shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with blue sapphire ring

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow sapphire lovers, I recently found a preloved blue sapphire that’s unheated and I like the color (looks cornflowerish?) and price. Does the cert or pics raise any doubts when you see it? Am about to pull the trigger and then some sudden cold feet since the price is still significant.

My thoughts when I saw it...
  • Lovely color (since I don’t like dark sapphires)
  • Unheated and Sri Lanka (yay!)
  • Super bling setting (haha!)
  • Very good price (<$4k including setting)
And some concerns...
  • I think it’s cut too deep, but I can accept it as the pricing is fair. Spread is more like a 3 ct than a nearly 4 ct stone.
  • Some inclusions but I think I probably won’t mind (or can’t see since my eyesight is getting poorer ha!)
  • Is the color saturated enough? I like lighter colors but it cannot be too pale if you get what I mean.
I checked out the cert on AIGS site and it checks out.

F47B17AE-7CB3-4C0B-822C-7C7A12188F8E.jpeg A6B29502-7852-418D-917E-4CC96A9FF579.jpeg 011FABE4-83AE-45BB-8CA4-04841F5C3AD1.jpeg C0601FD0-803F-4692-91F4-12279555C183.jpeg 409CE8DA-9788-44D7-BB92-9FBA92568F85.jpeg 9F3E1020-E82A-4B02-9E33-CACB388EFC98.jpeg 342E7AAC-B851-492C-9D5B-BA230DAEA9EE.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
This doesn't raise doubts for me. It is a lovely color, and AIGS is a reputable lab IMO if they tested FTIR. I think it's true that to get this kind of color, Sri Lanka unheated sapphires have to be cut deeply. They're just not saturated enough naturally without a depper cut. If they were cut in the same proportions as a diamond, they'd probably look like Gemfix or Finewater Gems' paler blue-violet sapphires, IMO. The price is extremely good giving the bling setting and the unheated report.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Such a great colour! & Depth works...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What do you think about this bubble like inclusion?

9E6A3159-FBD0-4139-B2FA-CA587CFCB580.jpeg 30C6983B-1416-4ADE-8E86-0BA7B9EA7EC0.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't notice it unless I was using magnification to take pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the return policy if it’s not as depicted?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Not sure what the detail is - possible a chip reflecting; I would need to see at 1X to judge if there is anything to overlook at all.

Dream periwinkle blue. If true.

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks super promising. The spread is quite good for the weight. The colour looks perfect, and the bubbles wouldnt bother me if they were beneath the surface (which they seem to be).

It is a shame they did not give you a dead on image on the back of someone's hand. Then you could have had a colour reference in the frame, and also a image of what the stone looked like when looking straight down through the table.

Is it possible to check AIGS gem reports through an app or an online repository? And what are the returns like?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This doesn't raise doubts for me. It is a lovely color, and AIGS is a reputable lab IMO if they tested FTIR. I think it's true that to get this kind of color, Sri Lanka unheated sapphires have to be cut deeply. They're just not saturated enough naturally without a depper cut. If they were cut in the same proportions as a diamond, they'd probably look like Gemfix or Finewater Gems' paler blue-violet sapphires, IMO. The price is extremely good giving the bling setting and the unheated report.

Ah, didn’t think about the impact of depth vs color and this makes sense! I just thought “ah ok if no window”...

Yes the price is very attractive. For the same price I could find a nice heated quite easily but this looks really lovely to me.

I think this seems like a solid deal!

I know right? But the still sane part of me is like... is there a catch that I’m totally missing?? Better post on PS and ask hahaha

Such a great colour! & Depth works...

I love the color! Was comparing against these colors...

5EE75317-416D-49FA-979E-18CB45DBBDBC.jpeg FD3C03D4-4E03-4C89-AF18-6782B26A6C78.jpeg 35048A27-E11B-4AF6-A070-94785BFD1C00.jpeg
C0601FD0-803F-4692-91F4-12279555C183.jpeg

Hmm

voce

Ideal_Rock
Lotus cornflower color is deeper than actual flower cornflower color. Don't worry about it too much. What matters is whether you like the color.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me the setting with all those diamonds would be of significant value. I use $1,000 per carat as a good rule of thumb for pre-loved settings with small diamonds. Of course the setting is only of value if you love both it and the stone, but if you do, it helps figure out how good is the overall deal.

