shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Radiant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenfeeley

Rough_Rock
Could use some feedback on a diamond I''m looking at.

GIA

Radiant
Depth 73ish%
Table 76ish%?
Girdle Med to slightly thick
Polish and Symmetry Good
SI1
E
Flour Faint

I''ve got a faxed copy of the cert, and depth/table are really hard to read, as are measurements. But I''ve seen it and like it a lot.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Ken

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
What you are going to hear about radiants and all fancy shapes is that you really have to see the stones. Since you've done this and it passes, good. Have you looked at other radiants and compared them with this one. One of the first things that sticks out is the table % being larger than the total depth %. But as others will tell you, that doesn't gurantee good or bad results. The only real way to know for sure is to look and compare many differnt stones, under different lighting conditions. Or, get more information such as a sarin or gemscope report. Crown and pavillion measurements play a significant part in the cut quality. Take a look at the fancy cut charts in the tutorial on this website (second tab on left at top of page) but use only as a guide and don't be discouraged if a really great looking diamond doesn't meet the ideal cut criteria.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/20/2003 11:12:56 AM kenfeeley wrote:

Could use some feedback on a diamond I'm looking at.

GIA

Radiant
Depth 73ish%
Table 76ish%?
Girdle Med to slightly thick
Polish and Symmetry Good
SI1
E
Flour Faint

I've got a faxed copy of the cert, and depth/table are really hard to read, as are measurements. But I've seen it and like it a lot.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Ken
----------------

Also, faint fluorescence is no big deal and is actually a neat characteristic. Verify that an SI 1 is truly eye-clean and that you can't see any inclusions without a loupe. The girdle is fine. I wouldn't buy until you see the original certification and when you do buy, look into having an independent appraisal done by an INDEPENDENT appraiser (not the seller) to verify the stone and provide feedback on the overall quality and value.

Is this an on-line experience, I'm guessing not?

kenfeeley

Rough_Rock
No, this was an in-person experience, though out-of-state for me. Was very pleased with the service and selection. I did indeed see the stone and I really like the color. Compared it to some other radiants which really made the color difference stand out. Definitely no inclusions to the naked eye, but looked at them with loop and scope.

I might be wrong about the measurements, the fax is a bit blurred. I also really feel like the cert if more than valid, having seen the inclusions myself and now seeing them diagrammed on the cert.

For my clarification, you are saying that, should I purchase it, I would want to get it independently apprasied? I guess I would have to do that prior to getting it set. How would all of that work given that I am out of state and would likely call them up to close the deal, make arrangements, etc.

Really appreciate the input!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/20/2003 11:48
6.gif
9 AM kenfeeley wrote:

For my clarification, you are saying that, should I purchase it, I would want to get it independently apprasied? I guess I would have to do that prior to getting it set. How would all of that work given that I am out of state and would likely call them up to close the deal, make arrangements, etc.

Really appreciate the input!
----------------

Having it appraised/verified just adds some peace of mind that nothing went wrong, intentional or not. It's very unlikely this jeweler would try to rip you off, but not entirely unheard of. The verification would simply cover the basics by verifying dimensions, color, inclusion plots, etc with the cert so you know exactly what you are getting for your money. It's easier to do this with the diamond loose, but possible to have it done once set. And you could have it verified during an insurance appraisal of the set ring, but they may have to remove the stone from the prongs, no big deal. Just to be cautious, check with them about return policies before making any commitments (ie, how long, full refund or credit only).

Are you considering shopping around and comparing what others may have or how they look in comparison. It may be worthwhile to shop around with other jewelers/dealers to compare their stock/service/cost. Unfortunately, a lot of the experts don't weigh in as often on fancy cuts, in particular radiants. I'm no expert, just a guy who's been through and still going through the process. I'm having a ring made for my radiant now.

Have you compared the specs/costs of radiants listed here on this site, try running a Search by Quality on the pricescope homepage to compare prices. Some of these vendors actually post pics of the actual diamond. It's worth taking a look at if you haven't already.

kenfeeley

Rough_Rock
Homer J, you're the man. Thanks for all of your feedback. Based on your advice I took a look around the site just for comparison. I'm more than a bit shocked to see that I believe I see the very diamond I describe above on this site. Is this possible?

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=403007

Each and every one of those measurements are exactly the same as the cert I have for the stone. Note the slight corrections on what I have listed above. The site listing actually helped verify what were difficult to read measurements.

Given that everything is exactly the same, this has to be the same diamond, right? Definitely interesting to see the price listed here compared to what they have offered me thus far.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
The same exact diamond being listed in multiple locations happens frequently. This is because many dealers/vendors act as brokers for diamond suppliers. This can work in your favor, b/c it can mean more competitive prices. Is the cert # the same, if so, then it is the same diamond. The folks at whiteflash are recommended here frequently and Lesley and Diamonbob frequently give advice on the forum. Usually a vendor who doesn't have the diamond, will arrange to bring it is, assess it for you and then if it's the one have it sent to you or a 3rd party like an appraiser for verification and your approval. Try to see who can offer you the best price, also, it may not hurt to give the folks at whiteflash, goodoldgold, niceice, usacerted, etc. a call with what you are looking for and see what they can do for you. Use their expertise to help you find a great looking stone. My bias for the internet route may be shining through, but I found the B&M jewelers to be generally unhelpful and difficult to work with. But this may not be your impression.

kenfeeley

Rough_Rock
To address a couple of your questions.....

Not sure if the cert# is the same, can't read it on my faxed copy and don't see it on the web site. But everything else is the same, so it must be. Price difference is large. 50% at the store.

But this store has been very good to work at. I've spent some time at a variety of places in three different states, and this one location certainly stands far above the rest. Patient, informative, not pushy, etc. But apparently a price comes along with this!

Based on what you see at the address above for the diamond, how does it look to you? Having seen it in person, it certainly looks to me very very nice. Great color. And the store (of course) has a setting that I really like. I guess this discovery gives me a lot more leverage in negotiating with the store location? Any drawbacks to point-blank telling them I've seen it on line for $2K less?

Thanks for all the info, glad I came across this site today!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely you now have leverage. It sounds like a huge mark-up, but that's about right for local B&M establishments. Sometimes they mark up 100 or even 200%. That's why I prefer to go the internet route, that's a few extra thousand to pay off loans or drop into a house payment. Since they seem to be the only ones listing this particular diamond, I would call/email whiteflash and see if it is available through them before leaning on your local guy. I doubt they will match their prices. I would be concerned that if they actually have the diamond in stock, they may not make it available to another vendor if they know you've shown so much interest. Why give up a sale when they can squeeze a little more out of you. Unless the setting is a custom design, you will likely find the same one or something very similar on-line or somewhere else and probably for less also. Also, don't forget no slaes tax and the pscope discount, that's another several hundred in savings and free shipping. I don't like being a cheerleader but it seems like a no-brainer on the cost savings.

As for how it looks, I can't say. You are the best judge of that since you have seen it.

Try re-posting your questions with the title "What do you think of this 1.02 ct" in order to get more diverse responses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results