shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ! what is wrong with the specs of this GIA Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
Round Brilliant
Measurements 8.38-8.41 x 4.98
Carat 2.10
Depth 59.3%
table 60%
girdle: very thin to thin
cutlet none
polish VG
symmetry VG
clarity VS1
color G

GIA Certification
fluor: none

seems it should fire and be brillant....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2007 9:48:52 AM
Author:lynne160

seems it should fire and be brillant....
what makes you think this?
34.gif

welcome to ps!
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ll also need the crown and pavilion information off the GIA cert. It will be very helpful to see the if angle combo is good or bad.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome.

Are you saying this diamond doesn''t sparkle the way you want it to? If you could list the crown and pavillion angles which you will find on the grading report, that would help, I don''t know if this diamond would fall into what we call a 60 60 for depth and table, this cut has many fans so it could still be very lovely.

If you could list the info above and describe what you are seeing compared to what you want to see, perhaps that would help. Diamonds don''t sparkle all the time, the light needs to be right, but they should look at least attractive when in '' rest mode.'' Hope this helps get you started.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus a dirty diamond doesn''t sparkle much, so a good cleaning will help.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
there aren''t any crown angle measurements on my cert....how would i find this out? Do older GIA reports not show this info?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is your cert? Yes, the older GIA cert does not have this information. Sometimes, on the lower right side IIRC (where the picture of the diamond is), the information is written right on the picture.

If you've had this stone for a while, I'd say just keep it clean and enjoy it. If it something you are thinking of buying/within the return period, then I'd ask the vendor for a Sarin to get the crown and pavilion information.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See the picture below: do you have the info on it?

diamondcalculation.gif

lynne160

Rough_Rock
i do not have that pix.... i am thinking of upgrading to ideal cut and higher color like an E-F...Will i notice a difference in your opinion?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how well cut or poorly cut your stone is currently. A well cut diamond will sparkle almost all the time (provided it is reasonably clean and not crudded with dirt
9.gif
). A well cut stone will also help a lower coloured stone look whiter face up, so if budget is tight, a H will still be very white and you don't have to necessarily shop for an E, unless you want to.
31.gif

Do you have a high end jewellery store local to you? Someplace that sells Cartier, Tiffany and Heart of Fire stones? They usually sell well cut diamonds and you can see if it sparkles any better than your current diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2007 10:37:22 AM
Author: lynne160
i do not have that pix.... i am thinking of upgrading to ideal cut and higher color like an E-F...Will i notice a difference in your opinion?
You may well notice a difference with a tighter cut diamond, colour depends on your own colour perception and the size of the new diamond you are considering. Upping the cut quality may well give you the sparkle you seek without even upgrading the colour, unless that is what you want to do.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
what info do i need to rate a diamond on the HCA that i see people talking about? sorry i am new.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
thanks...when choosing a diamond what are the most important characteristics for a fiery diamond? i would rather not look at Hearts of fire or a lazare..

thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2007 11:42:35 AM
thanks...when choosing a diamond what are the most important characteristics for a fiery diamond? i would rather not look at Hearts of fire or a lazare..

thanks
a complimentary crown/pavilion angle relationship which will result in great performance. the easiest way to find one is by buying a diamond with an ags grading report that has a grade of ''0'' in light performance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the cut is the most important factor, which the Lazare and Hearts of Fire have. A well cut stone will have lots of fire and sparkle. And as you asked earlier what a well cut diamond should look like, the two branded stones mentioned earlier are good examples.

To avoid the hefty pricetags of the Lazare and HoF, you just need to search a little harder on your own, which is entirely possible but takes more work. Hence, this is where the crown and pavilion angles are needed to type into the HCA for it to calculate the combo angle for you.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
what would i look for in a gia diamond....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2007 11:48:16 AM
what would i look for in a gia diamond....
a complimentary crown/pavilion angle relationship which will result in great performance.

lynne160

Rough_Rock
what is the link for teh HCA?

lynne160

Rough_Rock
for hCA report if GIA cutlet says NONE do I enter a 0?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results