That sapphire looks really good!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't notice it unless I was using magnification to take pictures.

I’m starting to have presbyopia so I’m thinking in another 5 years maybe inclusions really wouldn’t matter so much any more

What is the return policy if it’s not as depicted?

It’s from an overseas store and I’ll need to go through a third party so I think it’s as good a no return?

Not sure what the detail is - possible a chip reflecting; I would need to see at 1X to judge if there is anything to overlook at all.

Dream periwinkle blue. If true.

I’m assuming it’s a bubble inclusion... so if it’s a chip then good if not then I’m prepared for it.

It looks super promising. The spread is quite good for the weight. The colour looks perfect, and the bubbles wouldnt bother me if they were beneath the surface (which they seem to be).

It is a shame they did not give you a dead on image on the back of someone's hand. Then you could have had a colour reference in the frame, and also a image of what the stone looked like when looking straight down through the table.

Is it possible to check AIGS gem reports through an app or an online repository? And what are the returns like?

I’ll go and check the AIGS report again...

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gosh!!!! What a beautiful outstanding display by all the lovely ladies on here! What beautiful collections I can’t stop drooling over each and every one, this has made my day!!!:appl::D:D Thanks for sharing!!

Do you find spinels to be a less risky challenge?

I’m starting to have presbyopia so I’m thinking in another 5 years maybe inclusions really wouldn’t matter so much any more

It’s from an overseas store and I’ll need to go through a third party so I think it’s as good a no return?

I’m assuming it’s a bubble inclusion... so if it’s a chip then good if not then I’m prepared for it.

I’ll go and check the AIGS report again...

Yes as there have been fake reports circulating recently.

I think this thread deals with it and how to check legitamacy

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fake-lab-reports-aigs-sent-emails-yall.242190/

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lotus cornflower color is deeper than actual flower cornflower color. Don't worry about it too much. What matters is whether you like the color.

Previously saw a heated sapphire that I really like...

7B63430F-77A0-4F04-BFEF-C8AFE993B037.png 981D97FA-1AC7-49C3-A2CA-52F6EC760A46.png

Not sure what color that is. I’ve seen certified royal blues and I know I don’t like sapphires that dark. The lighting was pretty horrid when I took the pics and the sapphire never went black.

To me the setting with all those diamonds would be of significant value. I use $1,000 per carat as a good rule of thumb for pre-loved settings with small diamonds. Of course the setting is only of value if you love both it and the stone, but if you do, it helps figure out how good is the overall deal.

That sapphire looks really good!

Ok this is so embarrassing... I went back to the site to check the setting and realized it’s not a preloved ring but brand new. Heh. Which means it is a total steal if the color is fairly accurate right?

Setting is 1.26ct in platinum. I do like the setting so overall is a steal imho.

Yes as there have been fake reports circulating recently.

I think this thread deals with it and how to check legitamacy

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fake-lab-reports-aigs-sent-emails-yall.242190/

Ok checked 3 times and it checked out.

This is the image online:
A8C2027E-8969-4B9B-955A-98F6C1AB0458.jpeg

It looks a bit lighter?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like a bargin in that case.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Gemstones do tend to get darker after they're set, at least most colored stones.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Will they send you video or hand shots? That may help you decide and avoid any unnecessary return issues. Seems like a steal compared to what I paid for mine and I thought I got a bargain. LOL. Can't wait to see hand shots if you get it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that color blue. If the return policy is good I would get it to see it in person. Price seems good and the color dreamy and if the inclusion isn't causing any issues and doesn't bother you it's worth a look in person to see what you think of it up close and personal.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Everything sounds right so far. Your references are what I would also keep in mind. I am not put off (far from it) by somewhat steely / gray / cold light blue sapphire, but sure do understand that there is more of those in the world than flower-like lighter blue. I hope this is one of the letter.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok! Threw the description into google translate and this is what I got...

