shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Brian Gavin pendant decision

sep004

Rough_Rock
I'm just now seeing other posts about disappointment with BG diamond pendant settings. Recently, I had them reset a 10yo beautiful diamond into a platinum fixed bezel pendant and I'm disappointed with how it came out. I wear a similar Tiffany DBTY in yellow gold often. I've attached some photos of both necklaces and the stock photo on the BG website. My diamond seems to sit too far back in the BG platinum setting compared to the Tiffany and compared to BG's website photo. There's a shadow on the diamond and I'm noticing diminished light return. Also, it doesn't sit properly on my chest (tilts upward). I don't have any of these problems with the Tiffany necklace, which has a smaller and lower quality diamond that is set higher/more forward in its setting. To make matters worse, BG the platinum setting came with a broken clasp. My husband sent the pendant back and BG just contacted him to say that they could reset the diamond but it would be an additional $75 on top of the almost $800 that we've already paid. Should I cut my losses and have someone else set it? They've stated that the setting they made for me is within their normal parameters. I've had numerous pieces made by Whiteflash, Leon Mege, etc. and have a ton of jewelry from Tiffany, Cartier, and VCA. I've never, ever had to have something re-done. Is this normal BG quality? Should I forget the $800 and have someone else just reset the diamond? I really just want it to look like their stock photos. They don't seem to see the issue with the setting per their last email below:

"I have spoken directly with our Production Manager and they have inspected your pendant, and ensured that it was made correctly. As mentioned previously, your diamond was set well within the tolerances of hand made jewelry and we have shipped out many pendants that are set just like yours. The images also represented on our website show the table of the diamond set just below level of the bezel.

Because there is not a way to adjust the bezel after the diamond is set, as a courtesy, we will remake it for you and attempt to set it higher. Although it is a final sale, there will only be another $75 setting fee to do so."

Does anyone have any advice? 00FixedBezelWG1.jpg IMG_4548-1.jpeg IMG_4558.jpeg IMG_4549.jpeg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks too far back in the setting. I am surprised they don't see this. I don't think it's acceptable to charge you to redo it when it sits like that. QC was overlooked imo.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't look right to me either. I wouldn't accept it. And a broken clasp? I'd ask for it to be redone and explain it's a quality control issue. I would not pay another fee.

sep004

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice. I should add that I do think that the bezel itself is nice... smooth and symmetric, but the setting is just too far back for me. They are pretty set on the $75 fee. I'm hesitating to pull the trigger because of how they responded to my disappointment. I expected something like, "Yes, of course. We definitely see what you're talking about and will fix it because we stand behind our work." Honestly, I would've paid a fee just for a response like that and I would send more of my custom projects to them in addition to giving them a great recommendation to friends.

The clasp part is so odd. I also ordered an extender that came with the same clasp but not broken. The clasps on both felt sticky... or gritty. They didn't slide open smoothly. My husband was the one that noticed how off this one was when he was putting it on me. Out of literally thousands of clasps I've used in my life, I've never had something like this. Maybe it's a platinum thing? It's like glue or something got on the clasps and dried. Obviously that couldn't be possible, but that's the only way that I can describe what they felt like.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, there's no way I'd pay a $75 fee. It was done wrong, period. Between that AND the broken clasp I'd escalate this up to someone who you can show these pics to. The QC was sorely lacking, and you shouldn't be charged to fix their mistake. That's ridiculous.

sep004

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm feeling less crazy now. I hate being difficult or confrontational about things. My husband is going to talk with Emily tomorrow. He's even less assertive than I am but he wants me to be happy. This diamond is special (it's the first one he ever bought for me) and the appraisal/specs were much higher than we expected when we recently had it evaluated. I hope that this situation has a happy ending and that I end up loving this piece in the long run.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope that if you escalate this to the right person, it'll get fixed without issue. Sorry that you're struggling with this!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, there's no way I'd pay a $75 fee. It was done wrong, period. Between that AND the broken clasp I'd escalate this up to someone who you can show these pics to. The QC was sorely lacking, and you shouldn't be charged to fix their mistake. That's ridiculous.

