shape
carat
color
clarity

help w/ ultra diamond outlet-peter lam

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enyouartist

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of Ultra Diamond Outlets? My girlfriend and I went in to look at rings for the FIRST time!

She picked out an 18K .45ctw Rd/Bgt Bridal Semi Mount. The best deal they offered us was $921 for both the e-ring and the w-band, plus a $275 platinum prong mounting fee. She loved the ring! We also looked at a round diamond:

6.25-6.33X3.94
1.01carat-VS2 clarity-H color
Depth-62.6% - Table-58%
Girdle-Thick to Vthick,faceted
Polish-good Symmetry-good Floresence-None

Price: $5721

Three questions: 1) What do you guys think the prices of the diamond and the rings? 2) I told her that I thought I could get her a better diamond elsewhere, but if she loved the ring and its desing,I would get it for her right there and then. She teetered back and forth. (We were in the store for three hours!) Finally, I told the saleperson that if they threw in the prong setting, I would buy it. They couldn''t, so we walked out. My girlfriend later told me that she couldn''t believe I was actually buying it, and that she was so nervous! She said all these thoughts went through her head: Is this the ring I''m going to wear forever? Do I really love the ring? NOTE: It is the only store that we''ve been to.

Funny anecdote: We were both exhausted after walking out, but I saw Zales around the corner. She said, " I couldn''t POSSIBLY look at another ri..(mid-sentence) why, ya want to?! :)

Question #3-Did I do the right thing by including her in the decision? I want her to like the ring, so that''s why we took a look at it. We got sized and everything. But did I just confuse her and add to her worries? From what I sensed, she really loved the ring. The ring is nothing that I''ve seen before. It''s a Peter Lam limited edition. Is he well-known? I really wanted it to be a surprise; I hope this doesn''t get her going too much! Can I get some advice from as many people as possible on this issue? I''m thinking about returning to the store and getting the rings but not the diamond. Help! Please.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/2/2004 12:16:24 AM enyouartist wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of Ultra Diamond Outlets? My girlfriend and I went in to look at rings for the FIRST time!

She picked out an 18K .45ctw Rd/Bgt Bridal Semi Mount. The best deal they offered us was $921 for both the e-ring and the w-band, plus a $275 platinum prong mounting fee. She loved the ring! We also looked at a round diamond:

6.25-6.33X3.94
1.01carat-VS2 clarity-H color
Depth-62.6% - Table-58%
Girdle-Thick to Vthick,faceted
Polish-good Symmetry-good Floresence-None

Price: $5721

Three questions: 1) What do you guys think the prices of the diamond and the rings? 2) I told her that I thought I could get her a better diamond elsewhere, but if she loved the ring and its desing,I would get it for her right there and then. She teetered back and forth. (We were in the store for three hours!) Finally, I told the saleperson that if they threw in the prong setting, I would buy it. They couldn't, so we walked out. My girlfriend later told me that she couldn't believe I was actually buying it, and that she was so nervous! She said all these thoughts went through her head: Is this the ring I'm going to wear forever? Do I really love the ring? NOTE: It is the only store that we've been to.

Funny anecdote: We were both exhausted after walking out, but I saw Zales around the corner. She said, ' I couldn't POSSIBLY look at another ri..(mid-sentence) why, ya want to?! :)

Question #3-Did I do the right thing by including her in the decision? I want her to like the ring, so that's why we took a look at it. We got sized and everything. But did I just confuse her and add to her worries? From what I sensed, she really loved the ring. The ring is nothing that I've seen before. It's a Peter Lam limited edition. Is he well-known? I really wanted it to be a surprise; I hope this doesn't get her going too much! Can I get some advice from as many people as possible on this issue? I'm thinking about returning to the store and getting the rings but not the diamond. Help! Please.----------------

enyouartist
You did the right thing by walking out on this stone the girdle is carrying too much weight the cutter want to make sure is over 1 ct ,a well cut stone in this size should be 6.50 mm.h vs2 is an ex combo..keep looking.

enyouartist

Rough_Rock
Thanks Tigger. Do you think I did the right thing by going ring shopping with my girlfriend? What did you think of the ring? Should I go back and get it? Girls out there, what do you gals think?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there-

I think you probably did the right thing, on all counts, but I don't know your girl. Some women like to have a say in their ring, others prefer a complete surprise. Some, like me, started out wanting a surprise, but now, shopping for anniversary jewelry, want much more control. So, assuming you know your girl, I'm betting you did the right thing.

I also think it's a good idea to shop around for a while -one, to give yourselves time to figure out what you like, and two, because it's just so fun! Let her look at more styles and take notes on what she likes. Maybe the ring you saw will remain her favorite, in which case you can always go back and get it for her.

As far as walking away from the diamond, yes, you did the right thing. I htink you can do better (I'm no expert though!). I wish I knew something about the ring style you mentioned, but I don't so someone else will have to give you assurances there...

Best of luck, and above all, enjoy this fun time!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... why not show her PS? This must be a personal thing, but it generally makes sense to know what to look for in a shop.

No idea what Peter lam's rings are like, but very few models remain particular to one maker - the most are copied and adapted a million times over.
rolleyes.gif

Their own site looks more promissing (LINK). Is the ring you mention listed? It may be worth doing some price comparison online for such things
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they are not acrtually telling customers the same stuff in the face. is there a good explanation for why they say "compare at 5 times our price???" Where should that be done? Could this merchandise be the same as Cartier's ? From what distance should I look then...

Maybe the price is actually decent for what they are selling, but how can common sense stay on track here
eek.gif

pl.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talking about price comparison...
I suppose the 20% premium for the same stuff sold by (and shipped from) the same seller on Amazon compared to their own site is well founded - 'cause on Amazon they don't even mention what weight the center stone is. The same picture is used on both postings. You like?

If there is a better explanation, it's beyond me.

PS: this is my first attempt to understand this type (completely new to me) of listings. I apologies in advance for any mistakes. Please feel free, Leonid, to remove this if you find the posts inappropriate.

Ultra.JPG

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmmm... I think I'd be running away from an "H-J" or minimum "I-J" and the I2 clarity on this one... I suspect a similar, if not identical, set can be made with a much better selection of stones...

Just my $.02

(I'm assuming from the price that these are nowhere near ideal cuts - I'd certainly consider an I color in a great cut! Personally, I wouldn't be comfy with an I2 for a ring, but that's a personal pref)

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I think it was great to take her with you -- she is the one who will wear this ring everyday. However, I would spend some time getting educated on stones and looking around at more settings. Some women know what they want for a ring way before it becomes a reality, and some don't. I know I changed my mind a lot as I started trying them on and thinking about it.

The stone you looked at doesn't look like a good stone -- toom much weight it hiding in the girdle. Read the tutorials on cut and do some online searches to get price comps and a feel for what you should be looking for and paying for it.

Good luck!

enyouartist

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice gals. I was a bit hesitant to take her to ring stores because I can see the glazed over look! Pandora's Box! That's the reason I initially wanted to keep it a surprise. I guess I'll wait on getting that ring from Ultra Diamonds and keep looking around with her.

My only question is, if we buy a ring together, do I stash it for the appropriate time? Won't she beg to see it every day until I ask?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of people here who got to help choose, and then had to wait. If you want to read about one of the saga's do a search of Nicrez (author) who went through this to the extreme. (He really stretched it out, but in the end, she was happy he did.)

And...she may be looking glazed now, but my bet is that she will over time figure out what she really likes, and it is better for you that that happens before you purchase than after.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results