shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey guys and gals. I looked at a few stones today and I narrowed it down. the one I am looking at is this.....

.75 carat GIA Rating
F
VS1
Excellent Cut
Total depth: 62.1
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pav Angle: 40.8
Polish VG
Price is $3600

Thoughts? On the cut adviser it comes out as Very Good and falls in the GIA Excellent. Should I wait for a better Cut? I really liked this stone and it seemed to sparkle amazingly! This is at my local family owned guy.

Thanks!
Joe

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, it depends....

you can get something 10% heavier for at least 10% less... but not everyone wants that.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
explain? Online?

I would like to work with a local store.

joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
The stone shows a 2.7 on the cut adviser...

joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 7:26:33 PM
Author:HpiRally
Hey guys and gals. I looked at a few stones today and I narrowed it down. the one I am looking at is this.....

.75 carat GIA Rating
F
VS1
Excellent Cut
Total depth: 62.1
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pav Angle: 40.8
Polish VG
Price is $3600

Thoughts? On the cut adviser it comes out as Very Good and falls in the GIA Excellent. Should I wait for a better Cut? I really liked this stone and it seemed to sparkle amazingly! This is at my local family owned guy.

Thanks!
Joe
The angles are borderline steep deep, so if you like the diamond check it out away from the store lights and look to see if there are any dark areas on the surface of the diamond, particularly a darkish ring around the table, if not then it might be fine.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
I noticed that darkish ring around a few other stones but not this one...I checked it out in natural light on my fingers, but I will do it again. I do want to look at other stones, but for now this one has the best look of the 10-15 I have seen.

thanks
joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 4:42:35 PM
Author: HpiRally
I noticed that darkish ring around a few other stones but not this one...I checked it out in natural light on my fingers, but I will do it again. I do want to look at other stones, but for now this one has the best look of the 10-15 I have seen.

thanks
joe
Then it is definitely worth putting on the shortlist for purchase if you like this one, especially as you have compared it to others.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yeah I looked at 11 stones that day. Everything from an F to an I, from VVS2 to SI1 and this one is the one I liked the best.

I would look at them with my eye, then with the loop, then with my eye again once I knew were everything was. I would look under the store light, then bright light, then outside on the tweezers and then on my fingers. this stone performed the best.

I am going to hold onto this stone while I look at others...I dont plan on asking till july.

joe

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Joe - Just for comparison, you might stop by a Jareds and look at their peerless stones (which are AGS0, and generally well cut). This might help you get some perspective, and if you still like the stone you found as much or better, then go for it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 2:04:00 PM
Author: RBsearch
Joe - Just for comparison, you might stop by a Jareds and look at their peerless stones (which are AGS0, and generally well cut). This might help you get some perspective, and if you still like the stone you found as much or better, then go for it.
This is always good advice, that way you are comparing the diamond to those of known cut quality.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2009 2:04:00 PM
Author: RBsearch

awesome! Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely stop on by! I love the place I am working with so I will stay with them but I would like to see an AGS0 for comparison.

Thanks!
Joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
alright! so I stopped by the local Jareds and checked out a peerless. The looks were not that different to me...They had a .74 Round, F, SI1 for $4200. The price of $3600 seems like a pretty good price to me.

I am going to hold that diamond and then look at some more to see if I get down into the Excellent range.

joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
the current jeweler I am working with found this one....

F
VS2
61.6 Depth
56 Table
34.5 CA
40.8 PA

It rates at 1.3 on the cut advisor..the only down fall is it pushes my budget a bit. I figured $3500 for the stone...and this one comes in at $4200.

thoughts?
Joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
no body? nothing?

help!

lol

joe

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 2:15:54 PM

F

VS2

61.6 Depth

56 Table

34.5 CA

40.8 PA

It rates at 1.3 on the cut advisor..the only down fall is it pushes my budget a bit. I figured $3500 for the stone...and this one comes in at $4200.

thoughts?

Joe

Hi Joe. Based on the numbers, this one looks better. But that''s the problem, and probably the reason you haven''t gotten a better response: all we have is the numbers. Usually an HCA above 2.0 should be evaluated through pictures, idealscope images, and of course in person. The first one you picked looks a little deep, and that could mean worse light performance, but not always. Since you have seen it in person, and you like it as much as (or even better than) the other stones you''ve seen, I would say go for it. But now we are just using your eyes and your interpretation, so that makes it a more difficult judgment. Sorry my opinion isn''t as helpful as you might have hoped!

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
plenty helpful...thanks for the response!

joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 2:15:54 PM

F
VS2
61.6 Depth
56 Table
34.5 CA
40.8 PA

thoughts?
Joe
Hi Joe,

This one looks promising by the numbers, do you have the diameter and girdle thickness also?

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
alright...so I went and checked out the two stones. I think I am going to with the first one. They both performed very well in all types of light. I also couldnt really tell a difference besides the size of them.

I have come to the conclusion that the numbers mean a lot to narrow down the search, but the not the end all be all of things. They looked very similar.

joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 2:01:32 PM
alright...so I went and checked out the two stones. I think I am going to with the first one. They both performed very well in all types of light. I also couldnt really tell a difference besides the size of them.

I have come to the conclusion that the numbers mean a lot to narrow down the search, but the not the end all be all of things. They looked very similar.

joe
Thats great Joe, you have done your research and used your eyes!

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I am so excited...I just wish the ring would be done already! I want to ask her to be my wife...so excited I cant control myself!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 1:24:18 AM
Thanks! I am so excited...I just wish the ring would be done already! I want to ask her to be my wife...so excited I cant control myself!
LOL! I understand! Enjoy this very special and exciting time and please post some pics for us when the ring is done!

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
will do...I love this ring and I know she will too.

I just stink at keeping good secrets! argghh!

joe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results