This. Exactly this. It is a botched design and obviously a QC hiccup. Any setter worth their salt knows that the crown should rise above the edge of a bezel to let in light, just like in your Tiffany pendant and the example on the BG website. Also, with these floating bezels, the pavilion should not be too exposed or else the pendant will be flopping all over the place. The bezel on your Tiffany pendant is just about perfect in that regard. And of course, the fact that the clasp arrived broken is just icing on the screw-up cake.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they want to charge you $75 to fix THEIR mistake. I wouldn't accept that.

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that seems ridiculous. I wouldn't pay another $75, especially with the broken clasp. That diamond looks so pokey on the skin!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
a diamond pendant without a lobster claw clasp??? Never. Who's idea was THAT? lol.

I do think, though, that a diamond with so much depth, and what looks like a slightly 'shy' crown, may be difficult to seat the way one would like.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d considered sending my stone to them for the same exact setting but after learning of their poor customer service on this, I won’t do business with them. I’m sorry that your necklace didn’t come out right and they are letting you down with their response. Best wishes for a happy resolution!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hold on....I have done numerous custom pieces with BGD for my wife and they have always come out great. I had to send one piece back due to sizing, but it was done exactly and promptly. I have spoken to Brian a few times, he is a perfectionist at his work and wants your 100% satisfaction. I do not know who you are talking to but if you want to get it resolved quickly and properly, call Lesley, no one else!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done business with BGD many times and Lesley is AAA + in my book. :clap:

sep004

Rough_Rock
My husband said that they agreed to remake the piece without the fee! I really hope that it turns out well this time and I can share some good photos here.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good resolution

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yay, good to hear!

sep004

Rough_Rock
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 9.56.28 PM.jpg IMG_4879.jpeg IMG_4882.jpeg

UPDATE!

The first photo is an example from BGD's website. The second two photos are of "take 2" reset. It's not exactly what I wanted... the diamond is still not quite forward enough and the "mickey ears" are now placed so far toward the superior part of the pendant, the diamond really tilts up when I wear it. It looks cheap and the clasps for the pendant and extender are still gritty and tough to open.

I'm going to just deal with it and make this a lesson learned. It's not awful but it's crazy that I for once think that Tiffany quality is better than custom.

Our 10th wedding anniversary is this year and I'm ready for an upgrade... was hoping to get a 3 ct. round or 4 ct. oval and have BGD cut/set. Now, I'm back to Whiteflash and Leon although I'm eyeing Victor Canera's halos. BIG lesson learned with this little "test" pendant for them.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, how disappointing! You gave them a second chance and they STILL got it wrong. I would ask for my money back. So sorry this happened. Really bad quality control on their part.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would ask for my money back too. Unacceptable especially for a remake!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry it turned out that way and it's not right for your still. I guess it's good that it was just a test project. There are some vendors that just are not a good fit.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How disappointing @sep004 I’m sorry this has soured the pleasure you should’ve got from your necklace.

I had a small diamond bezel set as a slider pendant. A few months later, the bolt ring clasp broke, and when I took it back, the clasp was immediately replaced with a lobster claw and an apology. This was a small jeweller, not someone with BG’s reputation. I’m really surprised at their attitude.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did they even remake it? I honestly don't see a difference in this remake. The diamond is still buried in the bezel, and the pavilion is still too exposed, making the pendant top-heavy. I would ask for my money back if I was in your shoes. Unacceptable that they botched it a second time, making almost the EXACT SAME mistakes as the first time.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
but it's crazy that I for once think that Tiffany quality is better than custom.

