shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CAD for custom Asscher e-ring

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here before so bear with me :)

I've been using Pricescope in the past few weeks to research designs for an engagement ring. After many hours scrolling through these posts, I started to work with a great local jeweler to customize an engagement ring.

We used Erika Winters and CvB as the inspiration behind what I was looking for and he sent me a CAD rendering. I think it's a great first draft, but I feel like there's something missing and I'm not sure if that's just what the CAD looks like. I've heard CAD renderings can make the ring look clunkier than it will be, but I want the final ring to look somewhat delicate. I really want the band to taper (thinner at the top). I am going for a vintage look and love little millgrain details and am looking to have some hidden details on the basket of the ring.

If you were me, are there any little touches or things you'd change on the CAD? I think I want a bit more detail on the underneath part but am conscious of making it too crowded!

Thank you for your thoughts!

Ring view 1.jpg Ring View 2.jpg Ring view 3.jpg Ring view 4.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post your inspiration photos and circle the elements you like about them. If there’s any strong feelings about what you don’t want, or want to avoid, post those inspo photos with circles as well.
That helps immensely with suggestions that you are asking for. Knowing your taste.
But, most importantly, have you in seen finished work of the jewelr you chose?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many mm is your stone?

Did you want the shank to have a tapered look from the top of the shank? Doesnt look like you're getting that if thats what you wanted. You'll
need to talk to him about that.

What are you interested in in the gallery area? Doesn't look like there is much room. I always like the fleur-de-lis symbol which might fit.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large is the stone. If it’s under about 1.8 carats, I might suggest going to single claw instead of double...

It looks like the shank is tapered from the bottom to the top, but I was thinking you meant pinched by the head?

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
Thanks, all! Really helpful. I'm including some of the inspiration pictures. I know that these were mostly for RB stones, which won't necessarily work with an asscher, but I liked the detailing.

Rfisher: posted the pics below, I love the first picture which is from Erika Winters, and the below are examples of the gallery areas (although like I mentioned they likely wouldn't work for this ring). I've seen the jewelers work and it's great, really like the store and what they've done in the past

tyty333: I think you're right on the gallery area, so probably can't get too intricate here, but love little tiny details if they can fit.

Whitewave - Good to know on the single claw vs double. I am actually still looking for a stone. We were going off of a 2ct dimensions, but am looking between 2-2.5ct, so about 7-7.5mm. The dimensions the jeweler used come from a 2.02ct stone. I am also looking for the shank to be pinched by the head

Erika Winters.JPG Millgrain.jpg CvB basket.jpg Erika Winters 2.JPG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, let’s talk gallery.

Asschers get FILTHY all the time.

I chose to have an open gallery so I could easily clean the pavilion image.jpg

Excuse the dog toys as we are on rainy day schedule.

My aqua has a harder to clean gallery and it drives me insane because it leaves water spots sometimes and it makes me crazy.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first impression is that the cathedral shoulders need to be concave, as all your inspiration pics shown are
As opposed to your jeweler making your CAD have convex cathedral shoulders.
E61D362B-BBDC-4CEB-80B1-38D292C7F69C.jpeg
Did you decide on a squared off shank? I see squared, rounded and an inbetween in your inspirations.

Edited to add:
I would resist fiddling with CADs until the stone is found and obtained.

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
Good to know on the gallery!

Rfisher: Thanks for the advice on the shoulders, I agree. We didn't necessarily agree on a square shank, but the first picture and that fluidity is more what I'm looking for, the rest of the inspiration is more on feeling.

I agree, we definitely won't make final decisions on CAD until we have the diamond :) .. We are going to see the diamonds this weekend and will hopefully make a decision on one. At the moment, he is using the dimensions from an asscher he had in store that we looked at.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, let’s talk gallery.

Asschers get FILTHY all the time.

I chose to have an open gallery so I could easily clean the pavilion image.jpg

Excuse the dog toys as we are on rainy day schedule.

My aqua has a harder to clean gallery and it drives me insane because it leaves water spots sometimes and it makes me crazy.

This! ——^

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first impression is that the cathedral shoulders need to be concave, as all your inspiration pics shown are
As opposed to your jeweler making your CAD have convex cathedral shoulders.
E61D362B-BBDC-4CEB-80B1-38D292C7F69C.jpeg
Did you decide on a squared off shank? I see squared, rounded and an inbetween in your inspirations.

Edited to add:
I would resist fiddling with CADs until the stone is found and obtained.

