shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Birthday present

rainemoo

Rough_Rock
...namely from me TO me LOL (sorry, rather long)

I'm turning 30 next month. Normally I'd throw a big party for myself (did so at 18, 19, 21 and 25), but my family convinced me to use my money to buy myself something that will last more than a few hours.

So I got the idea of getting a ring created with 30 1pt diamonds and decided to quote a few vendors. My budget was between $1200-$1500 (I didn't give them this amount though). This is what I gave them to work with:

- 6.75 size RHR with 30 1pt diamonds random scattered/clustered all the way around. Think ala Michael E Lace meets Etoile
- rose gold: don't know what type of finish...I'm leaning towards brushed?
- "surprise" ruby embedded in the shank (I don't like my birthstone very much, but I thought it'd be a fun little detail)

So far I got:

Vendor #1: 2.5-3mm width ring with random pattern 3-5stone or 3-7stone clusters all the way around, melee of F/G VS= $1325
-pros: can do clusters/ruby, super easy to work with so far. Band's thinner, which allows for diamonds to be closer together (more blingy?). Has a definite "up" side
-cons: ignored some of my questions (request to check if the gold was 14K vs 18K, for example, I want the pinker rose gold look). Afraid that if I can't get them to address it now, I can't address it once we start CAD. Band could be mistaken as a wedding ring? Would clusters even LOOK good? LOL
Vendor #2: 5 mm width ring, no clusters, no ruby, melee F/G VS= $1450
-pros: best correspondent so far. Very thorough with managing expectations of what they can and can't do. 5mm will look good as a RHR size. Doesn't matter how the ring is orientated.
-cons: they can't do the clusters because apparently they need to use larger diamonds. And I'm insistent on 30 1pts. No ruby, but I never asked them for it. Highest quote.
Vendor #3: 4 mm width ring, melee G/H SI1 or better $975
-pros: Fastest response yet. Relatively local to me (love supporting local, small businesses). Cheapest quote
-cons: only a scatter. Melee not as good as first two vendors.
Vendor #4: 4 or 5 mm width ring, melee G/H SI1 or better $1125
- pros: great communicators. Etsy jeweler that several people have worked with before.
- cons: don't know if this would be in their "normal" scope. only a scatter. Melee not as good as first two vendors.
Vendor #5: Pricing and specs TBD...but melee will also be G/H SI1

I don't know if at that small, the quality of the melee matters a whole lot, but I definitely don't want to overpay if I get the same results with G/H SI1. At this point in time, I'm leaning towards Vendor 1.

But I'm also having second thoughts about my idea LOL. I don't know if it's nerves or what (my husband just recently joined the workforce after 2.5 years of not being employed and I'm still in breadwinner mode...and I have problems personally spending over $1000 at one time on myself as a result. $999, no prob! LOL). It all sounds good in my head, but what if my idea is actually really ugly? LOL

I could go the safe routes (a few ideas: an ideal .30 stone set in a bezel, .60 TCW earrings, trinity ring, 3 row eternity, etc.)...but I want to be different because I'm just that type of person. LOL

Any and all suggestions, thoughts, comments are appreciated. Thanks!

jess719

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the highest priced vendor is one of the ones we recommend on here regularly for CAD: WF, BGD, ERD. I would go with them. But I would talk to them about the significance of 30 points.

rainemoo

Rough_Rock
The top two quotes come from WF and BGD. I didn't know ERD did custom bands too; should I quote them as well? LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results