads gcal 8x looks to be a pretty solid indicator of diamonds. I've also seen in the more basic reports that they report on symmetry and optical brilliance but without the accompanying picture.

Do you know if the `Excellent` grade is usually a reliable indicator?

No symmetry readings from that
I'm wondering if it's safer relying on a GCAL cert diamond in cases where like for this case the retailers' video doesn't give a good indication of symmetry or light performance from the retailers' videos.
As an example
1693364206306.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
34/40.2 77% lowers is a no go in a ring.
The gcal 8x report is the gcal report to look for

tubbyroll

Rough_Rock
Perfect, thanks so much for the help!
Now I just gotta toss up between one of the gems I've been looking at or stretching the budget to gcal 8x.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results