“A bright blue with no turbidity that it may be called cornflower blue if it is a little darker while it is still born color that has not been hand-painted by people!” o_O

Erm... translation issue aside, what I gather is that it isn’t dark enough to be cornflower. So I guess it’s something between pastel and cornflower in the Lotus charts.

Hmm. Think a bit more while I see if the seller will respond to my request for finger pics.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks like a bargin in that case.

Do you still think it’s a bargain if the color is more pastel?

Gemstones do tend to get darker after they're set, at least most colored stones.

Am now wondering if the color is in between the AIGS color and the vendor pic...

Will they send you video or hand shots? That may help you decide and avoid any unnecessary return issues. Seems like a steal compared to what I paid for mine and I thought I got a bargain. LOL. Can't wait to see hand shots if you get it!

I’ve asked for a hand shot since return is highly unlikely...

Yours is a beautiful blue color and beautifully cut (this is native and a little wonky) and one whole carat bigger! I think prices jump quite a bit with every carat jump and the deeper color adds to the price too. So really can’t compare :)

Love that color blue. If the return policy is good I would get it to see it in person. Price seems good and the color dreamy and if the inclusion isn't causing any issues and doesn't bother you it's worth a look in person to see what you think of it up close and personal.

Ah problem really is with returns... argh. Sleep over it for another night.

Everything sounds right so far. Your references are what I would also keep in mind. I am not put off (far from it) by somewhat steely / gray / cold light blue sapphire, but sure do understand that there is more of those in the world than flower-like lighter blue. I hope this is one of the letter.

Fingers crossed... I must say the color really jumped at me out of all the certified royal blues etc that I saw.

And I remember that I saw a cornflower recently. Here is a 7 carat GRS certified unheated cornflower blue I saw at my jeweller a few weeks ago. I can’t rem the price as it’s some traumatic 5 digit pricing.

CB8E0650-7105-41E4-A87E-EB1ED68C3AD7.jpeg

Looks rather dark doesn’t it? Is probably better under normal lighting as it’s under orangey lighting which I always think doesn’t help blue/cool toned gems. Didn’t dare to take it out of the store though so I don’t have other pics.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok did this while thinking over the color

Top pics are from the Lotus chart. Bottom left is the AIGS cert pic and then the vendor pic.
CF491ED7-E40F-4A23-9738-1D462193322D.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this ring knock your socks off? It’s only a deal if it really does something for you.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you still think it’s a bargain if the color is more pastel?

Am now wondering if the color is in between the AIGS color and the vendor...

Even if it is pastel coloured I think it is a good price, as the setting is worth 1 k (given it is platinum and has 1.26 cts of daimonds it would be hard to reconstruct it for less) and this means you are paying less than 1 k per ct for a very large unheated sapphire with a nice blue colour. However my 2c would be that if you are this reticent then it may not be the stone for you -- something else will come along, although it may not be quite as cheap (on the flip side the current low price tag is coming with risks you dont feel 100% comfortable with and I 100% understand this as I would be feeling edgy too.). Try to get them to give you a photo looking straight down through the tabel on the back of someone's hand. This will give you a colour reference (you can look at the hand to try to come to grips with whether the photo is flooded with bright light). And also let you get a better feeling for the cut.

Your jewelers big sapphire was always going to be 5 figures, you now have me curious about how high the 5 figure sum is though :lol:. But it looks overly dark to me.

The smaller heated sapphire in the 'iorn throne' style setting is pretty. I like it a lot, but it is a shame it is heated. As I dont know what equipment the nanyang gem lab has for differentiating between heated and diffused sapphires. Still it might be worth asking if you can return it if it ever tests as anything other than heat only and then seriously considering purchasing.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I think at that price you can’t go wrong - it’s beautiful, large and unheated, set - all of this for less than 4k...what else do you want? Don’t compare color types with vendor pictures - different lighting conditions, cameras, etc...do you like the color? It’s not dark and to me it doesn look pastel at all.

With all the premises I think it’s worth the risk. Good luck!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Does this ring knock your socks off? It’s only a deal if it really does something for you.

It’s the only unheated one that made my heart skip a beat (and is reasonably priced) out of hundreds I’ve seen online. Even now when I see the pics I’m like... oooh pretty rock... So I would say yeah.

