shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an electric blue topaz

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After following along with the post, by Acinom, about the gorgeous family of natural blue topaz, I just had to contact Doug Menadue (from Bespoke Gems).

Here's the link to that gorgeous family of stones: :love:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhapsody-in-bespoke-gems-blues.213660/

I am leaning towards the electric blue topaz (I just can't get over the color). I know it's enhanced but I'm ok with that.

Here's a pic of the rough, I fell in love with.
4_93.jpg

And a pic of a faceted stone, in the same color.
2_221.jpg

I'm planning on having a ring made with my (soon to be) new stone. I'm thinking about maybe an 8x10 or 9x11 oval. Does anyone have pics of these sizes, on their hand?

I could use some advice on which cutting design I should get. This would be my first attempt at getting a stone cut, from rough, and I'm not familiar with the process. Doug sent me this link for oval cuts:
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Designs_Ovals.php

I am very excited to start this process and I'm looking forward to everyone's input.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yay, more people being obsessed with electric blue topaz! :wavey:

I felt similarly, and also have a stone being cut by Doug. I chose a round cut (since that was the best shape for the rough he had when I got in touch with him). Doug was super patient with my million questions while I was choosing which round cut I wanted, and I felt similarly to you in that it was hard to decide on one just based on the photos from his site alone. But I would definitely ask him as many questions as you want, since he is really understanding and helpful to work with :bigsmile: I ended up choosing the antique round shape, but spent a bunch of time drooling over all of his gorgeous cuts.

For what it's worth, I love the shape of the Supernova cut from his site, and also his Under the Dome (probably because I like the high crown).

Good luck with the process, and keep us posted! hopefully more experience PSers can chime in with thoughts, pictures, etc.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google diamond database. Ot ll help you image finger sizes and ring sizes

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Elle! :wavey:
So glad that you are inspired by the 'Bespoke Gems Blues' thread. Like you and lovedogs, I love electric blue topaz as well. Great choice!!!
As you might have written in the thread, Pyramid and DK had a supernova oval cut. Pyramid also has the Omni.

The design you will choose is a very personal choice. First of all it's good to determine whether you like a modern look or a more chubby vintage look. After that, I would ask Doug for advice. He mostly has strong ideas about the cut.

Do you already have a setting in mind? Some cuts have a relatively large depth, so it's good to keep that in mind: not every design works with a specific ring setting.

Happy searching and contemplating. And please keep us updated in what Doug says.

_33183.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs: yay!!! More info please :naughty:
Looking forward to see yours. We should start an electric blue thread. Mine is a round from Doug as well.

You are on a true blue mission!! I like :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1439315545|3913383 said:
lovedogs: yay!!! More info please :naughty:
Looking forward to see yours. We should start an electric blue thread. Mine is a round from Doug as well.

You are on a true blue mission!! I like :love:

gah! you are right, I forgot to add the round electric topaz to my list of my buying spree :) Oops! I chose the antique 1910 cut, and I ordered it a little while ago, but cutting from rough always takes a bit. I'm excited to get that one as well! It will be a unique blue, since nothing else I ordered is that electric color.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to forget the beautiful rings my stones are set in. I am in UK and asked Doug if he knew of anyone near him who could set stones. He gave me the name of Alistair Kelsey who has a Facebook page Alistair Kelsey Jewellery and web presence. The photos I have got are exactly what the rings would look like if I could make them myself, they could not be better. I dealt with all of my order for stones and rings by email only with no problems.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, elle! :wavey: Congrats on choosing a glowy piece of rough. :D May I ask your finger size (for the future ring)? Do you like larger stones or do you usually prefer something smaller? How often do you plan to wear the ring? Do you have any setting ideas? For example, if you know you want a halo, that might help determine the faceted stone size.

