shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with buying a regent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PD

Rough_Rock
Hi I am about to propose to my girlfriend of three years, and need help with buying the best diamond I can afford. We have gone out shopping for a diamond and I was sure she loved the round diamond the most - just like her mom's and grandmother's. In this regard I knew exactly what specs I would want and was ready to find a good jeweler nearby. However, the other day she mentioned that a Regent diamond she saw was breathtaking. I really want to surprise her with the regent since I know she was hinting but thought that it went right over my head. since it is no surprise that we are getting engaged, I want to at least surprise her with the ring of her dreams and a unique proposal.
Any suggestions as to how to approach this? I know that when we looked at round diamonds together we both preferred diamonds between 1 and 1.5 carats in the colorless range, with better than VS1 clarity, and Ideal cut. My questions are how would a Regent diamond with these specs compare in price to the round, and where can I find a jeweler to show me these since the online site suggested by other posts (goodoldgold.com)didn't list anything over 1 carat with the quality I am looking for.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Regent diamonds are only cut by one source. If they don't have it, then you'd be sourcing an excuse for a Regent.

I would just be patient with GOG as he is one of Regent's authorized dealers.

Sooner or later the stone you want will appear.

This of course depends on how much you want a Regent rather than another similar cut.

Hope this helps.
Rockdoc....

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI...I am a Regnent fan myself
twirl.gif
and am in the process of looking at stones...

You mentioned that your GF liked her Mothers and Grandmothers rings...it may be possible that they may have been Old mine Cut which is more cushiony than round and the Regent than round...just a thought

SO as far as where there are Regents...Good old Glod is the retailer for the northeast...I don't know where you live...

SO as far as finding stones in your 'range' you could chat with Cary Horowitz at Horowitz and Atlass in NYC (they are the cutters) I have spoken with him and he is very nice...He does have stones that are > than 1c but they are in limited supply...check with him...If you are not in a rush...he can probably get what you want...and send to Jonathan at GOG...or the retailer in your area if there is one...I am in Boston and I am heading down to see Jonathan next weekend to look at the stones...

I will be speaking ot Cary this week and will mention that you are looking...

Regents are awesome...

Best of Luck

diane

PD

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply. My decision hinges on how long it generally takes for specific regent diamonds to become available. I do not think I am looking for an unusual diamond (between 1 and 1.5 carats, better than VS1 clarity, D-F color, very good cut), so I have no idea if it will take a few weeks or a year to get a diamond with these specifications.

So while I hate to sound impatient, I really wanted to propose ASAP but if it is a very long wait for a diamond like this (i.e. 6 months or more) I may propose without the diamond, or just get her the round brilliant she always talked about. But then again, if it is only a few weeks I may wait to surprise her with the Regent.

Any input from people who purchased a Regent from goodoldgold.com, especially those of you who may have waited for a specific diamond to become available?

Thanks in advance!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Ho me again...

SO I know Cary is in Vegas ang Back on 4th...

He had told me that he had stones in the 1.2sih and 1.4ish range...

and that he had just gotten some new ones in...

when he gets new stones in they go to GIA...that takes about 3-4weeks...

SO COntact Jonathan, call Cary and tell him what you want...and he will tell you what he has to offer...and then he can send it to Jonathan...

Hope this helps...

I think it is great that you are working so hard to get you GF what she wants...

I am going to get what I want...but I am doing all the work

Up_to_something.gif

PD

Rough_Rock
Hi Diane, thanks for your post. I did confirm with her mother and grandmother that their rings are both round. Her grandfather was a jeweler so they both have really beautiful rings. I want to get a ring for my gf that is just as beautiful, so that someday our granddaughter will want a similar one! Of course this is not as easy as it sounds and I am in Boston as well, and found the service on Washington Street (which everyone recommends to me) very disappointing!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI I was dissapointed with the Washington Street crowd as well

So...I think if your GF wants a Regent...go for it I don't think the wait will be too long

Since you are in Boston as well I would suggest a road trip :)

What I am doing in looking at Jonathans invnetory and having him call in stuff from Cary..in my range...

Since your range is a bit higher than mine...I will be @ 1c...and you are looking higher...we are looking at the same stones... hee hee...

As I mentioned I will be chatting with Cary to follow up with stuff for my visit to Jonathan on Sat and I will ask him what he has in the 1.2-1.5 range as well..you should call too :)

Also all of these stones have GIA certs...

E-mail me through here

diane

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Alrighty, I'll bite
eat.gif
... whats a regent?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Nate...it is a fancy shaped diamond...that is a modified square brilliant...it is 'cushiony'in appearance you can see what it looks like on Good Old Golds Web site... as they are the retailer...

It is under 'fancy' shapes in the 'for sale' section

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi RockDoc,

I have a few questions...My hubby and I are beginning to search for either a Regent cut or a Jubilee cut for the upgrade I would like to get for our 25th wedding anniversary
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
in February of 2006. My first question...we live in Riverside, Ca and wonder where we could see and purchase a stone in our area?
emotion-40.gif
I know a jeweler in Irvine who is willing to work with us on a custom design, so would he have access to those cuts?
emthup.gif

I have been a part of PS for a brief time and contribute where appropriate, but I do have concerns cuz alot of folks here on PS have access to midwest and eastern jewelers and I do not...
emsad.gif

Because cost is always an issue, I may have to surrender on a trade in basis my current diamonds to make the setting and diamond change, but I have to consider what we can afford at the time we do this.

My hubby and I are parents to 9 kids and 2 of them are currently in braces and the 4 oldest are attending college, so cost of things are ALWAYS considered
emotion-15.gif
. Chris, my hubby, works hard, owns 3 businesses--2 local businesses and his own business consulting business. He knows I have asked for very little in the way of jewelry over the years mostly cuz the $ wasn''t there for it. He has ALWAYS made sure I have some very nice things--a huge 4200 sq. ft. home with 6 bedrooms, 4 baths and a 2004 Excursion to do my "mommy" errands. I like nice leather handbags, and excellent quality clothes for myself and kids, so we have plenty. My husband drives a nice BMW and he deserves it...plus, its safe.
emotion-5.gif

With the big 2-5 looming, I took the assertive approach and we discussed it. Its my turn to have something I would really like just for me...an upgrade...Hope you can help...sorry for the rambling on and on...I just feel really blessed to be even planning on a 25th anniversary!
emembarrassed.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Contact GOG for a regent he has more available than is on his website.
The ones on his website are in stock but he has more available he can call in.
He was the first vendor to sell them and has a great relationship with the develper of the cut so if its out there he can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results