shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Burmese red spinel

vik84

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I tracked down a beautiful 5.2ct Burmese red spinel from a reputable dealer. The stone will get certified by AGL to verify Burma origin and no treatment. I really like the color, almost compares to Mogok rubies. But I'm not sure if it's a bit darker than ideal Burma spinel color and whether there's a small window. Here's the stone under some lighting:

and here's the stone in natural light:

What do you guys think ?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's a great daytime color, but that window bothers me. Also, I'd want to see the gem under UV light to get an idea of fluorescence, which is a proxy for how it might perform in low light. The top Burmese spinels are Jedi and highly fluorescent, which photographs as pinkish on camera. I see no pink in this spinel and so am concerned about whether it has good fluorescence.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How does it look outdoor? It looks good indoor. It has a small window.

vik84

Rough_Rock
Stone's gone for certification, will see it in person once AGL verifies origin/no treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being able to see it in person is good. Cut isn't the best but if the colour is average. The saturation looks weak though (colour doesn't pop). Maybe it'll come alive with better lighting in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks more like a garnet than a ruby. I would pass. My test for red family spinels is “does it look like a dark red garnet? If so, pass.”

vik84

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, took your advice and passed on that pear spinel. Picked this 3ct+ Burmese spinel at the Tuscon gem show last week. Stone is out to AGL for certification, what do you all think of this one ?

Whitebox photo:

107926339_48452.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
Congrats!!!

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys, took your advice and passed on that pear spinel. Picked this 3ct+ Burmese spinel at the Tuscon gem show last week. Stone is out to AGL for certification, what do you all think of this one ?

Whitebox photo:

107926339_48452.jpg
Much nicer than the pear!

DK :kiss2:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Now we're talkin'. :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yay, AGL just certified it as Burmese spinel with no treatment ! Will post more photos once I get it back from AGL.
Congrats! Looking forward to the pictures. How are you going to set it? And just out of curiosity, did this run into five figures in price?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Probably in a more classic South Asian ring design with gold and diamonds like this, have a jeweler back home who sets stones for me.

c009725_1_3.jpg

Yeah, the price ran into the lower 5 figures, felt quite reasonable for the quality and Burmese origin.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.