shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Amethyst purchase!! First time buyer!

Subu

Rough_Rock
I have been looking into buying an amethyst for a while now. Recently I decided to get a stone (see attached pic) from coloradogems. The stone is from the four peaks mine in Arizona. Being a first time buyer of amethyst, I would love to hear the community’s thoughts on the stone!
1716319442932.png

Hello there and welcome! I'm a big amethyst enthusiast. Love that this guy is an asscher cut... you don't see many of those with quartz. As far as the color and clarity, I'd ask for a video to get a better idea. Happy shopping!!

Subu

Rough_Rock
Hello there and welcome! I'm a big amethyst enthusiast. Love that this guy is an asscher cut... you don't see many of those with quartz. As far as the color and clarity, I'd ask for a video to get a better idea. Happy shopping!!

I’m waiting on the stone as it’s being shipped now. I will add videos once i receive it. This pic and the previous one are from the vendor. I’ve seen positive comments about Coloradogems on PS before so I decided to give them a shot and I have a little time to decide if I want to keep the stone. They list the stone as having a Siberian color with slight veil at 10X

Attachments

• 1716320526981.jpeg
    1716320526981.jpeg
    622.7 KB · Views: 7
I have never seen an amethyst with that red of a base shade! I've seen bright red/pink flashes, but wow. Interesting! Siberian color is indeed equated with a rich grape jam color and has those telltale flashes. I look forward to seeing your pix/vids when received! Hope you love it!!

Subu

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I just got the stone pending approval. I took a couple of videos in sunlight using my iPhone. Is this color accurate for a four peaks? The seller did mention that it has an inclusion at the corner. Is this a deal breaker ? Do let me know!!

Thanks!!!

Is the inclusion eye visible? Will it compromise durability? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, I'm not all that familiar with four peaks material, although I like that it's mined in the US. But if the seller described the color as "Siberian type," it should have a rich grape jelly body that flashes pink and even blue. The saturation should likewise be intense. If the color is drab or brownish in person, I'd keep looking, only because Uruguayan material can be really stunning and it's so inexpensive. :)

Subu

Rough_Rock
I wouldn’t say the inclusion is visually problematic. It does look fairly clean from a foot or so. I definitely see a deep purple and it seems to have red and pink flashes (no blue?). The seller is charging me about 40$/ct for this stone. I know that’s in the right ballpark, but I don’t know what to look for to confirm the quality first hand. Being a first time toe dipper into the colored gems, I really don’t want to get burnt so hopefully I’m not overpaying ??

Here’s a video I took with flash for reference:

Thanks!!

I wouldn’t say the inclusion is visually problematic. It does look fairly clean from a foot or so. I definitely see a deep purple and it seems to have red and pink flashes (no blue?). The seller is charging me about 40$/ct for this stone. I know that’s in the right ballpark, but I don’t know what to look for to confirm the quality first hand. Being a first time toe dipper into the colored gems, I really don’t want to get burnt so hopefully I’m not overpaying ??

Here’s a video I took with flash for reference:

Thanks!!

The color sounds right to me... red flashes are highly prized in amethyst. It also sounds like the inclusion isn't too bothersome. How many carats is the stone?

About 7 carats.

Yeah, so it does sound like you're in the ballpark for American-mined material. I've heard the four peaks mine is small and difficult to access/excavate, so I'm sure that creates a premium. I don't think it produces much gem-grade material (like this) either. If this were, say, Brazilian or African material, I'd expect the price to be lower. Even Uruguayan material, which is my favorite, is rather inexpensive. The Siberian material, which is now mostly extinct, fetches some impressive pricing. Anyway... I'm off on a tangent! I think the price you paid seems appropriate. Do you love the stone? That's what really matters. :D

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
4 peaks never pictures/video with 1/10th the awesomeness as in person.
The camera can not capture the tone or the flash right.
They also tend to look more red and dark in photos
This one is hitting all the right notes including the zoning from the side in the pavilion that is typical of 4 peaks.
Coloradogems has been selling 4 peak stones for a very long time, it might even have been 20 years ago I first came across them.
I have recommended them in the past.
Im drooling it looks yummy!

Subu

Rough_Rock
Yeah, so it does sound like you're in the ballpark for American-mined material. I've heard the four peaks mine is small and difficult to access/excavate, so I'm sure that creates a premium. I don't think it produces much gem-grade material (like this) either. If this were, say, Brazilian or African material, I'd expect the price to be lower. Even Uruguayan material, which is my favorite, is rather inexpensive. The Siberian material, which is now mostly extinct, fetches some impressive pricing. Anyway... I'm off on a tangent! I think the price you paid seems appropriate. Do you love the stone? That's what really matters. :D

I do like the color! The stone does have a great tone and under a flash, it looks amazing. I have looked at the Uruguayan stones locally in NY. I really like the deep blue tint they have. Couldn't find any for under 30$/carat though. Do you have any suggestions for any vendors online ? I am also not seeing many Uruguayan stones as readily as Brazilian ones.

Thanks!

Subu

Rough_Rock
4 peaks never pictures/video with 1/10th the awesomeness as in person.
The camera can not capture the tone or the flash right.
They also tend to look more red and dark in photos
This one is hitting all the right notes including the zoning from the side in the pavilion that is typical of 4 peaks.
Coloradogems has been selling 4 peak stones for a very long time, it might even have been 20 years ago I first came across them.
I have recommended them in the past.
Im drooling it looks yummy!

Yeah, I have had a decent experience with them till now. I like the stone as well. I wanted to get some reassurance from the community that I’m not getting blindsided by my inexperience.

I do like the color! The stone does have a great tone and under a flash, it looks amazing. I have looked at the Uruguayan stones locally in NY. I really like the deep blue tint they have. Couldn't find any for under 30$/carat though. Do you have any suggestions for any vendors online ? I am also not seeing many Uruguayan stones as readily as Brazilian ones.

Thanks!

I'm so glad you're pleased! Seems like a rare piece of American mining history to me, which makes the material doubly interesting. Enjoy it!!

Yes, the Brazilian stones are the most plentiful (and my least favorite... although there are some nice lavenders to be found). The cool thing about Uruguayan material is that it's untreated. So the tone is darker than your average amethyst. But it's so worth it, because without heat, it keeps its strong pleochroism. You'll see a cooler purple base color with pink and blue flashes. The four peaks material, by comparison, seems to have a warmer base color, which I also love. Anyway, Uruguayan amethyst's availability seems to be going the way of Siberian amethyst, but keep an eye out at the usual haunts for an appearance.

So how will you be setting this beauty? :)

Subu

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I did find a couple of precision cut octagon rose de France amethysts from Jeff Davies’s store that I really liked. I was going to contrast them like a trellis with this one

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love 4 peaks amethyst. Such lovely material

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results