All of this! ——-^
I’m looking at the inspiration pics, and I’m struggling to find the exact details you’re looking for.
The reverse tapered shank is lovely. I get THAT feel.
I’m not seeing that in the CADS at all.
There is no Cathedral style, as mentioned above.
Honestly, an open gallery with detail on the shank, perhaps even 1-2pt, bead set rounds along the profile or the prongs would add a little “extra”, so you can leave the gallery open for maximum light exposure, and better access for cleaning.
Building the ring around YOUR stone should be the focus.
This weekend should be fun for you! Choosing “THE” Asscher to create your bespoke piece! ♥

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
All of this! ——-^
I’m looking at the inspiration pics, and I’m struggling to find the exact details you’re looking for.
The reverse tapered shank is lovely. I get THAT feel.
I’m not seeing that in the CADS at all.
There is no Cathedral style, as mentioned above.
Honestly, an open gallery with detail on the shank, perhaps even 1-2pt, bead set rounds along the profile or the prongs would add a little “extra”, so you can leave the gallery open for maximum light exposure, and better access for cleaning.
Building the ring around YOUR stone should be the focus.
This weekend should be fun for you! Choosing “THE” Asscher to create your bespoke piece! ♥

Great advice thank you! Think you're right, will be easier to build around once I find the exact stone :)

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update - I found the "ONE" today :) ... Ended up looking at 3 diamonds (2.5ct, 2.62ct and 2.7ct) and the 2.5 was the most visually beautiful to me and the step cuts were beautiful. Surprisingly, it also had the best spread of the three. I don't have a great picture that does it justice otherwise I would post it to view. The store sent me a picture they took, but almost looks like any other stock picture.

The details are below:

Measurements: 7.68 x 7.5 x 5.01mm
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Table: 61%
Depth: 66.4%
Girdle: Slightly Thick

I sent a bunch of comments to my jeweler and should have some more updates early next week on the design now that the diamond is selected.

I'm also considering going with the Erika Winters setting instead of the custom route. The diamond was less than we expected it to be and her setting is now in our budget. While I've posted a few pictures of it, the link is here: https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-willa-solitaire/

Thanks and hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!
The stone sounds lovely and I think it’s fantastic you are going to consider the setting from EW like you originally had listed as an inspo.
If you can get something that’s already designed just the way you want it - go for it.
I’d love to have one of her pieces someday. They look divine!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we all love erica winters’ rings. That one is gorgeous and sounds exactly like what you wanted.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update - I found the "ONE" today :) ... Ended up looking at 3 diamonds (2.5ct, 2.62ct and 2.7ct) and the 2.5 was the most visually beautiful to me and the step cuts were beautiful. Surprisingly, it also had the best spread of the three. I don't have a great picture that does it justice otherwise I would post it to view. The store sent me a picture they took, but almost looks like any other stock picture.

The details are below:

Measurements: 7.68 x 7.5 x 5.01mm
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Table: 61%
Depth: 66.4%
Girdle: Slightly Thick

I sent a bunch of comments to my jeweler and should have some more updates early next week on the design now that the diamond is selected.

I'm also considering going with the Erika Winters setting instead of the custom route. The diamond was less than we expected it to be and her setting is now in our budget. While I've posted a few pictures of it, the link is here: https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-willa-solitaire/

Thanks and hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!

Can’t wait to see the finished ring, and hand shots!!
So glad your hunt has been successful, and you can purchase the setting you originally wanted! It will be beautiful!!

Ahl8ws

Rough_Rock
Big proposal happened over July 4th and couldn't be happier with how everything ended up :)

Wanted to share the final pics! I ended up custom adding sapphires to the basket as well

61559990992__6D0A2ECE-9817-4EED-9F58-9DDBD4988E85.JPG IMG_7191.jpg IMG_7192.JPG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big proposal happened over July 4th and couldn't be happier with how everything ended up :)

Wanted to share the final pics! I ended up custom adding sapphires to the basket as well

61559990992__6D0A2ECE-9817-4EED-9F58-9DDBD4988E85.JPG IMG_7191.jpg IMG_7192.JPG

It’s gorgeous and looks big!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and stunning setting - congratulations on your engagement!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!
Everything turned out beautifully!
You’ll have to share your proposal story on the thread dedicated to proposals, once you find your gown, you should share that on the appropriate thread, here, as well!!
This ring deserves its own separate thread!
Details, and TONS of photos!!
Is there a significance to sapphires, or a story behind them?
Do tell!!
...and share more photos of your glorious ring!!! :kiss2:

ETA: What band will you pair with this beauty?

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring turned out beautiful!!!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful setting and diamond! Did you end up going with Erika Winters?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results