Even if it is pastel coloured I think it is a good price, as the setting is worth 1 k (given it is platinum and has 1.26 cts of daimonds it would be hard to reconstruct it for less) and this means you are paying less than 1 k per ct for a very large unheated sapphire with a nice blue colour. However my 2c would be that if you are this reticent then it may not be the stone for you -- something else will come along, although it may not be quite as cheap (on the flip side the current low price tag is coming with risks you dont feel 100% comfortable with and I 100% understand this as I would be feeling edgy too.). Try to get them to give you a photo looking straight down through the tabel on the back of someone's hand. This will give you a colour reference (you can look at the hand to try to come to grips with whether the photo is flooded with bright light). And also let you get a better feeling for the cut.

Your jewelers big sapphire was always going to be 5 figures, you now have me curious about how high the 5 figure sum is though :lol:. But it looks overly dark to me.

The smaller heated sapphire in the 'iorn throne' style setting is pretty. I like it a lot, but it is a shame it is heated. As I dont know what equipment the nanyang gem lab has for differentiating between heated and diffused sapphires. Still it might be worth asking if you can return it if it ever tests as anything other than heat only and then seriously considering purchasing.

I love the heated sapphire but I hate the setting and I’ll much rather get an unheated stone.

Think Nanyang can check for BE diffused but unsure how.

Most of my doubt is due to inability to return and simply buying online. I much much prefer buying in person. Really no comparison. I’ve been buying gems for years and still haven’t improved much in terms of judging and buying gems online.

It does look dark to me but it got the coveted cornflower blue label from a good lab so who knows. I’ve seen so few cornflowers in the hundreds of blue sapphires that have appeared in the local gem shows over the years. So still unsure how exactly cornflower blue should look. :lol: It’s prob like 20-30k SGD. Can’t recall exactly.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok this is so embarrassing... I went back to the site to check the setting and realized it’s not a preloved ring but brand new. Heh. Which means it is a total steal if the color is fairly accurate right?

Setting is 1.26ct in platinum. I do like the setting so overall is a steal imho.
Actually this being a brand new piece makes me much more suspicious. In my experience great deals are most often found with pre-loved pieces. Why would anyone sell a brand new piece for such a low price? I wonder if the real color is even lighter than the photos?

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just couldn’t take a risk like that without a solid return policy. Usually if a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is. If I’ve never dealt with a certain vendor before, I usually test them out by making tiny purchases. I just couldn’t spend the money on something like that with a vendor that I don’t know well.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s the only unheated one that made my heart skip a beat (and is reasonably priced) out of hundreds I’ve seen online. Even now when I see the pics I’m like... oooh pretty rock... So I would say yeah.

I love the heated sapphire but I hate the setting and I’ll much rather get an unheated stone.

Think Nanyang can check for BE diffused but unsure how.

Most of my doubt is due to inability to return and simply buying online. I much much prefer buying in person. Really no comparison. I’ve been buying gems for years and still haven’t improved much in terms of judging and buying gems online.

It does look dark to me but it got the coveted cornflower blue label from a good lab so who knows. I’ve seen so few cornflowers in the hundreds of blue sapphires that have appeared in the local gem shows over the years. So still unsure how exactly cornflower blue should look. :lol: It’s prob like 20-30k SGD. Can’t recall exactly.

Yes the setting is atrocious isn't it!

As I understand it, testing for BE diffusion can require expensive equipment and most smaller labs just don't have it. Even with some of the bigger labs like AIGS, I am not sure all locations have it. I haven't asked the right questions to determine if Nanyang has the equipment (for something like a LIBS test) -- so I actually just don't know.

Sapphires can shift so much under different lighting, and there is no way for you to anticipate the actual lighting in the photos you are looking at online -- there isn't even anything in the frame you can use to improvise a guess. And I assume the 7+ ct. must have received the cornflower designation because it is a different colour in whatever lighting the lab uses for grading stones -- wow it is show stopping-ly big, bit that is a show stopping pricetag as well!

I think the mixed responses you are getting are because no one can make an informed judgement, so you are currently surveying people's risk tolerance -- the price is very good, it looks great but it carries some risk due to the essentially no feasible way to return it if you don't like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results