shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with buying first diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jkwild

Rough_Rock
Hi! I went with my girlfriend the other day to search for an engagement ring for her. She came across a ring she really liked, and i would like to know your opinions about the price.

Here are the specs:

1.55 Carat
G Color
SI 2 Clarity
Ideal "Tolkowsky" Cut
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
EGL Certified

Price: $5,900

Is this a good price? Do you think i can get this seller to go down on price?

Your Opinions are needed for me to make a good decision.

Happy ThanksGiving!

Jkwild :confused:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
JK, there's a function called PriceScope up at the top of the screen. You can input the parameters of your stone, and then do a search for similar stones available from internet suppliers, along with prices.

It gives you a good barometer to go by. A "bricks & mortar" store will usually be more expensive than an internet supplier, because of their increased overhead and services. Even still, the internet search results will tell you if they are in the neighborhood of reasonableness.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Googleman

Rough_Rock
I checked on Pricescope and the price seems fair.

Have you run this diamond through the HCA? I am only asking because I have run across several stones labeled "Tolkowsky ideal cut" and when I ran the numbers through the HCA, the diamond appeared less than stellar. You could also request a b-scope report.

I am guessing you have seen the stone in person? I ask this because with an SI2 clarity grade, you will probably be able to see the inclusions in the diamond with your naked eye. This may not bother you, but something to consider.

Also, which EGL lab graded the stone? I have come across much information that certain EGL labs are more reliable with respect to their grading. (You could do a search on here to find out more.)

I would get a second opinion on the stone from an independent appraiser. Either have them send the stone out to a reputable person before you purchase (if they are willing) or buy the stone, ensuring you have a full refund return policy in writing, and then take the stone to be appraised. If the stone is not already set, don't have them set the stone until after you have it checked out.

If you are still excited about the stone after all this, go for it!

Jkwild

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for repling to my post!

I have checked many sites on the web in the past couple days and i haven't been able to find a deal that this dealer is about to give me.

I checked the HCA and it said this:
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 2.5 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

So i shouldn't have them set the diamond before i take it to be appraised? Is that because they can hide the flaws?

I didn't see any inclusions without the loop so that is great for an SI2.

5,900 is only a fair price? So i should be able to talk him down you think?

Thanks for you help again. :)

JKwild

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An eye clean SI2 in a 1.5xct? If the price is fair count your blessings that you've found an eye clean Si2. Most Si2's in that size range have eye visible inclusions. If you are being treated fairly and you're not being taken advantage of in the price don't try and bleed the vendor for every drop of blood if he's found you this stone. Buy it and be thankful. Most people buying 1.5xct stones who are even considering Si2 clarities know it's going to be pretty messy inside... especially if they hear the words "EGL". When a supplier tells me he has a nice EGL Si2 diamond available ... I kinda chuckle but it sounds like you found that 1 in a million. :bigsmile: If you like it, go for it.

Peace,
Rhino

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
jkwild:

I know you have probably seen the diamond already, but for the information of other consumers buying this type of diamond please consider the following. You must ask the seller where and what type of inclusion it is and if it is eye visible. We usually find EGL graded SI2's to be a hit or miss option. Make sure that the company you are buying from has an inspection period and a full refund policy so that you can inspect the diamond risk free.

Also, you may want to ask the seller to photograph the diamond at higher magnification first and e-mail you the picture so that you can "see" the inclusion first.

Good luck!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results