shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CAD please

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
This is my first time designing a ring and also working with David Klass. I've read such wonderful things about his work. I have a 7mm diamond I want to reset from a very thick and busy Tacori style 3 sided pave setting to something simpler. I feel like my current setting makes my stone look much smaller than it is and I'm just excited for something totally different.

David has come up with this CAD based on this ring that he made in the past: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcNcwEBFD-K/

I know that the size of the halo stones are probably bigger than some would prefer but I'm going for a flowery look and much prefer the 3 stone per section look to the 5 stone per section that he's also done in this design.

This is all new to me. Does anyone have any advice or if there anything that I'm missing? 42650-QUAD.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Bumping in the hopes of getting some advice. I'm feeling uncertain as David's original plan was 5 stones per section of the halo. I really prefer the 3 stone look but I'm not sure if the proportions will look right with my 7mm stone. I think the ring I linked on IG is more like 7.7mm.

Thanks!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great!! I'm excited to see the finished project!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, but I'm not a cad expert at all. But the design overall is gorgeous!

L

lydial

I think it is very pretty, and well proportioned, but maybe a tad busy with the shank design, basket, halo and milgrain all happening at once (based on the video), but this is coming from a girl who likes things very plain and unadorned, with minimal experience with cads.....

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s very pretty. The thing I’m confused about is that you said you wanted something simpler and this doesn’t seem like that. But maybe you are just ready for something new (which so many of your fellow PSers understand!).

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Believe it or not this is a lot simpler than my current setting, which has side stones, then bands of stones on each side of the side stones, then three sided pave down the sides, and surprise diamonds, milgrain, and is 3/4 carats. This is a lot fewer stones, lower carat weight and simpler overall. I know it's still busy though, but to me it's simpler!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm guessing that he is using three stones per section vs. five as that is what fits best? In order to have five, you would have to have much smaller diamonds. If you want a flowery look, I think the three larger stones vs. five smaller stones will do the trick. I think it looks very nice - have you spoken with him about the choice of the number of stones? I am sure he could explain it far better than we can and maybe set your mind at ease.

Reactions: D&T

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Well his initial plan was to go with 5 stones per section and I'm the one pushing for 3 stones. I know he's done 5 stones before for 1 ct stones, my stone is 1.3 so it's between a 1 ct and the 1.7 ct IG example I posted. That's why I'm not sure if it will change the aesthetic.

On the CAD it kind of looks like there are bars of gold between the halo stones, which I'm not sure I would like. I have an email in to ask him about it.

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Both the old & new sound amazing!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size melee did he spec out for the 5 stone version on original cad?

0AB3A8DA-F77B-44EE-8AE0-7E313C61A83F.jpeg
Hard to say if those ‘bars’ in the cad would come out like this ring he did? But it’s a great idea for you to ask him to clarify so you know up front!

Pretty inspiration! Your ring will be beautiful - hope you come back to post finished project.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
He didn't put stones in my initial CAD so I'm not sure how large they would be. But I do know that's what he was intending to use. The 5 stones per section are tiny, here is a video of a 1 ct stone with the 5 stone style. Also really pretty but I prefer 3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd1GjFHFH7C/

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Decision_Decisions I am with you on the 3 stones per section. The 5 stones per looks a bit busy. This reset will be beautiful!

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Every CAD I have seen and had done always leaves me nervous and then the finished product is beautiful. By looking at your examples, I also much prefer the 3 stone look than the five and surprisingly I really like the flowery look (on first thought I didn't think that I would) I agree with asking any concerns you have now but I think it is going to turn out beautiful. Good luck!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He didn't put stones in my initial CAD so I'm not sure how large they would be. But I do know that's what he was intending to use. The 5 stones per section are tiny, here is a video of a 1 ct stone with the 5 stone style. Also really pretty but I prefer 3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd1GjFHFH7C/

That makes sense -
I was thinking maybe when going from five to three stones in your cad, the same size was kept - thus needing the ‘bars’ to fill in the space.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that I personally would much prefer 3 stones per section than 5. It would make for a cleaner look and give you more of that floral effect you were looking for. This is going to be a beauty!!!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
David said that those were gold bars and that they were necessary to space out the stones in the halo size that he originally designed with 5 stones per section planned. I told him I don't think I'll like the bars and he changed the size of the halo some but he hasn't sent me a new CAD. He is sending me a plastic mold so we'll see how different the shape is.

Thanks everyone for the input and help!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I received the plastic mold today and have attached some pictures. I happen to have a 7mm loose cz that I dropped in for reference as well as the band that I would wear it with. There are pretty large spaces between where the stones will be but I don't think there will be gold bars anymore. What do you think of the proportions and size on my 5.25 finger?

One thing is that I think the shank is a little too wide. I had originally wanted a straight shank and my CAD had it at 2.0mm, but this current shank is 2.22 and it feels too wide with the reduced size of the halo. Opinions on straight vs marquise shaped shank?

Any insight is really appreciated!

20190712_182332.jpg 20190712_151548.jpg 20190712_152313.jpg

Attachments

• 20190712_152313.jpg
    20190712_152313.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results