shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CAD - Unhappy

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Hello group. I have picked my stone, 2.24 carat RB and am now working on the CAD. I asked for this setting, but larger stones with the shank as pictured first...

And the CAD is as outlined in the second picture. Am I just totally clueless when it comes to CADs? I am not ready to approve such a thing when I asked for a RB stone in a cushion halo, with falling edge, and no gaps/spaces/ blank spaces around the stone and the halo. I have been told they 'need room' to fine tune and all and that the final piece will only be 2.2 mm tall and 3mm wide but holy cow this looks horrific to me! Look at the gaps around the halo... Not to mention the awkward spaces on the shank between the diamonds? What am I missing here?

_35573.jpg

_35574.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not good with CADs so I will leave that to the experienced PSers. My suggestion is to look at their custom halo rings, those they make for other clients. If the products aren't anything to shout about, then you should try working with someone else. Unless they change their bench, your halo ring will look like any halo rings they have produced in the past. Sometimes, it's not just a matter of telling them how you want yours different from the others they have made previously, it's could just be the level of craftsmanship. But higher craftsmanship is costly too. Hope you can get something you like in the end and post photos!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vizsla Girl|1449896760|3960538 said:
Am I just totally clueless when it comes to CADs?
Yes, but it sounds like no one explained how this works to you yet, so let me help you a bit. There are two kinds of cad's. One is the kind that is life like and designed to sell. The second is designed to be built. This means the setting is actually made from the cad model, cast, and then the setting worked by hand after casting to arrive at what you want. You are looking at the second type of cad. That shank is very thick and the only reason for that is to have enough material to make the seats, beads and decorative features of the shank as well as to remove the rough surface left by casting to smooth and polish the piece. This goes for the halo as well.

I am not ready to approve such a thing when I asked for a RB stone in a cushion halo, with falling edge, and no gaps/spaces/ blank spaces around the stone and the halo. I have been told they 'need room' to fine tune and all and that the final piece will only be 2.2 mm tall and 3mm wide but holy cow this looks horrific to me! Look at the gaps around the halo... Not to mention the awkward spaces on the shank between the diamonds? What am I missing here?
Don't approve it until you talk with the maker further and have them explain how they will meet your requirements. As far as I can see they have met those requirements, but it can't look like a finished ring since it is designed to be grown on a 3D printer, cast and finished. As for the gaps around the center stone, they will disappear once the stone is set down further so that the girdle is at least even with the top of the halo. Remember that the pavilion of a stone drops off dramatically, so if the stone has any height above the halo you will see a rather glaring gap. My advice is to print your image out, mark all of the areas which concern you and take that to the maker. Give them one copy and keep one for yourself. After discussing this with them I'm sure that you'll be much more comfortable with the way the cad's look. Once you pick the finished piece up, check it against your redlined copy and if they've met your concerns, you'll be totally happy and good to go.

You don't mention your ring size and so I would also suggest trying on a band which is as thick as they intend to make this. 2.2mm is pretty thick and if you have small fingers you may find that much thickness between your fingers to be uncomfortable. Better to test the fit first.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Click on the links provided and read thwm through. They will help you a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.3 is thick.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the additional information and explanations. I will call and have them confirm their process and will point out the specific areas I am finding not to my liking.

Also, the band is 2.3 mm high, my wedding ring is 2.2mm high so I am used to that... And 3mm wide... I was going for a specific carat weight in the shank and I think they were trying to accommodate that request. I definitely need to talk to them more!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful :appl: Glad you came back with hand shot. Enjoy this lovely piece.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! :appl: Congratulations! :clap:

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it turned out exceptionally well. It's very beautiful.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blingtastic!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results