S

SparkliesLuver

It's not an oval, but here's my 11.1mm square cushion tourmaline on my size 9.5 finger. Hope this helps!

img_8904.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1439318036|3913401 said:
Not to forget the beautiful rings my stones are set in. I am in UK and asked Doug if he knew of anyone near him who could set stones. He gave me the name of Alistair Kelsey who has a Facebook page Alistair Kelsey Jewellery and web presence. The photos I have got are exactly what the rings would look like if I could make them myself, they could not be better. I dealt with all of my order for stones and rings by email only with no problems.

Pyramid: do you find Alistair's prices to be reasonable? His photos on FB and his website are gorgeous! I might need to contact him for some stone settings (too bad I am in the US, but maybe Doug could send my stone directly to him.....)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1439306837|3913321 said:
yay, more people being obsessed with electric blue topaz! :wavey:

I felt similarly, and also have a stone being cut by Doug. I chose a round cut (since that was the best shape for the rough he had when I got in touch with him). Doug was super patient with my million questions while I was choosing which round cut I wanted, and I felt similarly to you in that it was hard to decide on one just based on the photos from his site alone. But I would definitely ask him as many questions as you want, since he is really understanding and helpful to work with :bigsmile: I ended up choosing the antique round shape, but spent a bunch of time drooling over all of his gorgeous cuts.

For what it's worth, I love the shape of the Supernova cut from his site, and also his Under the Dome (probably because I like the high crown).

Good luck with the process, and keep us posted! hopefully more experience PSers can chime in with thoughts, pictures, etc.

You're right, there are so many options, for cut, that it's overwhelming.
I really like the look of the supernova too (it's currently in first place, on my list).

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1439318142|3913402 said:
Hi, elle! :wavey: Congrats on choosing a glowy piece of rough. :D May I ask your finger size (for the future ring)? Do you like larger stones or do you usually prefer something smaller? How often do you plan to wear the ring? Do you have any setting ideas? For example, if you know you want a halo, that might help determine the faceted stone size.

I'm going with a right hand ring in a 5.25
My tastes are all over the board but I do like showy pieces.
Right now, I'm thinking about a 8x11 or a 9x12.
I'm planning on it being an occasional wear ring.

I'm not sure on the setting yet. I plan on having one made by David Klass (he did a wonderful job on my last setting).
I may be leaning towards a halo setting though (who can resist the sparkles :love: ). If I do end up getting a halo, im worried that the 9x12 could be too big.

I just have to add that your tourmaline is utterly gorgeous. Anytime you want to lend it out, I'll be first in line. :naughty:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1439319708|3913416 said:
SparkliesLuver|1439318142|3913402 said:

I'm going with a right hand ring in a 5.25
My tastes are all over the board but I do like showy pieces. I'm planning on it being an occasional wear ring.

I'm not sure on the setting yet. I plan on having one made by David Klass (he did a wonderful job on my last setting).
I may be leaning towards a halo setting though (who can resist the sparkles :love: ).

I just have to add that your tourmaline is utterly gorgeous. Anytime you want to lend it out, I'll be first in line. :naughty:

Based on the pics from Pyramid's ovals, I'd say I bet the supernova would look amazing in a halo. It would be a showstopper I bet :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Based upon your information, and my gut feeling, I'd go with an 8x11 or 8x10 stone if you want a halo. I love my tourmaline but adding a halo would probably have been too big, even with my mammoth hands. :lol: But that's just me! It all has to speak to you and work for you in the end.

Thank you very much! I appreciate that. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have an oval CS that is set in a ring except my mum's ruby ring (now mine):

rubycluster_01.jpg

The ruby cabochon looks like it could be 8 x 6mm, and the ring finger is Size 9.5 US.

This is an aqua 10.81 x 6.33mm in an EC cut, and it looks a bit small on my chunky Size 10.5 US middle finger, hence I am re-sizing it to fit the ring finger instead.

jdaquaring_04.jpg

Here is a pic of a just-over 9mm rubellite and a just-over 10mm white topaz on my chubby hand:

jwrubelliteandwhitetopaz_03.jpg

As for the size of the stone to go for, IMHO, it depends on finger size, setting, personal style and lifestyle. If it is intended as occasional ring for the evenings, then go big and make it a cocktail ring. If it is to be worn during the day, then a smaller stone may be more appropriate.

