shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an uncerted stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking about an uncerted stone from a very respected PS vendor. The only info is the carat weight, color and clarity. The stone is preset in a setting which is not exactly to my liking, but it may have to stay that way until I decide on a new setting. I would like to have the stone/ring appraised locally at which time I would like to view the stone/ring. Will vendors send the item out for appraisal before purchase? Especially since its uncerted? Or will I have to pay for the ring and appraisal and a restocking fee if I am not in love?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as the stone is set, you would have to ask them, for a detailed appraisal the diamond needs to be unmounted usually, so you will have to check very carefully with the vendor as to if he is happy for the diamond to be removed from the setting in any case, or if so, whether he would be prepared to remove the diamond from the ring himself and send, or if he would allow the appraiser to do it etc. Best to check with them directly as there are many things to be taken into account. Did you particularly want an ungraded diamond? It might be easier to choose a graded loose diamond, especially as you might not want the setting this diamond comes in? You might want to check very carefully regarding any potential restocking fee, best not to speculate, but get the facts from the vendor...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Talk to the vendor. They don’t all have the same policies. Most are happy to cooperate with local appraisers although there are generally some limits no the amount of time you have to do this. Usually in this situation, they don’t own the ring and consequently don’t have the right to take the stone out to be properly graded. Many, in fact most, appraisers are very experienced at grading stones mounted and do this far more frequently than unmounted. Call up your chosen appraiser and ask them what sorts of things they can tell you about a mounted stone. If you have specific tests or information that interests you, ask about it. Some appraisers are much more thorough than others.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an appraiser who you trust? There are several extremely reputable ones who post here. Ask about the restocking fee. As far as the appraisal goes, it''s money well spent. If the stone is not what you expected, better to find out sooner, rather than later. If the stone is exactly what you expected (or better) you can feel confident that you got a good deal.

Based on what you are saying though, it sounds like it had better be a great deal because you don''t really like the setting.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice!

I am not set on an uncerted stone, but this an exceptional deal partly because the stone is not the most popular of shapes and the setting could be placed in the thread "the good, the bad and the ugly....post ugly here". I am buying the ring for the center stone alone. The vendor stated that the stone has an excellent cut and will guarantee the stated grades. As long as the stone has a decent amount of fire and brilliance it is an exceptional deal (about 1/2 the price of comparable stones I pricescoped). Also, this is not for an Ering and I am not interested in upgrading this particular project in the future. I have not talked to the vendor yet, but I believe the ring is either on consignment or was traded in. I will call to the vendor tomorrow and get the specifics.

I am glad to hear that most appraisals are done set. I just would like the opportunity to see the the stone, view the inclusions, and see how sparkly it is, so if I don''t love it I could have it sent back within the return period. I would never usually even consider an uncerted stone, but the reputation of the vendor and the price are all too tempting.

I would have to have the ring shipped across the country to Houston so I could see it and have it appraised. I don''t have an appraiser, so I would appreciate any recommendations on one in the Houston area.

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results