shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with August Vintage Cushion/Setting

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
It's a P. The ginger ale tint from the side view will show up in all lighting environments. And that's okay, that is its nature as a stone. Same goes for the M.

I'm sure GOG can make more videos for you to show the stones in different lighting environments. It's going to be beautiful in a yellow gold setting, but the warm color will be emphasized by the yellow gold. That's a certainty.

(Did someone buy the P? It's not available anymore on the website.)

hooty

Rough_Rock
I've actually got the P on hold. Not necessarily because it is my top choice, but more so because it happens to be the most budget friendly among those that I'm looking at and has been the one I have been considering the longest. If somebody wanted to purchase it while I'm hemming and hawing I would definitely allow them that opportunity.

Are there varying opinions on the effect that yellow gold has on warmer diamonds? Because I have read both that yellow gold plays up the warmth of it and that it helps to mask it by allowing the warm stone to look whiter against the yellow setting. I have certainly seen a number of examples of people using yellow gold as a tool to emphasize the warmth, either with a yellow gold bezel or like in the Diamonds by Lauren halo you linked above. But if you take a look about 3/4 of the way down on page 7 of the other page you linked above, you'll notice that Harpertoo shows her 2.25P in what appears to be yellow gold. I don't think that plays up the warmth at all, though obviously there isn't a side view. What do you think?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-7']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-avc-avoec-diamonds.123446/page-7[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass is a great option for a setting, and he can make a setting very similar to the Tacori 2620. I cannot emphasize enough how important a halo is to a lower colored stone. Plus, cushions face up small. You NEED to do a halo. So please budget for the right setting even if it means going with a slightly smaller stone. I would insist on 100% eyeclean from the top in a halo. I think that would mean VS2 for me, but be sure any SI stone is 100% clean even from 6 in.

I am going to try and show you some of David's halos.

hooty

Rough_Rock
ds - why do you feel that a warmer stone needs a halo? I was originally thinking halo with something along the lines of the 2620, but kind of changed course after a chat with my gf. I am open to considering a halo again, but it honestly would have to be incredibly delicate, not square in shape (the actual halo, that is) and antique style with engraving all in one.

I changed modes and started to shift away from halos a little bit when my gf gave me 3-4 examples of setting styles she liked and all of them were solitaires. But something like the 2620 with the more delicate/discrete halo could possibly work.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I think the halo suggestion is for a platinum halo, which can look very beautiful with a warmer colored AVC. More white reflections for the center stone. Tried and true method for setting AVC's. See various threads.

Not a yellow gold halo, which is certain to get you nearer faint yellow diamond territory (with the P anyway).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone needs a little frame. I think the size is small and a very thin halo will give a little extra size as well as enhancing the facet pattern of the stone. I don't really love a low colored cushion without a halo. Most of the ones I have seen were done in platinum, but you certainly can use yg if that is her favorite metal. I can't find the DK example I was thinking of.

But since you are dealing with GOG, Beverley K would be an excellent option for you. They make delicate halo settings with milgrain and engraving. In fact, Jonathan's wife has a lower colored AVC in a platinum BK setting. I might have a picture of it. I need to look at BK settings and will be back!

hooty

Rough_Rock
Thanks, diamondseeker! Yellow gold is definitely a must have for the setting. I checked out a number of Bev K halos when I was still in the halo mode, but most of them don't seem to fit what I would be looking for in a halo. They all seemed to make the face up view a bit too squarish. I think if I were to do a halo it would definitely have to be quite similar to the 2620 with how it sort of forms a slightly rounded halo and how the halo is much more....gentle I guess the term would be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They can make the halo fit the stone. But you probably should speak to DK about something similar to the 2620 since you know you like that. I do, too!

This is a large M or N color AVC in a halo. I am just showing you that a halo just frames the stone. A 1 ct AVC is going to face up small. It will just look better with a tiny halo.

_30371.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wouldn't go to P color unless you want them to try to make it look yellow by putting a cup under it.

hooty

Rough_Rock
Thanks, all. I will take all of this into serious consideration. Maybe the P isn't the best choice for an antique-style engagement ring, at least without viewing in person. I think if I decide to go that route, I may purchase the diamond and have it shipped so that I can see the warmth with my own eyes prior to having anything set. Does anybody have knowledge on naturals/extra facets in an AVC? To be honest, I LOVE how the pastels combine with the soft white color of the various Ms that I have seen on here. I know it is still of the warm variety, but I am a lot more comfortable with M than P

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having seen an L and M, I feel like those would be the lowest I'd go for a project like this. When you get much lower, you are looking at light yellow stones that need the yellow enhanced (or sometimes like brown). I'd love to have a W-X AVC and have a yellow cup and bezel in a platinum halo to have a light yellow diamond. But other than that, I'd want the diamond to look bright and more white set in a yellow gold setting.

Here is a good thread with a J AVC in a halo. So you can kind of imagine a couple of color grades lower:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-avc-daisy-ring-and-6-stone-band.180579/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-avc-daisy-ring-and-6-stone-band.180579/[/URL]

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
ccuheartnurse|1432041828|3878442 said:
If you go with a K stone, I would use a white metal head & if your girlfriend likes yellow gold, do the shank in yellow. Would be a pretty look.

+ 1.

