shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Blue Topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
So I decided to have the family''s blue topaz (not worth money, but sentimental) set in a pendant for my mom. I contacted 4 jewelers and NONE will set it. Whiteflash said no due to the fact it is a Blue Topaz blah, blah, blah...

Is there any jeweler that will set it?!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s weird. Did they say why they won''t set Blue Topaz?

And do you have any pics?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I posted pics in another forum, I will try to find them---

This is what I was told by Whiteflash:

"Topaz has what is known as ''perfect cleavage'' and will cleave or split along a cleavage plane rather easily."

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Topaz is known for its basal cleavage, but we've all seen blue topaz set into jewelry so that's weird. Blue topaz can be radioactive--don't know if that has anything to do with it, though.

JCK article on irradiated blue topaz

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Is it because it''s an heirloom/older? I will say that I''ve had a blue topaz break when it was set, so I can vouch for it happening, but I''m just really surprised that anyone would refuse you. Strange.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think it is because it wasn''t big business--for any of the jewelers, especially WF- I wanted a simple pendant setting for the necklace (but in 18kt yellow, of good quality). Oh well....

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Were any of the jewelers that you contacted a local bench? I just can''t fathom a local guy turning down even the smallest repair, but I guess I can kinda see if one of our ''net vendors didn''t want to do a minor re-set since it would involve more "work" in the sending/receiving/communication end.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it''s more to do with an insurance angle if the stone were to break while being set? Certainly in the UK, if a jeweller has not supplied the gemstone, his/her insurance could be invalidated. Bearing in mind the replies i.e. perfect cleavage, it does sound like they may be weighing up risk against profit. I guess if Whiteflash (or other jewellers) have set their own Topaz and it breaks then there''s less worry for them than if it''s a customers.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 1:29:04 PM
Author: UCLABelle
Personally, I think it is because it wasn't big business--for any of the jewelers, especially WF- I wanted a simple pendant setting for the necklace (but in 18kt yellow, of good quality). Oh well....
UB, let me reassure you that's not the reason. We happily work on small project for clients; you can see a bunch of them in the SMTR gallery.

Many of you asked if this is a change in policy; it's not. We evaluate each potential project on its individual elements.

In UCLABelle's instance, she has a stone that's delicate and very prone to cleavage and she's asking for a bezel or half-bezel setting, which further amplifies the risk of damage. We'd love her business, but we wouldn't be serving her best interests if we didn't advise her of the potential risks.

Given that it's a family heirloom and irreplaceable, it would be irresponsible for us to accept this project when we advise against it.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Allison- thank you for your response, and defending your decision. Had I asked for it to be set differently, would WF considered it?! Perhaps just a prong mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results