DK :))

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1439318896|3913410 said:
Pyramid|1439318036|3913401 said:

Pyramid: do you find Alistair's prices to be reasonable? His photos on FB and his website are gorgeous! I might need to contact him for some stone settings (too bad I am in the US, but maybe Doug could send my stone directly to him.....)

I found his price good but not cheap. He tells people on his website to contact him for prices so I would not want to put it here what I paid. He called my rings handmade wire settings and they are 18kt yellow and white gold which I asked for. He works in all metals. He sent me a quote before the work started so I knew when I agreed the full cost. The diamonds he told me would be F SI1.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news from Doug OP? :wavey:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1440231016|3917630 said:

Yes. We had some slow back and forth so it took a bit longer to work out the details.
He's cutting me an 8x11 supernova oval. :dance:

Now I have to wait (totally impatiently) for the cutting process. :wall:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1440244356|3917667 said:

Yes. We had some slow back and forth so it took a bit longer to work out the details.

Sounds great!!! 8x11 is a really good and luxurious size.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1440245212|3917669 said:
elle_71125|1440244356|3917667 said:

Sounds great!!! 8x11 is a really good and luxurious size.

I'm pretty excited. I loved the look of pyramid's natural blue topaz (in the Omni design). :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, both stones that were cut for Pyramid are absolutely stunning (in the Omi and Supernova design) and so will be yours!

Do you have any setting ideas yet? Pyramids ring were made by Alistair Kelsey in Australia. He makes really gorgeous design. Simple and classic elegance.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to give you some eye candy ideas....this is my "dream" oval setting. I've spoken to Alistair about it, and the price is fair (just perhaps a little out of my range at the moment). Also, he seems incredibly nice and helpful. Just in case you need ideas :)

10845703_1170055393020029_6163727889996481073_o.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1440259080|3917733 said:
Just to give you some eye candy ideas....this is my "dream" oval setting. I've spoken to Alistair about it, and the price is fair (just perhaps a little out of my range at the moment). Also, he seems incredibly nice and helpful. Just in case you need ideas :)

10845703_1170055393020029_6163727889996481073_o.jpg

I love this! Is this also your inspiration setting for your round Lovedogs?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs: love your inspiration setting (confession: I also luuuurve the color of the stone in the photo of you inspiration setting :wink2: )

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I'd LOVE to say that this is the setting I'm going to put the electric blue topaz in, it sadly isn't :(

I am fairly sure its going to be set by Sally at HoW, which I am excited about! But at some point I am DETERMINED to make it mine. But to be honest, I really think that setting would do best w. an oval. That's partially why I'm not going to set my antique round in it. So I think that the OP should put her oval in this (or something like it), because it will look AMAZING!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The Doug's topaz club is getting bigger and bigger. :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since my stone, from Doug, is now cut, I think it's time to work on setting ideas.
I posted pics of the stone in Acinom's electric blue topaz tread but I will put a couple here for ease of use.

image_3850.jpg
image_3849.jpg

Stats: Oval Supernova, Eye Clean, 11.2 x 8 x 7.46mm, 4.5ct

So, anyone have any input on settings?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some I like.

Not a great picture but I think this is Julianne Hough's engagement ring.
image_3851.jpg

image_3852.jpg
image_3853.jpg
image_3854.jpg
image_3855.jpg

Anybody else have any great ideas. Input is always welcome. :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one from LM:

r6831_1-0751-5wx.jpg

Looking forward to see your finished ring, and thanks for sharing the pics of your finished stone - it is beautiful! :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1442360785|3928181 said:
I like this one from LM:

r6831_1-0751-5wx.jpg

Looking forward to see your finished ring, and thanks for sharing the pics of your finished stone - it is beautiful! :love:

Goodness, that is one gorgeous ring! Thanks for sharing it. I love the way it looks like a flower. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results