I wouldn't be so quick to put down Tiffany quality. Are they overpriced? Yes. But the QC on their jewelry pieces is second to none. Their pieces, while simple in design aesthetics, are executed to perfection. There's a reason that they climbed to the top of the designer jewelry ranks. While a large part of their success comes down to brilliant marketing, an equally large part is due to their customer service, after service care, and overall execution of their pieces.

sep004

Rough_Rock
UPDATE (unfortunately, not a good one):

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised to see how much traction this post has gotten since I've been out of town over the weekend. Unfortunately, BGD tried to remake the pendant and we had the same issue. We have asked for a refund, but they refused. Apparently, they do not stand by their work. We have offered to have our diamond removed and send the setting back for a refund or partial refund. We've asked them to consider re-working the setting. They won't do any of this. At this point, I just want a refund and to have the diamond reset by someone else. Instead I'll be eating this >$800 and the cost of having it reset by someone else.

I would caution anyone that's thinking of working with BGD.

sep004

Rough_Rock
This forum has been so helpful to us over the past 12 years. I hate to post about a negative experience, but wish I would've seen the few negative BGD posts before sending this diamond to be reset. I think that posting honestly about experiences will help people in the future.

The reason that they're giving for the diamond not being set higher/more forward is the cut of the diamond. Because it's not one of their "super ideal" BG cuts, they say that they cannot set it higher. It is an excellent cut stone, although not purchased from BG. Interestingly, the cut didn't affect how it was set before by a local jeweler. And I have already spoken to another jeweler that is confident that he can reset it as we all know it should be set. It is a "special" diamond to us and I thought that they could be trusted with that and not be dismissive about the diamond itself. I have a Whiteflash ACA e-ring diamond and can still love a lesser-cut stone. I remember people talking about other jewelers back in the day not wanting to set certain stones... this is the first time I've experienced this sort of thing. BGD is not the place to send a diamond from elsewhere to set or one that's less than ideal, apparently.

Lesley kept telling my husband, "It's just the American way that if something's not right you just want your money back." Um, no, we just want it set like the sample photos or keep the setting and send me my diamond back. The emails that they have been sent... well, PM me if you're seriously considering BGD.

On another note, has anyone considered a credit card dispute in matters like this?

sep004

Rough_Rock
They keep referencing me posting on here. They'll do anything to suppress an honest opinion but fix their mistakes or process a refund.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I'm sorry you went through this. Imho their first and biggest mistake was not telling you they couldn't do exactly what you wanted. It could be the way they male the setting doesnt work with certain stones. It's their job to realize it and tell you what they can/can't do.

The second mistake was not refunding you after you were unhappy with the execution and they knew they couldn't get it exactly how you wanted. Would have been better for them to eat the cost and give you recommendations on another style to try or someone else to set it. I hope you get some resolution. Can't hurt to try talking to your credit card company.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, really upsetting. :cry2: I can't believe that was their response. "It's just the American way", seriously? I would dispute with my CC company so fast their heads would spin. I am really sorry. This is not the first time they have shown poor customer service when there's been a problem.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry you have had this experience. If they don’t want to work with stones purchased elsewhere then that should be their stated policy. It’s really a shame considering they have so many on this forum essentially doing their bidding for them. Participants here who don’t even own a BG diamond recommend them to others who come here for help and maybe the collective “we” should think about this. This isn’t the first I’ve heard and it’s not like they are the most reasonably priced nor have the most workable trade up policy. There are other vendors recommended here who sell super ideals that repeatedly get praise for their incredible service.
I’m so sorry you have had this experience. I hope you can get this resolved at some point that with time all this unpleasantness fades to the background and you can enjoy your beautiful pendant which I’m assuming you will be having your local jeweler reset.
This forum is a helpful place in many ways but “we” are a vehicle for free advertising and sometimes I question that element. I’ve heard the phrase “PS trusted vendor” used frequently here and I just sometimes wonder if it’s prudent to do so. With that said, I don’t want to hurt vendors that have long-standing excellent reputations here. There is someone that comes to mind that was considered highly thought of back when I was on here 16 years ago who is still recommended for his professionalism and integrity and those type of vendors should definitely be held in high regard.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a disappointing outcome, I’d certainly try the CC route, you’ve nothing to lose by doing so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results