My setting has a white metal head and a yellow shank. The M looked awesome in it. The only comps I remember are the J and the W-X. The J I did not like. It's just too borderline for me; I'd rather go colorless or something more obviously tinted. But it wasn't bad, it just is not my preference. The W-X looked great in the setting but did not work as well with my skin tone as the M. As others pointed out, the white metal head will not enhance the color, which is good for your purpose, yet the stone color still shows enough to look great with the yellow gold shank.

hooty

Rough_Rock
I love that W-X! I gave it serious consideration for a day before deciding I simply couldn't go THAT warm without the go-ahead from my gf. Somebody in the market for something in the light yellow range will be very happy with it though I think.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hooty - have you seen these stones in person? Has your girlfriend expressed an interest in stones this warm?

My preference at this point would be definitely for a K colored stone. I love warm stones - but for my money, they have to be warm enough to look light yellow, or slightly golden, and then I want to set them in gold to heighten the look. otherwise, a K is definitely as low as I'd go - and a K would definitely look 'creamy'.

I totally agree with the ladies who suggested a yellow gold shank with a white gold head and the K colored stone. Or a yellow band, a yellow bezeled head and still the K colored stone. That would be a very pretty combination and a much safer combination - without sacrificing size or cut or any other detail. I think you're taking a risk with the stones you're considering and, for what it's worth - and this is speaking individually - I don't think it will be as visually pleasing as an engagement ring.

Is it possible that you've been looking at these stones so much that you might have lost perspective? If that's even a remote possibility, you should consider bringing your girlfriend in on this; to her, a creamy looking stone might be a J, to you it might be an N. If you aren't looking for the ring to look light yellow - and you said you aren't - then N and O and P colored stones are a looooong way down the color chart, and you might end up with something far warmer than you're anticipating. I'm concerned that this lovely, soft, creamy ring you're envisioning might, to your girlfriend look muddy or simply drab/discolored.

I've seen dozens and dozens of AVC's in the flesh, and I love them super-warm. BUT - they have a LOT of color at that point, and I'd never just describe them as 'creamy'.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
When I think of a vintage engagement ring, I think Edwardian and milgrain and filigree, and I also think platinum. Not yellow gold. If a vintage look is what you're going for I think platinum should be reconsidered.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Did you decide on platinum or yellow gold? There is an empty platinum Tacori 2620 setting on consignment at GOG that may work for your budget.

hooty

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I have made the plunge and decided to go with the 1.23K!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-23ct-k-vs2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

Thank you so very much to everyone on here who weighed in with thoughts and advice.

As for the setting....still a work in progress. My budget is a bit smaller than I had anticipated due to the cost of the stone.

I do believe yellow gold, or maybe a darker/not pink rose gold is still a requirement.

I think I need to take a day or two and review what sort of options are out there in my price range.

Thanks again to everyone!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hooty -

Congratulations! I think your choice is excellent and will make a gorgeous engagement ring.

Looking forward to seeing what setting you eventually choose!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am extremely glad to hear you chose a K! I think that is far safer for an engagement ring than any lower colors. I wish the link worked because I'd like to see it!

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! AVC's are so gorgeous.

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
:appl: Sounds like a good color and size!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe GOG can come up with some other halo options for you. However, if you can work out a way to swing the 2620, I think it would be worth it in the long run.

hooty

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words! In the end, I felt the K was the safest and would give me the best combination of a slightly antique white look but without going too extreme. The extra size was a nice kicker!

I can't say enough about how appreciative I am of the time that David and Stephanie dedicated to helping me out, and still are. It is probably the single best online purchase experience I have ever had by a long ways. The customer service at Good Old Gold is unparallelled as far as I am concerned.

diamondseeker - give this link a try if you are interested in taking a look. maybe this one will work.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-23ct-k-vs2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

If not, here is this (I hope linking videos on here is ok):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35Akh9xEJM&feature=youtu.be

As for the 2620...I don't think there is any way of getting around the cost, and I guess I'm not sure if halo is even what I want to go with anymore all things being equal. The quotes I have received for the version that fits my stone are probably 2-2.5k above where I want to be.

I think I would really prefer a delicate solitaire with some bright cut pave and milgrain down the side and possibly some antique detailing in the basket area or hand engraving along the other sides of the shank. I'm going to try and work with Good Old Gold to create something along these lines but I'm definitely not ruling anything out.

So thanks again to all of you for making this site such a valuable resource for guys like me. Without the knowledge here I doubt I would've ever been connected with the good people at GOG.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made the right choice even though it was the more expensive option - there is no way at all you could make a P stone look Antique white, they simply do not face up like that, the K will however look exactly how you want it to - I owned a .99 K AVC and it faced up what I would call an off white so I think you will both be really happy with it!!!!

I totally agree with DS - get a quote to do a Tacori like halo from David Klass he will be way cheaper and he will do a nice job of it... The LM setting you like on the first page is designed for a much larger stone so I'd stay away from that idea. Again David could probably do a more budget friendly copy of the sculpted Crescent tacori ring you linked. But either a halo or a really really simple solitaire setting would be my first choices.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful AVC! You made an excellent choice!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
The stone is absolutely gorgeous! You will not regret choosing such a lovely option. I can't wait to see the finished ring. :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results