shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with asschers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sprkle

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are getting engaged and we are completely new to this and would like some advice in choosing a diamond. My girlfriend has her heart set on something unusual and seems to like geometry of the asscher cut the best. However, we''ve visited many places and only two (so far) had asschers. One of them looked spidery and glassy, whereas the other one looked brilliant and had precise steps. Neither was in the size/color we are looking for, but this made us very nervous because they were so different. So can someone be so kind as to provide some advice in what to look for? And it seems like for something this we can''t risk buying it online. Would you all agree, or can we buy something as unique as this without seeing it in person? It seems that unless you get a trademarked cut (e.g. royal asscher) then the "asscher" style can really mean anything.

Using the pricescope diamond search it seems that for around 12k we could get a 1.25 D/IF ex/ex, but that seems too good to be true. So what''s the best way to find a nice asscher and see it in person?

Ideally we are looking for something:
1 - 1.5
D - F
IF - VS2
< $15k

Any help would be most appreciated!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can continue to shop in stores to see diamonds OR you can find diamonds on the Internet and have them sent to you or to an appraiser of your choice, near enough for you to go and examine them in person while the appraiser has them in their possession. We often have consumers come into our office for a look at potentially good diamonds. We can screen out first and assist them with advice before they waste postage, too. Its all part of the service appraisers may choose to provide.

With a $12K budget, you''ll have no problem is getting a great diamond that suits you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the advice dave put forth was good. i would add that a good asscher (as you have found) exhibits a pleasing pattern. if you are interested in a diamond that is online, make sure that you get a picture of it before you put too much effort into it. the best way to work with online vendors is to find someone you are comfortable with and let them do the searching for you.
it may take some time, but i''m sure you will find exactly what you are looking for.
best of luck!

sprkle

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

That''s helpful advice. The pics we see online look very similar. Is there anything we should look for in the numbers that would indicate a better Asscher over others? If we can narrow it down before we ask stores to mail potentials to us, we''ll be able to save everyone some time in the long run. We''re still not sure what it was about the cut that made it more brilliant and geometrically more interesting. The only thing is that the spidery one had dark black windmills whereas the other felt crisper with even steps.

We''re new to this so thanks again for all the help. I think we''re getting closer!

Cheers!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2006 2:17:41 AM
Author: sprkle
Hi All,

That's helpful advice. The pics we see online look very similar. Is there anything we should look for in the numbers that would indicate a better Asscher over others? If we can narrow it down before we ask stores to mail potentials to us, we'll be able to save everyone some time in the long run. We're still not sure what it was about the cut that made it more brilliant and geometrically more interesting. The only thing is that the spidery one had dark black windmills whereas the other felt crisper with even steps.

We're new to this so thanks again for all the help. I think we're getting closer!

Cheers!
hi any post by storm advising on asscher specs is your best bet HOWEVER I would like to point out something to you that may or may not matter: the best asschers, even Royal Asschers, are deep stones (deeper than a comparably cut round for example) with higher tables. They look extremely small for their weight and you should be prepared that a 1carat asscher is going to look quite small compared to a comparable round. For example: you almost need a 2 carat asscher to look like a 1carat stone. This is my opinion and I am not an asscher expert but I decided against this cut for this reason in my lengthy search. I would suggest you decide that this doesnt matter to either of you and if you realize it does not matter then terrific but if you decide otherwise then you can take a classic round or any other shape and get your unusual/special factor out of your setting.................alot of pricescopers are into unique............doesnt have to be the stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results