shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - where to buy a diamond in NY ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lotte

Rough_Rock
I am currently living in London and after doing a lot of research here and visiting lots of shops in Hatton Garden etc, we are seriously considering going to New York for a weekend to buy our diamond, as I feel we would get better value for money there. Also I have found that there is a real lack of information given about anything other than the basic colour etc here. I would prefer to do this than buy over the internet as would really like to be able to see the diamond first. Given that we will only be in NY for the w/e and won''t have heaps of time, can anyone recommend any diamond shops and where to go ?
Failing a trip to NY - would really appreciate any advice from anyone in the UK who has brought a diamond from a US website and had it shipping over.

Thanks a lot
twirl.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful! If you are not experienced, used to the pressure to buy and are not sure what you want...most of the dealers there will eat your lunch!

You might use the opportunity to look - but do it with a thick skin.

There are a number of us here who can perhaps offer you help.

Regards,

dave57

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a small diamond ring (not an engagment ring) for my girlfriend from Good Old Gold (www.goodoldgold.com). They have both a web presence and a regular store in New York.

A suggestion would be to work with them before any trip, and narrow down your options. Then, I'm sure they could have multiple options available to look at for your arrival. As they provide tonnes of information on their website, you might even be sufficiently comfortable to purchase online without making the trip.

I went with them based on the testimonials available at this site and others. I'm sure there are other options, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

-dave

Beith

Rough_Rock
Beware when you buy in NY. Beware of fakes especially Moissanites. Moissanites will pass as diamonds using normal diamond testers; they need special Moissanite/diamond testers. I saw some innocent looking dealers pull out their diamond testers and demonstrate in front of the customers that their diamonds are genuine, but in fact, they are later confirmed as Moissanites.

Even though with proper papers, verify the dimensions and the identity flaws documented on the paper. Beware
errrr.gif

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
I totally second talking to the dealers on this forum. I spoke with Jonathon at www.goodoldgold.com and had an excellent experience with him.

I purchased my diamond from Barry at www.superbcert.com and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Both these guys are in New York. A few phone calls and some research is probably the best way to go. If you don't go to New York, remember that almost all of the venders (if not all) who frequent the forums here will refund you're money if you're not satisfied with the diamond.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/8/2003 1:33:35 AM Lugus wrote:
I totally second talking to the dealers on this forum. I spoke with Jonathon at www.goodoldgold.com and had an excellent experience with him.

I purchased my diamond from Barry at www.superbcert.com and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Both these guys are in New York. A few phone calls and some research is probably the best way to go. If you don't go to New York, remember that almost all of the venders (if not all) who frequent the forums here will refund you're money if you're not satisfied with the diamond.----------------
Both Jonathan and Barry have excellent reputations! Odds are that you'll get ripped if you try to take on 47th Avenue by yourself, but you'll do great by working with these two gentlemen...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results